This post is similar to King_Kong in that you both have OBD II or similar 1995/1996 trucks. If MegaSquirt, EECIV, EECV, Sniper or FAST or Fitech or even a decontented step back in time to a carb, or adding a turbo, supercharget or Nitrous, you can make anything go with anything.
You right about that... if we walk down the street together, folks might not be able to figure where the smarts are... but if we both start talkin'... especially about some of that stuff you just wrote... I promise, they goin' to know right away where the wiz is and where the fizz is. By the way anybody seen my bottle opener?

You can do downward compatible changes to OBD1.5/ EECIV/ EFi vehicles. Key thing is you have to know what the EECIV is looking for, and how to continue signal supply. This is easy IF you know what the system is looking for. When you convert to auto, the KOER trigger from the manual gearbox is not engaged, so you cannot read On Board Diagnostic 1.5 (1990 -1995 truck SAE mandated Dealer Trouble Codes) . Ford ensures you can jumeet the EECIV, because the same computer serves many diverse kinds of vehicle. 4 to 12 cylinders, Central Fuel Injection, Bank Fire Port EFi, Sequential Port, MAP Speed Density, MAF Hot Wire, VAM Air meter, Thick Film Ignition, EDIS 6 or 8 semi coil pack, Turboed, SuperCharged, Variable Valve Timing, Broad Band intake manifold tracks, Factory LPG and Gasoline Dual Fuel...the engineers are used to being shot gunned by feature creep from Marketing or Finance or Emissions.

A downward non- compitable change is, say, a triple carb conversion, or an HEi, Duraspark I/II/III ignition.

A turbo or supercharger is an upward change.

All are compatible if you've done your homework and know where to raid the right 60 pin computer pinout schematic. And where to get a sensor to provide the constant data need so the system won't Shut Your Clydesdales down.

I'm on my fifth Toyota RAV4.1 to Ford triple carb six cylinder EECiV conversion. I use the stock Ford computer with Toyota wiring, and a mixture of Essex 90 V6 and Duraspark III sensors. Fords EECIV has many non negotiable's, but it's really easy to make a non standard ignition work with your 1995 if you are aware of what the EECIV is looking for. I help people with MegaSquirt Scoping. A lot of times, people see sense and keep the stock Ford labyrinth of wires and systems, and just trouble shoot them. Unlike others, EECIV or the earlier 1978 to 1983 systems....they don't faze me at all. I grew up surrounded by good automotive engineers who realised that it's easier to deal with systems rather than do a frontal labotomy.

1. The Start Dealer Trouble Code ( OBDI.5 two earths) or ( on Mustangs) the defacto OBDII port for 95 V6s has to be able to work the KOER codes, so anytime you do an auto conversion to a vehicle born stick shift, the whole O2 harness and clutch lock-out goes west, which is why you can't read codes.

2. The Solid State Ignition has to be incrementing and proving response to the EECIV. Spark Out and Spark In and the signals that phase injectors or log ignition pulse have to be sent to the EECIV.

3. The Thick Film Ignition or Base timing SPOUT has to respond to executive commands. Fuel and Spark and Push Start Inductive Control Modules have different base rpm start points, with idle tip in and Barametric MAP cold start ignition timing changes.

4. Ford use either Idle Solenoid Control or what GM call an IAC. Some earlier carbs use five other devices including the humble old choke and vacuum operated throttle modulator, ad well as A/C and Throttle Solenoid Positones, as well the TPS. Base idle settings vary between type, and the Air Control metering devices can be one of four types. Turbo cars have a 3 bar MAP sensor and a MAF sensor. So the whole shooting match is mapped out with satraps and sentinals and a sagelog of settings is compiled against three air, water and EGR and AIR sensors.

5. EGR is automated with all EEC computers, but it can be done manually with the older carb based ssystems. EEECIV "sagelogs" the settings with an electronic DPFE valve sensor.

