223 hop-up

A

Anonymous

My neighbor has aquired a 63 Ford 3/4 ton Pickem up truck. He is adimant that i must have performance parts for it. I am big into 240 and 300 I6 motors. I don't have jack. Is there an aftermarket company that has anything. Or, do you guys have something for him.
Also, he needs to gear it out. I placed this here because it has the vintage running gear. What would be the best bolt up approach? Should he find the fabled 3+OD tranny to fit, should he change the gears in the rear end. I am unsure but believe that it is a Dana 60. It is too big to be a 44 and is certainly not a 9 inch. Or should he change rear ends entirely.

Thanks for any input,
Adam

DebateGeek":2h55n1ta said:
My neighbor has aquired a 63 Ford 3/4 ton Pickem up truck. He is adimant that i must have performance parts for it. I am big into 240 and 300 I6 motors. I don't have jack. Is there an aftermarket company that has anything. Or, do you guys have something for him.

Clifford still lists the following on their web site for the 223 cubic inch Ford six when mounted in a truck.

53-0020 Ford 216-223-262 Truck Headers 1952-64 2wd & 4wd.

53-0020-F%20300.jpg

Fittment: All 1952-64 Ford Trucks 215/223/262 cid 2wd & 4wd. Description: This is a shorty street rod header which includes the header gasket and street hookup kit. Average gains on a stock engine are 18-22% when bolting on this header. We have found great performance gains and a throaty muscle car sound when using 2 1/4" exhaust pipes and dual 3 chamber mufflers. The 3 chamber mufflers will reduce the resonation inside the cab. Want more power? Try using our X pipe (Part # 09-0250) and gain 6 to 10% more power!!!

43-4501 Ford 216-223-262 Ram Flow Water Heated Manifold

43-4501WH%20300.jpg

Fittment: All Ford 215/223/262 cid Description: Our Ram Flow Manifold is a single plane, single carb design, making it Clifford's most versatile manifold. It has a 4 barrel open plenum, allowing the user to mate a 2 barrel, 4 barrel or fuel injection system to the manifold with the addition of an adapter plate. This manifold is made of cast aluminum and is a competition style for performance. The true beauty of this manifold is that it works exceptionally well on the street, thanks to our water heated passage along the bottom of the manifold. No matter where in the world the user is located, the water heated passage is a must for daily street use. By using a water/coolant mix to heat the manifold, we can atomize the fuel without boiling it, creating a consistant running engine. This manifold requires a minimum of 350 cfm, and will not bolt onto your engine with the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds.

(Clifford also lists a header for use on the 223 when it's in a car rather than a truck, but that's not important here.)

Offhand I'd say an intake, a header, an appropriately sized 2 barrel carb, and a performance exhaust system ought to wake up that 223 six a bit. If he needs more than that, I would think a bit of mild cylinder head work to make it breathe a bit better, and perhaps a modest boost in the compression ratio would help, too.

Offhand I don't know anybody who stocks performance cams for the 223 Ford 6, but it wouldn't surprise me too much to learn that somebody does.

I'm going to take a bit of a side track here for a moment, so bear with me. I'll set this portion off in another color so people can skip by it if they'd like.

:)

It goes without saying that another option might be to stuff a larger engine, say, a built 300 or perhaps a V8 of some sort into the truck. I imagine that's something a lot of folks have done, but it'd almost certainly cost a lot more and be a lot more work.

Wikipedia lists the following engines as having been used in various years with the Fourth generation (1961–1966) F series trucks:

* 1961-1964 - 223 in³ (3.7 L) straight-6
* 1961-1964 - 292 in³ (4.8 L) Y-block V8
* 1965-1966 - 240 in³ (3.9 L) straight-6
* 1965-1966 - 300 in³ (4.9 L) straight-6
* 1965-1966 - 352 in³ (5.8 L) FE V8

If Ford installed those engines from the factory, then you can bet there are parts out there somewhere that would make it possible to swap most, if not all of them into his truck if he was interested in that sort of thing. Note, also, that the FE series engines also included the 360s and the 390s, not to mention the powerful 428s and 427s, so if he's looking for a really big increase in horsepower that should certainly be possible.

It's probably also possible to drop a Windsor block V8 into his truck, and if he really wanted to swap to a V8 I'd suggest that as an engine series to take seriously. A mildly built 351, for example, could be a really nice upgrade for that truck.

Okay, that little trip into fantasy land may have been fun, but let's get back to the real world.

It seems more likely to me that he'll stick with the 223 at least for now. If that is the case, then those upgrades I mentioned above ought to give the truck a bit more pep.

I found a few other threads here which might have some useful info.

Getting Ready to Old School Hot Rod a 223

Performance parts?

Also, go to the forum's search page and search for threads about the 223. Just use 223 as a search term and tell it to look in the Vintage Fords section. You'll get a bunch of hits and that will be a good place to look for more info.

Oh, and one other thing. I neglected to mention an ignition upgrade in my previous message, but that would be a really good idea, too. Several of the threads in the forum mention them already, so I just let you dig through those at your leisure.

Just keep in mind that the 223 has 4 mains rather than 7 like the 240 or 300 and don't hammer too hard. It's a good engine if treated reasonable, I run one, and intend to keep running it, but I don't beat it and it is stock. I run a T5 with a 3.70 rear behind it in a 62 F100 riding on 235 X 15 tires. I get 17 MPG in town and 23 MPG on the road with that combination.
Fred

shmoozo":x3ghlivt said:
I found a few other threads here which might have some useful info.

Getting Ready to Old School Hot Rod a 223

Performance parts?

Also, go to the forum's search page and search for threads about the 223. Just use 223 as a search term and tell it to look in the Vintage Fords section. You'll get a bunch of hits and that will be a good place to look for more info.

Oh, and one other thing. I neglected to mention an ignition upgrade in my previous message, but that would be a really good idea, too. Several of the threads in the forum mention them already, so I just let you dig through those at your leisure.

Schnieder racing will do any regrind you want for a $100 + shipping. I had mine re-ground to a 264F.

Back