All Small Six AutoLite 2100 emulsion tubes

This relates to all small sixes

mach1 mark

I had spitting and sputtering at low RPMs... car would not stay idle. I had to flutter the throttle the entire time at a stopped positon.. . Once I got the car rolling it would run fine except at high RPMs, again it would spit and sputter at high RPMS. And at a constant speed, steady speed, like 55mph..and once I let off the throttle, engine would quite..

I chased everything from the distributor cam gear, to the distributor modular from the wiring to the battery, to the starter, to the starter solenoid, I even cleaned out the carburetor several times. I took it a part. I took off the venturi housing and cleaned it out. Sprayed with carb cleaner, blew with an air hose. Still acted stupid.

After reading an article, I believe on Ford Bronco. Com, it mentioned the Emulsion tubes. I took a wire cleaned out the little vent holes. Blew air though the tubes.. I had to remove the venturi housing (squirter) three or four times to get it to finally run correctly.. I even understand that the emulsion tubes can crack for some reason..

I wanted to post this in case u guys installed an old 2100 or 4150 Ford AutoLite Carb.. and you think it's properly cleaned.. and it acts like as I explained above..check the long brass tubes under the removable venturia housing...these are called the emulsion tubes..

Thanks.. please leave comments, suggestions, or remarks good or bad..

Yes the cracked emulsion tubes can happen on these carb's, why they will crack my best guess is that it's from use time, vibration, or possibly the brass metal has just becomes brittle over time. I have seen this several times over the decades of working on the Autolites Carb's. You can solder the crack or even better make some new tubes. The number of holes and their height can also effect tuning to so adding or soldering up the holes can be used to accomplish this. If I remember right site member "Xctasy" had a very good post or several of them a few years back on the fine tuning of these emulsion tubes. Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
The advanced search for Autolite 2bbl, user JagGuy. Well tube is what FoMoCo calls them. The search engine for posts is "on the PI55". But the basics are that you can solder or remake the well tube if they fracture, and the hole arrangement can be three groups of 4 or 5 holes high with 25 though diameter holes. There four barrel 4100 has extra holes to lean the air fuel ratio. Cracking drastically leans the carb and causes people to try jetting up to correct for a lean fuel condition.

Back