66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

Of all the threads I look out for, your thread is always on the top of my list.

You should have a great sense of accomplishment on a job that continues - each step of the way - to be very, very well done

Thanks alot, I appreciate the kind words as they do help fuel the build! If this sucker blows up during break in I will at least have alot of decently pretty wall art for the garage right :rolflmao:

Praying that doesnt happen by the way!

Matt

:beer: I have been enjoying your build and trying to learn from it too. Am hoping that sometime I will get to try building a turbo system too. Good job :nod: (y)

I had the simple J pipe setup put together by a local shop and it did me will for a long time but I didnt have the resources or the guts to try doing it on my own. Knowing what I know now, I coulda done it no problem. Its alot of fun putting this stuff together and seeing it actually shape up to something half decent!

Matt

Local muffler shop hooked me up with the small section of 3" I needed to finish everything off under the car.  Had them flare one end to make fitting it up AND welding under the car easier.  The way I cut the old dump flange off the Y pipe acted in a similar way so the pipe fit over the piece coming from the turbo and into the piece on the Y pipe.  Ive never had it so easy!  Welded it up best I could layin under it and called it done!

Actually, I took more time smoothing out the inside of the custom Y pipe than I did fitting and welding the connection.  It was a mess inside but after some cutting, welding and swearing I got it MUCH MUCH better.  Now I just have to weld up the O2 sensor bung for the Wideband and then Im moving on!

Matt

Having fun for sure! Im now to the piddly little tedious stuff at the moment while I wait for some pipe to come in. Once its in I can get the intercooler piping finished up and then tear the exhaust back apart from the head to the downpipe to clean up, paint (will be ceramic coated after break in) and then back on for the last time till it runs. There is still so much to do but its getting there.

Matt

Your car is looking great! It's the reason my 66 is keeping the little 6 instead of the 429 a friend gave me to put in it. I picked up a hy35 turbo for it but where did you steal your oil from? Did you use one of those sandwich adapters? Thanks for your post keep it rolling can't wait to see what it will run.

I will get a pic later but I used an oil "tree" from a Fox or similar car to run oil to the turbo and my oil pressure gauge. Its located where the stock (I believe its been YEARS) oil pressure gauge screws into the block. Turbo 200 will make really good power and is PLENTY of fun in these light cars. Im not after much more power as much as I am driveability for when Im cruising. If I can get that sorted out then Ill be happy to continue to keep the inline under the hood for as looooong as I can!

Spent the entire weekend working on a new deck BUT took a quick second before passing out last night to get the wideband bung welded up completing the exhaust work.

All I have left is to toss some paint on to protect the header until I break the car in and send it out for coating and then put it all back together. Then I can move on!

Matt

Life nearly tried to take another weekend away from me but dammit, I wasnt havin ANY of it!!! *I may or may not (depending on who's reading this over my shoulder) have done some painting in my only nice suit but ANYways...

I did a little work to get the header ready to bolt on for good. *Smoothed out the welds inside the tubing and made sure the flange looked flat and then sprayed it with some high temp paint to try and protect it a little before I can send it out for coating. *I want to break in the motor and get a decent tune on it before I have this done. *I ditched the gasket and used some Ultra Copper RTV and everything looks good!

As always, the lower bolts on just about every Ford 200 header Ive ever seen and even some on the stock manifold are a paint to get to. *I ended up cutting and welding a garbage wrench I had in a pile to make it work. *Now I can get to every single bolt and I actually have better access than I did with the stock manifold/Jpipe setup.

The turbo is now mounted up, wastegate on, O2 sensor in and even got the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler cut and mounted up (was doing that at the time of this pic).

Gotta get some new hose for the wastegate and an air filter and then I should be done with the hot side of things. *The intake and carb and next on the bench.

Matt

Oil lines done and the turbo has everything it needs to be happy.

Lower was alot less of a pain than the last setup!

From underneath. *You cant really tell by the pic but it maintains a downward angle all the way to the pan, even the 90 is angled up towards the turbo.

Clears the exhaust well enough. *If it ever decided to be a pain I have a slightly longer piece of hose left over that I can put in to route it away a bit more.

Matt

Thanks! No major updates as Im working on mostly piddly crap at the moment but I did swap the BMW seats out for some from an SVO. I used to have an 84 SVO and LOVED the seats so I jumped on a rough set when they popped up for sale and now they are finally in the car...for 5 seconds to mock up and take a quick before pic.

