All Small Six 6 exhaust sound

This relates to all small sixes
I have read some posts on this here and not to insult the poster put it in a separate post! It can not be done as you pmuller9 said.

I agree, do not want to sound like a V8, but there is nothing wrong with trying to make it sound mean.. I will not give up power for sound.. I got a kick at watching people trying to find who was driving through pits with what sounded like a dump truck with a hole in the muffler.. 3'' 20'' long down pipe off the turbo, no muffler, sounded like crap.. At that time my car was lower than most and hard to spot.

On a 90 degree crankshaft V8 engine, each header collector sees uneven exhaust pulse spacing.
R=right bank, L=left bank
Looking at one of the many firing orders, you get R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L.

On the straight six you get even exhaust pulse spacing with a header, one from the front three cylinders followed by one from the back three cylinders.
Each header collector sees an even 240 degree spacing between pulses.
You can make the straight six exhaust pulse spacing uneven by swapping the header pipes from cylinders 3 and 4.

I'm not saying it will make the six sound like a V8 but it will sound different.

Last edited:
loved the '50s/60s contenential i4 sounds heard. Restrained power? Not thinkin I can get it from an i6 (or want to).
But...I'd like the same flavor (ie same adjectives, not a copy) yet performance too~
New performance sounds wosh-like (to me) or just LOUD. Just posted seperate thread B4 reading this 'turbo' v 'straight thru' (yeah its an actual design - 4 now?)

Personally I don't get why every body is so bent out of shape with how somebody makes their 6 cylinder sound. Me I put a split header & a 2 1/4" dual exhaust on my 200 6 in my 67 vert not really looking for any particular sound. It was just part of my plan to install my alum head & cam. It already has a 2300 Sniper on the small log head as part of the plan.

As to about how they don't sound like a v8 after watching numerous video on line of 6's & v8's. With duals I honestley don't think you can get the true sound from the video, Of either. I know my 67 dose'nt sound like them in person ,but sounds similar to the v8 & 6's , in videos on my phone I made Of mine as well as the one's I've watched.

That being said I have yet to have anyone who has heard my car say man that's a 6, I can tell by the sound. Just the opposite when I tell them it's a 6 cyl they can't believe it.

.. the mild built 170 sounds like a mild 170 with Hooker duals and dual OEM mufflers. The radical tri-power 250 with lopey cam, porting, long tube headers and Smithy's sounds 'built' and Hooker duals exit opposite side for a blistering / crisp offbeat rhythm . A Six modified for real performance likely will sound distinctive..

> back at the nostalgia 'Dover Drags" races I didn't get to line up with him but at least got to see Clem LaChance's Mad Frenchman-Magnum Six" Maverick with NA 300cid Ford big block six and a few tricks run the 1/4 at Lebanon Valley. The 300 Six distinct roar definitely sounded like no other car on the strip ...

.. from his obit ! :

His passion for racing began at the young age of 16 on the streets of Quebec. But it wasn't just the speed that motivated him.He loved to work on cars and build engines that would do more than anyone thought possible. His 6 cylinder Maverick, "Mad Frenchman" could take the ¼ mile in under 10 seconds!

RIP, fast ...

have fun

There is no sweeter mechanical sound than an inline six four cycle engine, regardless of size, octane or centane fuel. My trucks sound exactly like what they are, and it's sweet as honey. Happens less than it used to, but you can still spot a head jerk around to see what's making that unmistakable straight-six sound they hear. Those who know, know. The rest are deaf and drive V8's.

Personally I don't get why every body is so bent out of shape with how somebody makes their 6 cylinder sound. Me I put a split header & a 2 1/4" dual exhaust on my 200 6 in my 67 vert not really looking for any particular sound. It was just part of my plan to install my alum head & cam. It already has a 2300 Sniper on the small log head as part of the plan.

As to about how they don't sound like a v8 after watching numerous video on line of 6's & v8's. With duals I honestley don't think you can get the true sound from the video, Of either. I know my 67 dose'nt sound like them in person ,but sounds similar to the v8 & 6's , in videos on my phone I made Of mine as well as the one's I've watched.

That being said I have yet to have anyone who has heard my car say man that's a 6, I can tell by the sound. Just the opposite when I tell them it's a 6 cyl they can't believe it.
R they 'bent out of shape"?

"no particuar sound'
BINGO, it sounds as it duz. Along the lines of "form follows function."

"...don't think you can get the true sound from the video..."
nother dead on bingo, same w/'phone' as he duz not state later on.

PM mentions the phase and many know the Harley 'potatoe' phases
Try as U might. I hope U get what U like, it matters lill. Spend more, try more, it might B all in the chase w/o what's sought.

My plan (disclosed a decad ago?) is to use band clamps, run justa few sec for determination, clean off. and return to vendor if undesriable.

I just accidentally cured the drone from my new 2-1/2" turbo muffler.
I extended the tailpipe about 7" which is a few inches past my new chrome rear bumper so that the exhaust would not discolor it.
My car is now quieter and I don't hear any drone from inside the vehicle.
Maybe the body was amplifying the drone and the loudness that I heard inside the vehicle.

nice. Also the diagnosis seems sound. There ISa science to all this...
AND
many go out the side instead (behind tire w/a curb-side bend). Never
seen a pipe get 'sandblasted into nada' w/this as I would expect...

I just accidentally cured the drone from my new 2-1/2" turbo muffler.
I extended the tailpipe about 7" which is a few inches past my new chrome rear bumper so that the exhaust would not discolor it.
My car is now quieter and I don't hear any drone from inside the vehicle.
Maybe the body was amplifying the drone and the loudness that I heard inside the vehicle.
My experience with semi's is the same- fully clear the cab, and have it pointing away from it. On a vertical pipe that's straight up, no turn spout on top. horizonal pipe, clear the bumper pointing straight back. The drone reduction is surprising.

Last edited:
means the fumes are "sucked in the wrong direction" as I have experienced it.
Yes sir- I don't run any vehicles that way either. But it's the quietest set up from the cab.

"...it's the quietest..."
interesting.
And the smell/fumes? AOK or they drawn 2U?

"...it's the quietest..."
interesting.
And the smell/fumes? AOK or they drawn 2U?
With pipes sticking straight back behind any vehicle, the fumes are pulled back up against the back of the car/truck. I'm not a fan of that or the appearance. Prefer tail pipe, with 90* exiting to the side behind the rear wheel. If these aren't just right, still get fumes pulled back, but not as bad as rear horizonal pipes IMO. The main point is that if the end of the pipe extends past the cab, in-cab resonance is reduced. This '90 300 equipped truck has EFI manifolds with a shorty Y pipe, then single straight 2 1/2" pipe to a Flowmaster 70 series muffler just in front of the diff, then this factory tail pipe for a 7.3 diesel F 250, which extends out past the quarter panel farther than stock. No cat. It is "mildly loud" at the pipe, (no mistaking the L6 sound), and there's in-cab resonance @ 1300 rpm, but cruising at speed there is no exhaust noise in the cab. Quiet as a stock muffler.

Attachments

• 100_0645 (2).JPG
    100_0645 (2).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Back