Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working feverishly to get it ready - - I told my boss this afternoon that I already have 56 hours in this week (at 5:00 on Friday!) and I need to go home and tie up some loose ends.

Here is the boost gauge:
MBCgauge.jpg

Here, you can see the manual boost controller mounted right to the gauge. Boost comes into the big "T" on the bottom, and activates the gauge and also sends a signal up to the MBC. The elbow on the side of the MBC goes to the wastegate.
MBCrt.jpg

MBCrtrear.jpg

Here is a clear shot of the "Horsepower Screw".....I removed it and welded a "T" handle to it to make boost easier to add "on the fly, - - - - BUT MY DIGITAL CAMREA JUST DIED!! So no more pictures for a while.......
MBCtoprt.jpg

Oh yeah, the screw is a fine thread 1/4- 28 screw. I am glad I went fine thread, as I was getting a feel for how to adjust it,, the screw increases boost 1 psi for each 1/4 of a turn!! maybe I need to get a softer spring, as that is "kind of touchy"

Oh well, the spring and ball is what I had from a bunch of junk transmission parts, so it didn't cost anything! (y)

(see rule number #1 of "Rules for Project Six" on first page!) :nod:

66Sprint6":3e7may0n said:
Ive got the 500 and thats whats Im gonna use, lol. Ive already spent enough money for now, Ill stick with whats on there until I find the need to do otherwise. Thing is...no-one is using the 500 with a turbo yet, so you never know, I might be able to get eleventy billion times more power just because you guys didnt go with the 500, CLEARLY a larger number than 350

Matt, you just keep telling youself that.... That guage is nifty, looks like something my dad and I would make, and it goes up to 60! CLEARLY a larger number than the 20 you might run it up to. He might be able to get eleventy billion times more power just because it dosnt just go up to 20 or 25... lol sorry I just got up....

It is hard to find big, easy to see and read gauges that DON'T go to 200 psi!

I have some that just go to 20-30-40 but they are either smaller, or the needle has a really narrow sweep.

NO NO NO...
His gauge READS 60psi...but my carb IS a 500...not capable of, clearly making it supreme in the realm of being true to what it is and no what it clearly isnt...got it...Ill shut up now...but Im still lookin forward to track updates!
Matt

I just got back from taking it on a run on a local side street with no houses around to try out my video camera mount.

I brought the camera in the house and hooked it up to the TV....
The video quality is poor and not worth hosting anywhere. The picture is very grainy (You can barely see the gauges), and as soon as the car starts to make boost the picture gets very shakey like the car is going through a 9.0 Richter earthquake (well I guess it is because it is a pretty violent ride)

The microphone on the video camera is also very poor, it picks up some spooling sound but mainly you hear a lot of popping/tinny sounds as the doors and body flexes from the torque (And there is ZERO insulation left in the car)

I may try adding another brace to the camera mount to give it some more rigidty, but it won't help the grainy picture or poor sound quality.

"Video Capture" card arrived today....If I can get some halfways descent video I'll host some up.

yes the video I made, well over half of it was wasted because the camera was focussing and unfocussing, it could not stay focussed... I ony had that problem while driving with the camera on the floor.... you know I would be happy with even a sound clip... I really dont think most of us care what quality it is, for I have nothing better to do than hang out here.... grainy picture is fine..... as you can see im just excited!

hasa68mustang":158foy2h said:
....as someone else said putting a 500cfm carb on our car is liek putting a 1000 cfm carb on a 400ci motor....

I said that on another thread....

Well, I am back from the dragstrip. I am too tired to post details, but will soon.

(Needs more fuel delivery, suspecting small inlet needle and seat)

are you serious??? I STAY UP TILL 4 AM AND YOU CAN'T POST THE DETAILS???!!!! lol ok so i was up till 4 am talking to another forum member, and just happened to come here, just please when you get up/have time post the times!!!!

Basicly, It wouldn't deliver enough fuel to make it to the end of a 1/4 without falling on its face.

I tried to do some tuning today before heading to the track, and I was having problems with it building a full head of steam, and making it most of the way through second, then faling flat. No missing or popping, just .....nothing.

I suspected the mechanical fuel pump (boost referenced) couldn't hold up, so I went with a Napa unit and tried it instead of the one I had.

With the MBC dialed down to 18 psi, I took it out on the side street and it was FANTASTIC, so I loaded up on the trailer and headed to the track.(not right away, since my freind Joseph dropped by to install a fuel pressure gauge, but anyways)

When I got there, I "sogged" out of the hole with a 2.84 60', but then boost came up and we were off! It felt like a low 13 or high 12 run. I could see the 1/8 mile (660 ft) lights coming up, and around 500 feet it just died..........for like three seconds.

I figured way too much air and not enough fuel flow at 18 psi, so I unscrewed the MBC a few turns to get it boosted down a bit. I launched again and saw 14 psi, the run was lasting a little longer, and then it fell flat right before the 660' lights. It ran a 10.40 in the 1/8 (good for about 16 in the 1/4, very disappointing)

I made several videos, it is fun to watch the car go nuts when it builds boost, then sucks to watch it fall seconds later.

