Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
80Stang":35pkttp1 said:
Grab a late-fox GT fuel tank from somewhere (its probably 2 gallons bigger than your '84 and it's got internal electr. fuel pump).

The tank that is currently in the '84 has an internal pump that was used to supply the 3.8 liter V-6 that came in the car (CFI, or central fuel injection, looks like a 2 bbl).

I am in the process of removing it and cleaning it out, so that is indeed a future upgrade. The current set-up with a 5-gallon cell in the spare tire well was temporary as a baseline, and I could drain the tank and change fuels quickly as a means of testing.

You wouldn't want it, all of the underhood engine wiring associated with it is deteriorated so badly it wouldn't be usable to anyone. You would have to find a better donor.

Nothing worth drawing attention to....

Will be back in TX on Thurs, will have fuel system hashed together for another stab at it on this Sat night! (July 2nd)

Go for it man, and come IMEDIATELY back to tell us what happened! I have been waiting and waiting and waiting to see how your project has been treating you!!! Ive also been waiting for mine to come together, I HATE playin the waiting game...but I do it alot so I guess Im gettin better at it, lol. Good luck, hope this fuel problem is fixed and she runs how you want her to...how we ALL Want her to!
Matt

Haven't had time to mess with it.......

1) Keep getting called in to work on odd hours and weekends
2) Looking at a house I am interested in buying.

I would love to hear when you get this fuel problem fixed. in the mean time I made the plunge and grabbed a cliffy adaptor and am droppping on a 5200 this week and a 350 holley in a couple more weeks.

This thread won't die,
I'll bring it back when I have more time.

This whole house buying thing has me pulling ALL of the irons out of the fire for now. I can't believe how much attention/time it demands of me. The new property I am trying to close on has a great big shop, too! :D

That, and I put in a 74 hour work week. The paycheck will be nice, but I am only awake at home for two hours each day before I head off to work again. I was at work from noon until 10 tonight. So much for my Saturday....

Hey Linc,
I think we all understand how there actually IS life outside of cars, its just too bad we can get more time on the car part of it, lol. I really look forward to hearing how your project turns out once you start workin the bugs out. I love seein the progress people's projects make as they go along. Good luck with the car, and everything else thats tyin up your time!
Matt

The last time I drove the car and made boost, I was out for just a minute or two, and when I came back the coolant overflow tube was dribbling, so I think I may have blown the stock head gasket (not real bad, but...).

If that's the case, then the days of the 1 bbl are numbered, because If I have to pull the head, I am swapping on the on the other head that I have modified to mount a 2 bbl. Might as well get head studs, too.

Are you usin the stock head gasket? I am, but I have ARP head bolts etc, will that help any? We couldnt find any other headgaskets for the motor so I was just wonderin
Matt

i'm pretty sure for the first motor what Linc did was he didn't touch it. whatever they did from the factory is what he's got on it, so if the motor was made in 84 the head gasket is the same one from the factory

that's just what i got from what i've been reading, then he's got a couple more motors that he's building up, so he can test what needs to be replaced or what will be a problem area and how to prevent that

he's doing all the building and testing, so that when i hae the money to do it i will just look at what he did and what worked and i'll do that, and thank you Linc for putting it all out there

BergerFromage has hit the nail on the head,

the engine is a 1982, 124,000 miles, 100% bone stock, and has handled numerous 20 psi acceleration tests without any "kaboom".

I haven't *verified* that the head gasket has indeed gone bad, I want to push it a couple more times first. A couple dribbles from the radiator overflow tube have raised my eyebrows but not any red flags. It is the stock steel shim, so it can't move very far when it fails.

Now, I did see a 2.3 liter 4-cyl gasket blow out (see "MikeSVOR" on turbomustangs.com), and a huge chunk of gasket flew out and hit the inner fender. Nothing like that has happened.

I have three or four head gasket sets (ebay is a blessing and curse at the same time!) but I just don't feel comfortable re-using stock head bolts on a boosted engine. I need to go ahead and get the studs so I have them when I am ready for them.

Awesome, I appreciate the help, Im not sure what gasket they used when assembling the motor, but I told them to use a stock type gasket, so I imagine if its like the one I put on a couple years ago, it is a steel shim gasket, but not sure.
Matt

Steel shim hasn't been around for a long time, so I doubt it.
Probably the generic Fel-Pro or Victor replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back