Build Thread Bench Racing Exercice On Building a 223 Performance Or Turbo Engine

In doing some research the last few days on the Ford Six Oil Pumps I had though there were only two different Pumps. Turns out I was wrong and there are Four different oil pumps made by Melling that cover all the different size's of the Ford's First OHV Six engine Family 215, 223, & 262. Using the Vin code you can find the engine code if its still the original engine this would be the first letter on the early model Ford cars Patent Plates for a 215 or 223 six 1952 to 1959 this is an A code, see below picture 1 of a 1956 Ford Vin / Patent Plate or the Warranty Door Tags on the later models (see Picture 2 below for a 1964 Ford Car) the Pickup Trucks will look semular.

The first Oil Pump is the Melling M-25 (see Picture 2 below) this pump fits the 1952 and 1953 215 Ford Six (First OHV six in this engine family) and the 1954 223 first year for the bigger 223 six also uses it this oil pump covers all the Ford car models and all 1951 to 1954 Ford truck models from F1, F2, F3, F4, & F100, F250, F350 & P350, for a 215 or 223 OHV six both these have an A for the engine code.

The second Oil Pump is the Melling M-43 (see Picture 3 below) this pump fits all Ford 223 car and truck engines from 1955 to 1959, as well as the 1960 223 Ford Trucks with a J engine code and the 1959 Edsel 223 with an A engine code, it also fits the 1960 Ford's and Edsel's 223 with a V engine code.

The third Oi Pump is the Melling M-67 (see Picture 4 below) this pump fits all the Ford and Mercury 223 six car engines with a V engine code from 1961 to 1963. Also fits all 1961 to 1963 F100, F250, F350 Ford 223 six Trucks with a J engine code & 262 six Truck engines with a B code engine F250, F350, and also the bigger F500, F600, etc. trucks too.

The fourth Oil Pump is the Melling M-67A (see Picture 5 below) this pump only fits in the 1964 Ford 223 six cars with a V engine code & all the 1964 Ford F100, F250, F350, and bigger Trucks with a 223 six with a J engine code or the 262 six with a B engine code.

The oil pumps still might be interchangeable for the M-25 & M-45 these both have the oil pick up tube mounted on the bottom cover so as long as your using the right year of parts combos, like the oil pumps pickup tubes, with the right oil pan, and the correct oil pump drive and distributors I think it should fit and work. Or for the M-67 and M-67A these both have the oil pick up tube mounted on the side of the oil pump body so again as long as your using the right year of parts combos, like the oil pumps pickup tubes, with the right oil pan, and the correct oil pump drive and distributors I think it should fit and work. For the purposes of this build will be going with the Melling M-67A Oil Pump to be able to easily use the 5/16 Hex drive that fits the 300 Ford Six DuraSpark II distributor swap.

Attachments

• Ford 1953 to 1956 car data plate decode.jpg
    Ford 1953 to 1956 car data plate decode.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Ford 1964 Warranty Number.jpg
    Ford 1964 Warranty Number.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Melling M-25 Oil Pump.jpg
    Melling M-25 Oil Pump.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Melling M-43 Oil Pump.jpg
    Melling M-43 Oil Pump.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Melling M-67 Oil Pump.jpg
    Melling M-67 Oil Pump.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Melling M-67A Oil Pump.jpg
    Melling M-67A Oil Pump.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
Found some tid bits of info today on the 1961 to 1964 262 Cylinder heads that there were at least two different combustion chamber volumes a 67 CC and a 77 CC this would make for about a good point or more in the C.R.
Also found some older but interesting posta on inline six header designs to add. https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14624

Last I also located a 223 powered truck that is quite aways away from me but could do a round trip in a day if everything went good. Truck looks a bit rough and needs a tire or two to be able to get it on a trailer, price is almost reasonable though and it's fairly complete don't know much else about it.

