Build Thread Bench Racing Exercice On Building a 223 Performance Or Turbo Engine

The 242 diesel seems like it could be a good starting point for a turbo motor.
I don't know, but I imagine it would have forged crank, rods and pistons with a good sized dish in them.
With the dished pistons and a gas engine head the static compression ratio would be low enough to run a lot of boost.
Add head and main studs and it might even stay together. :giggle:
Many moons ago, the Olds 350 V8 diesel was converted to gas by some hotrodders. Too long to remember, but they got incredible power from it, and it held together.

I do know from racing my 56 F100 223 that the Conecting Rods are a major weak point that will need to be addressed with a set of stronger aftermarket Rods along with a custom made set of Forged Pistons both are easy enough to do now days to handle much more power and for a decent price.
Did we get any info on big end rod width or block deck height?

Last edited:
Interesting thing. So I found this 1959 shop manual online. If you go to the specs page, and under piston section. It lists the 223 and 302 with the same piston diameter of, 3.6236 - 3.6242. Cool right!? So I'm like, 302 is a highly supported engine, I'll look for 302 forged pistons to put in my 223! But every place is listing the 302 pistons as 4.0...Am I missing something here?

On a side note. I am seriously considering creating a website/wiki for the 223...too much time is being wasted going down rabbit holes that either leads to very little and vague information, or no information at all regarding the 223 on many aspects...

What you are missing is that there was a short lived 302 used in trucks that has very little in common with Y blocks and nothing in common with the 302s we know today.

HI Ozzl.pZ, Bill56 is right on they are talking about a much earlier Ford big truck engine. Those big Ford Truck 302's were based on the 1952 to 1957 Lincoln Y Block V8 engine Family. They do also look something like a Y Block V8's used in the 1954 to 1964 Ford / Mercury cars and pick ups yet all most nothing will interchange between those two V8 engines family's. Yes correct the more famous 302 or 5.0 used in Fords from 1968 to 2000 + has a 4 inch bore like the 289's and the 351 W or C's too.

This is the trouble with Internet searches it's hard to narrow them down to only get the right info that your looking for. Not to brag (well maybe a little) but right here on this Ford Six Forum for the Vintage Inline Six engines we probally have the most info available on these Ford 223 six'es and we also have many very talented members that have them and worked on these engines for many many years. To get you started on finding all that great info on these Ford 223 Sixes besides this post check out these two other posts. That will probally cover more than you will ever want to know about this engines but if not there are also many other great posts that will cover even more. There are 48 pages in this forum and more than 1/2 of those are on these great little engines so it's well worth taking the time to go through them for all the great info that is contained.

This first one is loaded with the 216, 223, & 262 engine Info & Specs.

This second one is a very good read about GalaxieInlines Hi Performance 223 Build Up

By the way you can get a set of custom Forged Pistons made to your exact specs for use in a 223 six and other engines for about $550.00. This will be the direction I take to get the exact compression height and dish volume that I need for this build. There are lots of other piston company's that can make Pistons too. Good luck

Did we get any info on big end rod width or block deck height?
Hi pmuller9, still have not found out anything on the Rod Big End Width or the Block's Deck Height Measurement, wish I could still have access to my old repair manuals.

I found out from what "Firepower354" sent me and some other Research / Searching that there are two different crankshaft Rod throw specs used one for the early 1952 to 1960 216 & 223 Six Engine's these will use a wider big end connecting Rod. The 1961 to 1964 block uses a crankshaft with a narrower Rod throw. These later crankshafts seem like they would also have an advantage with slightly better Rod bearing oiling along with having less Rod bearing friction compared to those early cranks and rods. The late crankshafts might also be able to be a direct interchange into the early blocks, but I haven't found out the info on two crankshafts main bearing throws yet.

@Bill56 @bubba22349 Thanks for the info! I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to figure out this 302 curve ball, and wasn't able to find any information pertaining to a 50's 302.

I'll check out those threads as soon as I can.

Thinking about making some open source CAD designs of various components of the 223, for others to tinker with or produce. May not be the greatest, but its a starting point for others to work off of.