6. The open and closed loop fuel values from the pulse width modulation signals sent to the injector solenoids complies a vast list of Keep Alive Memory to slew the fuel delivery within in charted limits.

7. The Fuel pump circuit for all EFi Fords varies for 1995s, but HI and Low Perspire pumps are controlled by a relay system which ha's complicated checks and balances for pressure and return flow, with a notoriously difficult fly tongue pickup with a throublesone earing process.

8. For a genreal lookup of parts, I have a 103 item list of Vehicle Emissions Component Identification names, mostly for the 1978 to 1995 cars. The peak of components were the 1985 4 bbl 5.0 Mustangs without Feedback carbs. Your 1995 ha's only about 65 items. By 2003, it was down to 39.
My trans conversion was from auto to manual.

Mechanical advance... my recognition terminology... centrifugal advance (which is almost what I asked you to confirm to start with). If I need to go the bump screw option... you have a general idea of % increase of spring load needed over what's in distributor now? 10, 15, 20%?
Good afternoon Michael. The HEI distributor can be used. I have for 8 years, but it's accuracy is zilch compared to factory distributor- which I will be returning to when I rebuild the engine in the next few weeks. 1990 model. I have been disappointed in the switch to carb and HEI ignition ever since I did it. If you can get your mystery bugs worked out and stay with the original distributor and fuel injection- do so. On an EFI engine the factory engineering can not be replicated with aftermarket components, for a stock around-town application. Loss of drivability, power and 5-8 mpg loss across the board was my result, and I'm experienced with fine-tuning gas engines.
With that said-
I did the screw-in-the-plate fab to reduce my mechanical (centrifugal) advance. Mine has the nut on the top, which created a second fabrication to clear the rotor. I had to grind a small portion of the plastic from the underside of the rotor to clear the nut. Not hard, see pics.
Springs - I installed softer springs, so that what timing is available is all in by 2000 rpm. The springs that yours came with are already too stiff. The spring kits come with 3 sets, soft, med, stiff. I run one soft and one medium spring. Base timing 8*. total mechanical advance is 18*. Total vacuum advance is 10*. This is also adjustable with a 3/32 allen wrench. Facing the vacuum port, clockwise adds advance, at a rate of about 2* per turn.

The reason the HEI is not well matched for the 300 is that this distributor was originally engineered by GM around 1976 for their L6 and V8's, which turn more rpm's and have a different advance curve than our 6 with EFI head. When this HEI ignition was released by GM for cloning, the V8 centrifugal advance curve was not reengineered for the Ford inline 6. Your new distributor has heavy springs that will not advance at all till 1600-1800 rpm, and are not fully advanced till well over 3000 rpm. In it's out of box form, it is not usable on an EFI head without insufficient advance where you need it, and engine damaging excessive advance over 2600 rpm.
(PS- I'm a diesel guy too. Owned, operated, maintained and repaired them for 30 years.)

Attachments

• 100_0417.JPG
    100_0417.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 100_0411.JPG
    100_0411.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
I've been under the impression that some 1995s (the ones that were MAF) used a reluctor/shutter wheel in the distributor to control injector timing.

I know in 1996, the stock distributor definitely controlled injector timing. So converting to an HEI requires going to carb or figuring out ECU signals to control the injectors.

Well, well, well... closing the year with at least one solution to the myriad of issues I have on my plate! Thank you Jesus and you guys here too.

The bogging out issue has been solved. After 40 plus years you would think the lesson to not discount your 1st instinct should have been pretty well learned by now! Not so
"grasshopper".

It was the ecm. Plugged the new one in and bog is gone, it will now snap throttle to high rpm. Still have to install the ecm in it's location, button a few things up and test drive. But the old thing is going to work again.

Along the way other issues were repaired. Re: exhaust leak, roll pin sheared in distributor drive and wiring issue with old dist (still don't know how it ran home with the roll pin sheared... maybe I put more twist force on the rotor by hand than it took to keep it stationary re: effort to spin shaft assy... I don't care anymore, just glad I got home that day... thank you Jesus.)