I was visiting with Joe, and I got an idea....I would hook the wastegate straight to the compressor discharge, like the other day.(8 psi only)

I figured if I got the boost low enough, maybe the fuel flow could keep up.

This idea was successful! (almost)
While practicing some better launches (slamming it into gear at 5,000 RPM), I got 60' times down to 2.06 and a 10.21 1/8 mile. Joe was running mid 13's in the 1/4 with some 8.7 660 ft times.

I am leaving in a few days to visit my folks in North Dakota for a few weeks, so there won't be any updates in 1/8 or 1/4 times until I get back. I have a few tricks up my sleeve of what I need to do to make this thing get enough fuel, so I will provide updates when "Version 1.0" becomes "Version 1.1" and makes it to the track again.

I ran six times...and burned almost three gallons!
(45-60 oz of fuel per run isn't enough fuel to keep the engine alive!)

I will post videos as I find time to do so.
Tomorrow is Sunday, and "Version 1.1" will begin.

hey linc...

dan (importjiller) is running a sbc mechanical pump. they switched the sbc lever arm for the inline arm and boost referrenced it. maybe that can solve your problems. did you have a full tank of gas? for it to shut down for that long seems like the pump is getting starved for fuel.

62fairlane170":1vuok1ke said:
They switched the sbc lever arm for the inline arm and boost referrenced it.

That is interesting. I am probably going to re-do the whole fuel sytem, with a good high pressure electric pump and regulator.

62fairlane170":1vuok1ke said:
did you have a full tank of gas?

5 gallon cell in the spare tire well, was full when I got there, has about 2.5 in it now.

I would think a improper fuel system wouldn't shutdown like you are having happen it should jsut lay down and go weak when the supply cant't keep up. maybe you are delivering too much fuel and flooding out the plugs? seems like you are moving quite a bit of fuel there.

62fairlane170":2l8p1h51 said:
It should just lay down and go weak when the supply can't keep up.

That is pretty much what is happening. I am thinking the fuel bowl runs dry because the single, small needle and seat can't keep up.

Those are cute Addo! So, how much did that set them back...and...

Just picking Linc! I really do appreciate your posts. Especially the way you lay it out. Direct and to the point. Your ability to text what you think and do it terrific.

I do have a question relevent to this post, or at least I think it is, the fuel delivary issue problem is normal? I mean this is the first time I have read a post where someone turbo charged their 200 and had problems with the fuel system.

I guess I need to get a book on turbo charging.

stang200":2icjysu1 said:
Is the fuel delivary issue problem is normal? I mean this is the first time I have read a post where someone turbo charged their 200 and had problems with the fuel system.

I guess they made their fuel systems stout enough from the get-go.....and I didn't!

Also, I think the biggest problem was the small needle and seat in the Holley 1-bbl (I am the only one to use it), but the added "plumbing" mods I made to the carb last night should fix that, I hope.

hasa68mustang":2icjysu1 said:
its not the fact that I'm a wimp its the fact that Its 93 (then with the humidity it feels over 100 ask te weatherman they say this....lol)

lol, I'm not trying to dog ya too bad......Don't get me started on heat indexes, the other night (early Sat) the heat index was 96* at 6:00 AM!! :cry:

I have noticed that some replacment seats have slots cut in the side of them that allow fuel around the needle. You do have a point since dan and will are both running holley 2bbl carbs. so can you get it to run fine on lower boost levels? I was hoping to go to a 1v since it would be easier to setup (no nasty carb adaptors) but if it can't run on low boost (7-10 psi) that I am shooting for then maybe I will have to set it up a notch or two.

Linc, how about "an original" style fuel delivery, bolt-on with some electronics plus return line work-out? Grab a late-fox GT fuel tank from somewhere (its probably 2 gallons bigger than your '84 and it's got internal electr. fuel pump) and if the stock pump won't be good enough drop in it a BBK high vol in-tank fuel pump or equivalent...

110lph-255lph, $87-$129 at Summit.

This thread of yours got me too excited about forced induction stuff. At the end of the day you probably triggered a learning process at the edge of the world too. Thanks (?). I have found that "learning process" and "excited" usually end up with garage days and less food on the table.

62fairlane170":157mq23i said:
So can you get it to run fine on lower boost levels?

It pulls clean and hard on ALL boost levels (max 20 psi tried so far) and gives me gigantic adrenaline rushes....until it just runs out of fuel.

I did a whole bunch of searching on turbomustangs.com in the carb'd section, talked to some guys there, and read many threads/posts.

I think another huge culprit is the inline fuel filter at the inlet of the fuel pump.

One guy had the SAME EXACT problems as me, car pulls like crazy to the top of second gear, then falls flat on its face. He got rid of the pre-pump filter he was using and tried one with more flow and that fixed his problem. (I never really thought of it too much , but the filter I am using pre-pump does look like it could be causing some problems.)

I have the carb bowl plumbed, but I am going to try some things with fuel delivery, like changing out the pre-pump filter first, and then see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back