Here is a little more info & history about these now rare 279, 302, 317, & 332, Ford Big Truck engines used from 1954 to 1963 the truck 302 was used and gone again quite a few years before the 1968 introduction of the well know 302"s) and the 317, 341, & 368 Lincoln Y Blocks engines used from 1952 to 1957, I had a running industrial version from a wind machine in my collection until 2014. http://ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm

Would you mind providing a spec sheet of the work and components on the engine? I would like to reference what you did on my 223.

Also, are you going to take it further by converting over to EFI or a twin-turbo setup?
LOL well first of all twin turbo would probably launch the crank right out of the oil pan in several peices.

My build is as follows:
-Bored .060" over to 231ci
-KB aluminum hyper pistons with hastings rings
-Rods shot peened, smoothed, lightened and matched.
-crank turned (only needed. 010")
-ARP hardened steel main studs/nuts as well as custom sized ones for the rods.
-head cut for hardened seats, 1.91" intake and 1.68" exhaust valves...Manley brand stainless swirl undercut SBC, length shortened to fit.
-351w springs/retainers, positive seals.
-head set up for bronze valve guides.
-ports cleaned up, bowls blended, 3 angle valve job.
-head decked enough to bring chambers to around 61cc each (it was a lot, almost .065" iirc, you'll have to do your own measuring.)
-block decked enough to pop the pistons .005" positive deck (again a lot, around .065" total maybe?)
Fel pro head gasket....all of the head and block machine work was calculated to give me .035" quench area with a .040" crush thickness head gasket.
-I had Davis Unified make me a distributor for a ford 300 I6 and I put a bored out and drilled 223 timing gear on the end. I made an oil pump drive shaft from a 5/16" Allen wrench cut down and a **important: 1964 ONLY** melling *HIGH VOLUME, NOT HIGH PRESSURE* 5/16" drive oil pump.
Spark plugs gapped to .050" with the fire breathing DUI.
-clifford 2x4 intake with their 2bbl weber adaptors...trimmed down to fit under my hood.
-2x Weber 38/38 dgas 2bbl synchronous carbs, jet kit necessary to tune them as the stock jets and IACs were too small.
-clifford split semi-shorty headers for passenger car.
-head bolts changed to ARP, I arrived somewhere around 10-10.5:1 compression. I would go with studs vs bolts due to the length of the block and lack of bolts.
I run 34° total timing on 93 octane, vacuum advance manifold referenced and monitored by dual Bosch wide band 02s and an innovative tech dual AFR meter.
-Schneider re-ground my stock cam to 264F specs, 264° advertised single pattern @ 108° LSA. They take it off the base circle....but because of the large amount of head/block surface material removed; the push rods didn't need to be modified. I run .015" lash hot.
-Rollmaster double roller iwis billit timing chain/gear set, advanced 8°.
I have my redline set at 5500rpm on my tach, but she'll easily spin to 6k . With the timing set straight up she goes to 6k before nosing over, with the 8° advance she has better low end torque and noses over at 5k.
-GM 3 wire alternator conversion, bypassing external mechanical regulator.
-195° thermostat....she behaves like a good girl and never overheats even on 95° days. Oil pressure stays at 50lbs fast idle to redline, 25lbs low idle to 800rpm when hot (above 800 she shoots to 40-50psi.)
Drivability is great, idle @600rpm is far from radical, mid range power and torque feels like a sports car, highway running at 65-70mph turns me 22-25mpg with 3:55 gears with the stock 3 speed. It's been able to take the 3700lb 300 to over 100mph riding on the 5500rpm redline, and calm down and drive home without complaining. Engine runs out of carbs/cam at 6k rpm and coughs for more air/fuel, but with the tiny cubic inches a more radical cam that could support higher rpm seriously sacrifices low end torque and daily Drivability. Oh also you gotta remember at this point that the old grandma has 4 main bearings and was designed in 1952....I choose to be a little kinder to her than you might be able to do with say a 60s chrysler 225.

On my recent tear down inspection, I did notice the crank timing gear had galled itself to the crank and I can only surmise that it's because of the evil harmonic torsional oscillation that every inline six developes around that 6k rpm mark. My damper was fine, but like all guys that run sixes say...stay below or above 6,000rpm!
Hope this information helps.

Back