As a Fleet Mechanic I also used to work on quite a few Ford tractors years ago, thinking about it some today there were some with six's that looked a lot like a 223. So found out in doing more research that Ford started designing a bigger six cylinder tractor in 1957 they also decided to make use of the 223 design to make Gas & Propane versions in a 223 Cu. In. size, and a Diesel Fuel Six in a 242 Cu. In. version. Both these 223 & 242 six's had a 3.62 bore and still only had a 4 main crank that was 3.60 & 3.90 inch strokes respectively. I am thinking that 242 crank would work to give a stroke increase for a 223 or to de-stroke the 262 six. Guessing that those 242 tractor engines would also have a Forged Steel Crankshaft but I don't know that yet, I know they also made several different blocks that were stronger first ones were cracking the center mains. These later parts might be just the ticket for a Turbo engine build. The final improved Ford Diesel 242 block was the late 1966 C5NN-6010-T, before that was the first block a C0NN-6010-A then the improved blocks two C3NN-6010-A & a C. I only did Maintaince and minor repairs, tune ups, etc. so didn't get to see the interior engine parts. Probably not so easy to come by these two main parts, but their maybe a chance. Here is a little info I found today on those old 1961 to 1967 Ford 6000 tractors. https://www.dieselworldmag.com/ford/the-world-of-diesel-powered-tractors/

The 242 diesel is a lost chapter of the 223 that I've never heard before. It might be interesting to build up one of the late production, reinforced blocks. If one can be found! Custom pistons and a gas engine cylinder head might make a very sturdy engine.

Lou Manglass

Hi Lou yes I think that block could be a lot stronger I knew of people that use to use the 350 Olds diesel blocks as gas engines to race with too. I found out a little more on the 242 Diesel block that they might also have used larger diameter main bolts than a 223 or 262 block. Someone said they had used a 262 six short, block in place of the tractor engine don't know if it was a gas or Diesel engine, so they can be a bolt in interchange, they did have some trouble with the main cap bolts lessening up on those 262 blocks that used a much longer stroke crankshaft that was forged steel. Hoping to find the Main and Rod bearing sizes on the 242 crank next. Found some pictures of the diesel head its completely flat (no combustion chambers) so that wouldn't be useable for a gas engine build.

That does look a lot like a 262 block. I wonder how they hung the injector pump (and hydraulic pump) off the front? Looks like some sort of add-on to the timing chain or gears with a different cover.

Lou Manglass

Hi Lou, yes I think your right it has a special front timing cover that allows driving the diesel fuel injector pump and Hydrolic pump off of the cam timing gear. Paps61 also sent me a couple interesting things today on these Ford tractors, a link to a 1964 Ford Commander 6000 Tractor being sold for parts picture shows some more engine details. Also below is a vintage Ford film talking about these Big Ford Commander 6000 Tractors in it there are some more details about these engines too.

[Paps61 said]
"Here’s a link to a 242 diesel tractor for parts I tried posting to your thread but it came up in error, I like the exhaust manifold for a turbo! Also be curious to know how that injection works I’m assuming when they say direct injection it’s injected into the combustion chamber interesting has the same 4 port intake and injectors in the opposite side of the head by the injector pump."

"here’s also a YouTube video I found on the old commander 6000 tractors at around the 5:46
into the video it talks a little about 3 engine options and states forged steal crankshaft.
I love these old vintage videos there is one of my truck also."

The New Ford Commander 6000 Tractor

Hi Lou, yes I think your right it has a special front timing cover that allows driving the diesel fuel injector pump and Hydrolic pump off of the cam timing gear. Paps61 also sent me a couple interesting things today on these Ford tractors, a link to a 1964 Ford Commander 6000 Tractor being sold for parts picture shows some more engine details. Also below is a vintage Ford film talking about these Big Ford Commander 6000 Tractors in it there are some more details about these engines too.

[Paps61 said]
"Here’s a link to a 242 diesel tractor for parts I tried posting to your thread but it came up in error, I like the exhaust manifold for a turbo! Also be curious to know how that injection works I’m assuming when they say direct injection it’s injected into the combustion chamber interesting has the same 4 port intake and injectors in the opposite side of the head by the injector pump."

"here’s also a YouTube video I found on the old commander 6000 tractors at around the 5:46
into the video it talks a little about 3 engine options and states forged steal crankshaft.
I love these old vintage videos there is one of my truck also."

The New Ford Commander 6000 Tractor
A forged steel crank with a cast iron oil pan. I suspect they used the oil pan as a "girdle" to reinforce the bottom end. Either, or both, of those pieces would help the durability of any high performance 223. I know the blocks had to be similar as I used brackets designed for a tractor to convert my pickup to an alternator. Somewhere down the road I'd like to weld the bottom brackets together to make it one piece, otherwise it was a easy bolt-on and fit perfectly.