New map sensor, new tps, new O2 sensor, new fuel pump... all of which should now be good for the foreseeable future. Truck has 272k plus on it, so, hopefully good for life. The real loss other than hardship of being without it for work was $120. HEI distributor bought online, which got about 5 minutes of spark ran thru it.

But along the way I learned some new stuff (which truth be told, I will probably forget... hopefully from lack of use because of lack of need!) from you folks. Thank you for your patience and expertise and willingness to share.

I was keyed into the problem early re: that I could not get the ecm to spit out the flash codes but the conversion from auto to stick that I had just done got me all goofy headed about ecm under a constant signal of missing sensors (bunch of crap right there... just trying to make excuses).

Anyways fixing to finish up for a test drive. Will post outcome. By the by, I did get an ecm for manual transmission. Will see if my speedo and abs warning light straighten up too. Michael

I've been under the impression that some 1995s (the ones that were MAF) used a reluctor/shutter wheel in the distributor to control injector timing.

I know in 1996, the stock distributor definitely controlled injector timing. So converting to an HEI requires going to carb or figuring out ECU signals to control the injectors.
King Kong yes you are correct in about the last half of the 1995 model year run the 4.9's started to have the MAF EFI system along with all the 1996 year models, plus some of the 1997 Super Duty pickups F250 up still could get the 4.9 MAF engines (these are the ones that still had the same body style as the 1996's trucks) and also some of the Econoline Vans E200's up too they are probally kind of rare in that year though.

Well, well, well... closing the year with at least one solution to the myriad of issues I have on my plate! Thank you Jesus and you guys here too.

The bogging out issue has been solved. After 40 plus years you would think the lesson to not discount your 1st instinct should have been pretty well learned by now! Not so
"grasshopper".

It was the ecm. Plugged the new one in and bog is gone, it will now snap throttle to high rpm. Still have to install the ecm in it's location, button a few things up and test drive. But the old thing is going to work again.

Along the way other issues were repaired. Re: exhaust leak, roll pin sheared in distributor drive and wiring issue with old dist (still don't know how it ran home with the roll pin sheared... maybe I put more twist force on the rotor by hand than it took to keep it stationary re: effort to spin shaft assy... I don't care anymore, just glad I got home that day... thank you Jesus.)

New map sensor, new tps, new O2 sensor, new fuel pump... all of which should now be good for the foreseeable future. Truck has 272k plus on it, so, hopefully good for life. The real loss other than hardship of being without it for work was $120. HEI distributor bought online, which got about 5 minutes of spark ran thru it.

But along the way I learned some new stuff (which truth be told, I will probably forget... hopefully from lack of use because of lack of need!) from you folks. Thank you for your patience and expertise and willingness to share.

I was keyed into the problem early re: that I could not get the ecm to spit out the flash codes but the conversion from auto to stick that I had just done got me all goofy headed about ecm under a constant signal of missing sensors (bunch of crap right there... just trying to make excuses).

Anyways fixing to finish up for a test drive. Will post outcome. By the by, I did get an ecm for manual transmission. Will see if my speedo and abs warning light straighten up too. Michael
Hi 111JESUS, that's excellent news, congrats on getting your pickup running better and back usable again. Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

All right, just returned from test drive... I don't recognize the truck. Smooth, responsive throttle when asked. No more neck whiplash due to junking auto trans and convert to manual. ( Wish it was 5 speed, but use what I got) Originally was only getting about 10 to 11 mpg. So even with low speed trans I'm hoping for better.

Speedo is working, bouncing some but working and abs warning light is out. CEL came on during test drive... will blink it tomorrow... expecting to see her code due to delete.

Overall tho... After 6 months on and off including trans conversion... I got my old buggy back!

Happy New Year... 1st day anyways.

Back