All Small Six A/C on a 1962 Falcon (170ci)

This relates to all small sixes
Hi everyone! As the title says, I am looking into adding an AC unit to my Falcon. My main doubts are if the engine will be able to handle the extra load, and if the factory radiator will be able to cope with the additional heat. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Ironically I'm looking at a 1963 Comet and had the same questions. The short answer is yes, but you will need to upgrade the radiator/cooling system and replace the generator with an alternator - I'm not sure of the amp rating for the alternator, but I think 95 amps should be sufficient. For the cooling system, check out some of the other posts - you will need something with better cooling capacity as well as upgrading the fan and adding a fan shroud.

Performance-wise, I read that an aftermarket system uses a lot less power than the original systems - maybe 5-10 hp? If so, that loss can be offset fairly easy with some basic performance upgrades.

X2 Yes a Ford Falcon / Comet 170 six will handle AC and there many that were fitted with the Ford dealer and also aftermarket units (such as ARA located in the Southern California Area) AC kits. You can see the parts that were used (they are the same parts as used on a 200 engine) In this link as well as an updated 134A kit. These same kits were used on Many Fords and Mercurys with only slight changes such as the badging emblems used on the under dash units. Best of luck

Ford Air Conditioning Kits & Parts

size compressor pulley properly, watch for interfearence w/other components (bracktry, headers, alternator) and it IS possible. Best? oem parts and placement. 2nd - as bubs sez above - a standard co (ARA, Vintage Air, etc). They have been thru it B4 and have come up wid da 'work-a-round' solutions (can provide tech assistance w/the cost of their units).

Fella just did his own here (Asa in Fla?). Use Search-a-Thread function above...

Back