Lou Manglass

As a Fleet Mechanic I also used to work on quite a few Ford tractors years ago, thinking about it some today there were some with six'es that looked a lot like a 223. So found out in doing more research that Ford started designing a bigger six cylinder tractor in 1957 they also decided to make use of the 223 design to make Gas & Propane versions in a 223 Cu. In. size, and a Diesel Fuel in a 242 Cu. In. version. Both these 223 & 242 six'es had a 3.62 bore and still only had a 4 main crank that was 3.60 & 3.90 inch strokes respectively. I am thinking that 242 crank would work to give a stroke increase for a 223 or to destroke the 262 six. Guessing that those 242 tractor engines would also have a Forged Steel Crankshaft but I don't know that yet, I know they also made severial different blocks that were stronger first ones were cracking the center mains. These later parts might be just the ticket for a Turbo engine build. The final improved Ford Diesel 242 block was the late 1966 C5NN-6010-T, before that was the first block a C0NN-6010-A then the improved blocks two C3NN-6010-A & a C. I only did Maintance and minor repairs, tune ups, ect so didn't get to see the interior engine parts. Probably not so easy to come by these two main parts, but their maybe a chance. Here is a little info I found today on those old 1961 to 1967 Ford 6000 tractors. https://www.dieselworldmag.com/ford/the-world-of-diesel-powered-tractors/
Were they painted yellow. There is a yellow 223 for sale about 75 miles west of me. Listing says may have been in a tractor. $250.

On the first Ford Commander 6000 Tractors built in 1961 and through part of the 1962 production year the engines were all painted in Red. Sometime during the 1962 production year when the improvements were made they were then painted in Blue until the end of their production in late 1967. I haven't researched the engine colors used for all years of cars and trucks with the 223 six'es yet but I do know on my Dads new 1956 Ford F100 that the 223 engine was painted in yellow I am fairly certain that the 1955 pickups were to. My 1954 Customline 223 engines block and head were Black the Valve Cover and Air Cleaner was Red but I know that engine was worked on before I got it and so it might of been painted differently.

My '58 F-100 may have been yellow too. It's a bronze/light orange sort of color now but it may be yellow that's aged and succumbed to engine heat. It was combined with an off-white valve cover and air cleaner. I wish my memory was better, I've had my hands on this truck since it was new. I do know it never matched any of the "restoration" colors that are typically supported for Fords.

Ford painted their engines differently over the years and during most of the 1950's up until 1965 you could even tell what the engine size was and if it was a car or truck engine just by the color of the engine block and Valve cover and sometimes the year of the engine too. This was the system Ford used starting in 1952 (on the first OHV Lincoln Y Block V8's and also the Ford OHV 215 sixes) it was used until 1965. This was so that mechanics could quickly ID an engine in those cars or trucks. Back then the Ford dealers had a booklet with all that info in it to pass out to the locale area garages each year it was updated. Afterwards starting In 1966 to 1981 all Ford engines were painted in Ford Corporate Blue. These 1950"s car and trucks have some of the most detailed engine compartments when they are done in the factory colors and parts.

The 1951 to 1953 215 "Mileage Maker" Six Colors

When the new Ford 215 OHV "Mileage Maker" Inline Six came out in the F1, F2, F3, F4, series (Bonus Built) pickups in late 1951 it was painted in Red like the other 1951 pickup engines. Source According to CG Ford Parts the Bronze engine Paint was for passenger cars and the Red is for trucks, I don't know if I ever seen a stock 1951 pickup with a 215 in it though so this info seems a bit sketchy, it may of been that the early build 1952 pickups in that case I would think they were painted in the Light Lincoln Green Color.

With the introduction of the F-100, F250, F350, Etc. in 1952 & 1953 the 215's pickup engines were painted in a light Green (this is said to be the Lincoln / Mercury engine Green with the paint from Bill HirschAuto.com being the best match and after that the Detroit Diesel Alpine Green or Kylon # 2007 is said to be a close match) they have a Black Oil Bath Air Cleaner and Accessory items.

The 1952 & 1953 Ford 215 car engines were painted in a Bronze color?