I then pulled them back out and they are at a buddy of mine's to get some needed attention.

Matt

What size turbo are you running? Carb?

Have you done anything to the shortblock at all? I'm starting to gather parts and have no solid idea of what a 200 will handle, thanks in advance sorry for all the questions! Beautiful work.

No worries, ask away!!!! Im on bottom end #3 version 3 essentially on this build.

1) Original 7 main bottom end with custom pistons, the rest stock but freshened up. Made 300whp at 17psi but was blowing headgaskets every chance I could. Ended the streak by adding intercooler, head studs and most importantly, a better fuel pump/regulator setup. When putting the headstuds back in after changing the last blown headgasket I heard a loud CRACK deep in the bottom end. Cracked the block between the stud hole and one of the water jackets ruining the built up bottom end :banghead:

2) This brought on version 2. BONE stock, redneck rebuilt like 10 years prior and never successfully ran bottom end from my friend's 67. Picked it up where it was sitting under a tarp in the yard for a couple years, brought it home, put my cam in it and the headstuds and tossed it in as is. The turbo went out when I was getting it dialed in so I replaced it with the TE44 that Im running now. I didnt have a reliable wideband at the time and my tuning knowledge was slim to none so it was 9:1 rich and made 240whp and about 310tq at 20psi. I eventually did get the A/F dialed in alot nicer and it ran like a scalded dog but I never got it back on the dyno. Because it ran so rich for so long, the rings were shot and it smoked really bad so out it came for a rebuild.

3) Version 3 was supposed to be either tossing another freebie motor in (ended up being a 4 main 170 so I ditched it) or another redneck rebuild in my garage BUT the cylinder wear was too much to simple hone out so custom forged pistons were ordered, ARP main and rod hardware tossed in, new cam and an Ozzie head fell into my lap. Sent the TE44 out to be rebuilt, built a header, downpipe and redid the entire intercooler/charge pipe setup as well to be more efficient. Im praying for a successful break in here soon then itll be off to get some tuning down I hope. Would LOVE to see mid 300's on low boost and maybe even squeak into the 400s with the wick turned up. We shall see.

I say all this to point out something. A stock bottom end (heck, healthy or not really lol) can make really good power and be reliable and strong with the right fuel setup and a good tune!!! If I were to build another blown inline setup it would be super simple with the stock bottom end, custom cam, headstuds, 2 barrel and I would focus all my time on getting the tune right to make it happy.

Matt

66Sprint6":1z7ci5do said:
Thanks! No major updates as Im working on mostly piddly crap at the moment but I did swap the BMW seats out for some from an SVO. I used to have an 84 SVO and LOVED the seats so I jumped on a rough set when they popped up for sale and now they are finally in the car...for 5 seconds to mock up and take a quick before pic.

I then pulled them back out and they are at a buddy of mine's to get some needed attention.

Matt

:wow: I really like how those SVO seats look in your Mustang fit is so nice like they were made for it. :beer: They sure should be way better comfort wise over the stockers too. (y)

They are WAY more comfortable than the stockers, tho I am actually sitting in the stock driver's seat as we speak (its my office chair now). The BMW E30 sport seats that I replaced the stockers with were better and safer but still really quite stiff, the SVO seats are lightyears better in every way and will be amazing once I get them back from the upholsterer.

Matt

Thanks for all that info, Matt!

I currently have the 4 main 170 and it too will be on it's way out soon. Have a couple of 200s lined up, hoping to slap one in and build the second one on the side aiming for similar goals such as yours. The headgaskets are notorious on these engines from what I've read so there may be something that limits me on that.

I'm hoping to do something with higher compression (or stock compression) so that I don't have to turn up the boost so much, then using maybe a gtx3076r to get some good numbers down. The thing that will be limiting me is the head/intake but we'll see what we can do with what we have. If I can get 250 rwhp out of a stock motor I'll be happy, lol.

I ONLY use Felpro headgaskets...and one week I actually used every...single...one that was available in the area and had to order the final one. Ive learned my lesson(s) and now know that if the head and deck are true, you have good headSTUDS and run a good tune, you will not have issues again. If I had had another 200 laying around that was in good running order and the rings were ok, I wouldnt have built this bottom end and Ide still be shooting for the same numbers to tell the truth. Funny thing is I now have another stock 200 that just landed in my lap but the built bottom end was already finished. Anyways, these things love boost and with the knowledge running around these parts, you can make 200-300whp quite easily, reliably and without breaking the bank!

Matt

Back