223 trouble

1958F100

I have a 58 F100 with a 223 I beleive is out of a later 63or 64 ford. Anyways,, I was driving the other day and had the engine running down the road at a moderatly high RPM (65mph) and when I pulled into town I noticed alittle noise that sounded like a loud tapit,, very quiet though,, almost couldn't even make it out but ran fine. I went to where I was going and parked it for acouple hours then came back out started it up and it ran fine except for that very quiet tapit like sound. I pulled up to the pizza place to pick up a to go pizza and left the pickup run while I ran in. I came back out 5-8min later and it was running fine. I pulled out onto the street and started to accelerate normally and it started to miss, pop, bang, backfire. I didn't loose oil pressure. When coasting it didn't do anything but miss on 1 or 2 cylinders but when accelerating it would miss, pop, bang and backfire. I wasn't too far from home so I nursed it home. She never heated, never lossed oil pressure and wasn't leaking any fluid. Upon getting home I parked her and checked the oil, there was no water in oil. Starts but missing on 1-2 cylinders which I think are either cylinder 3 or 4 due to wet plugs on those cylinders. I pulled head cover and all push rods, arm and springs are workin properly. Has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, electronic ignition and coil so I don't think its electrical. The next step is to do a compression test on the cylinders. Does anyone have any advise or thoughts that could help me? It would be greatly appreciated!

How old is the plug wire set and cap and rotor? Have you adjusted the valves to spec.? Check out points and the condeser are to spec, check the fuel filter or replace. Have you done a compression test yet? Also check the intake manafold bolts are snug and that the intake gaskets are in good condistion. Good luck :nod:

check your timing, maybe your distributor is loose and it started to retard on you, that will cause consistent back-fire and cyl miss...

also your plugs can go out, I recommend stay'n with ford plugs...

check valve guide seals, those can break and make your plugs wet...

just because the cap/rotor/wires are new doesn't mean they aren't faulty. do your self a favor, look and inspect the cap and rotor.

Blown (Burnt out) head gasket between cylinders 3 & 4. Happens now and then because adjacent exhaust valves cause a hot spot between the combustion chambers.

I ran a compression test on all cylinders last nt. Cylinders 3 and 4 only had like 25 pds. I've come to the conclusion that the intake valves on both cylinders are stuck open or messed up some how. I put pressure in the cylinders at top dead on two strokes and got free air blowback out the carb on both. Looks like a head job if I stick with this motor.

Back