The 223 "Mileage Maker" Six Colors
For the First year 1954 car 223 engine Block and Head (also the 1954 Ford Y Block V8's were painted that way too) they were painted in a Cream Color G & G Early Ford Parts in Calif has duplicated this color exactly see below. https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfiles/cg_cat1_engine_engine_paint.html ,The Valve Cover and Oil Bath Air Cleaner are painted in a deep dark Red DuplaColor #1632 matches this Red very well. Some of my 1954 223 six parts like the Valve Cover and Air Cleaner were still that original Red and i also had an original 1954 239 Y Block that had these color.

The 1954 Ford 223 Six Engine
On the 1954 Ford Pickup engines the 223 Six & Y Block V8's the Block and Head were painted in a Dark Red, the valve cover was painted in Agent Silver accessories and Oil Bath Air Cleaner were Black.

1955 Ford Car 223 "Mileage Maker" Six Colors

The 1959 to 1964 223 "Mileage Maker" Six Colors
The Ford Galxie Club lists that the 1959 to 1964 Ford cars with a 223 engines block and head were painted in Black with a Red valve cover and air cleaner, I don't know if the tin side cover was also painted Red or Black my best guess is that it was Black to save on assembly time. From working at the Ford assembly plant in Pico Rivera, Calif, and restoring many other Ford engines over the years I know that it was Fords practice to paint their long block engines after they were complacently assembled, this was with the Oil Pan, Timing Cover, Valve Lifter Side Cover, installed and so all the hardware was also painted to. The exception to this was that the valve covers were painted separate and the valve cover bolts with their special washer type head and its attached lock washer were left in their natural metal. The accessory items like the Air Cleaners, Generator and Starter and any mounting brackets, Breather Caps, etc. were also painted Black.

The 1961 to 1964 262 Big Ford Six
The 1964 F100 with the 262 Six long block was painted in Black the Valve cover was painted in Argent Silver. I will add this these engine colors as I can find more details. I am not sure about the big truck 262 and some special order 262's used in the 1962 & 63 F100 to F350's and maybe even the 1961's pickups were all painted as above but. They very well could of been, I even did some minor maintenance on some F500 or F600 trucks with the 262 six back when I was in still in high school but i just can't remember what their color combo was. I will try to update this info as I can find this info.

Engine Colors​

Ford cars​

YearBlockValve coversAir cleanerAccessories
1954IvoryRed
1955Ford RedBlack
1956Ford RedBlackArgentBlack
1957Ford RedBlack
1958Ford RedBlack
1959Blue or BlackRedRedBlack

Mercury cars​

1954IvoryLight GreenLight GreenFlat Black
1955Pale YellowPale Yellow
Red letters
Pale YellowPale Yellow
1956GoldBlueBlue

Edsel cars​

1959Semi-gloss BlackGold MetallicGold MetallicGloss Black

Trucks​

1954RedArgentBlackBlack
1955YellowArgentBlackBlack
1956YellowArgentBlackBlack
1957Yellow
1961BlackFord RedSemi-gloss Black
1962BlackFord RedSemi-gloss Black
1963BlackFord RedSemi-gloss Black
1964BlackFord RedSemi-gloss Black

Attachments

• 1954 Ford Car Cream Engine Paint.jpeg
    1954 Ford Car Cream Engine Paint.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I wonder if production plant had anything to do with engine color? FWIW, my truck came from Mahwah, NJ. That 52-53 Bronze sounds like the color under the hood of the '58 F-100.

Lou Manglass

Hi Lou, I can't say for sure I only worked at the Pico Rivera, Calif. assembly plant in mid 1970's at that that time period we were building just the Big Ford cars and the Thunderbird's. Most of the Calif. sales market trucks back then like My Dads 1956 F-100 were built at the older San Jose, Calif. plant. Our engines, transmissions, and I think the rear axles were shipped by the train car loads completely assembled to our plant so we didn't paint any of them, We did paint the chassis, assembled all the body panel's and painted those. My best guess is that the engine foundry's also did the engine assembly and painting.

@bubba22349 I am so glad that you are doing a 223/262 build! I myself have started down this road myself this year. I have a 223/262, I got to re check the engine code, in my 57 F100. Currently in talks with someone to finalize a purchase of a 223 industrial engine, to use as my test best. I was thinking, instead of using some aftermarket turbo, I was playing with the idea of adapting Fords current V6 ecoboost turbos to the 223. Kind of keeping within the theme of "Mileage Maker" lol.

I dont know if this helps you any, but this is what I found during my rabbit hole. Provides a plethora of information regarding Ford 6's. Not to sure how much of this information and parts are interchangeable with the 223/262, as I am fairly green to this scene.

It would be amazing if other 223/262 enthusiasts can come together to design/re-design, and manufacture parts for this engine, like they did for the 240/300 model. I don't know, maybe I'm getting to excited about this.

In an earlier post, you mentioned working at the Pico plant at a point in time. Are you still local? Perhaps we can collaborate on this engine project?

@Ozzl.pZ, yes I was born there and lived there in the little town of South El Monte about 10 years before it was even a town so was a native of that local area. Later on after returning from service in the US Army end of 1972 got married and moved a few miles away to Temple City Ca. So the majority of my life I was spent in Southern Calif. also lived in the Central Valley town of Visalia for quite awhile and San Mateo for a job. Went back to and finally left Temple city and Calif in late Nov. 2013 and moved to Az. I do miss all the new and used car and truck parts sources and buddy's that I had there. It's much harder here in that respect here but then haven't been able to look much either what I have seen is parts and car prices are generally much higher here.

Yes would be nice if there was a good 12 port head with moderen combustion chambers and ports for the 216, 223, and 262. Though they are still a popular engine for truck use I don't know that anyone would go to the effort nessisary to build a new head and other parts to build it into a real Hi Performance Six. There is a casting plant in (Fontana) and in Fontana that could likely do it if the cores were made. With a Turbo I don't think the stock head ported is going to be as bad a limiting factor as it is for NA operation but that's just my OPIN. Good idea about the EcoBoost V6 Turbo's can't say I have studied them to know much about them and if the sizing would be good for these old Inlines. My plan was to just use a single Turbo just to lower the cost some. I do know from racing my 56 F100 223 that the Conecting Rods are a major weak point that will need to be addressed with a set of stronger aftermarket Rods along with a custom made set of Forged Pistons would both are easy enough now days to handle for a decent price. I have a great shop here but no 223 / 262 engine parts acquired yet. Thank you for theose links I apreseate any help and am no opossed to doing a build with someone but I think I am about 500 miles or more from your area I my age I don't get to travel as much now.

@Ozzl.pZ, yes I was born there and lived there in the little town of South El Monte about 10 years before it was even a town so was a native of that local area. Later on after returning from service in the US Army end of 1972 got married and moved a few miles away to Temple City Ca. So the majority of my life I was spent in Southern Calif. also lived in the Central Valley town of Visalia for quite awhile and San Mateo for a job. Went back to and finally left Temple city and Calif in late Nov. 2013 and moved to Az. I do miss all the new and used car and truck parts sources and buddy's that I had there. It's much harder here in that respect here but then haven't been able to look much either what I have seen is parts and car prices are generally much higher here.

Yes would be nice if there was a good 12 port head with moderen combustion chambers and ports for the 216, 223, and 262. Though they are still a popular engine for truck use I don't know that anyone would go to the effort nessisary to build a new head and other parts to build it into a real Hi Performance Six. There is a casting plant in (Fontana) and in Fontana that could likely do it if the cores were made. With a Turbo I don't think the stock head ported is going to be as bad a limiting factor as it is for NA operation but that's just my OPIN. Good idea about the EcoBoost V6 Turbo's can't say I have studied them to know much about them and if the sizing would be good for these old Inlines. My plan was to just use a single Turbo just to lower the cost some. I do know from racing my 56 F100 223 that the Conecting Rods are a major weak point that will need to be addressed with a set of stronger aftermarket Rods along with a custom made set of Forged Pistons would both are easy enough now days to handle for a decent price. I have a great shop here but no 223 / 262 engine parts acquired yet. Thank you for theose links I apreseate any help and am no opossed to doing a build with someone but I think I am about 500 miles or more from your area I my age I don't get to travel as much now.
Sounds like you lived quite a life. Is a shame that we're miles apart, would've been a great collaboration.

Wouldn't hurt to create a thread here to put out some feelers about designing a new head, rods, pistons, etc. Theres got to be an engineer or two in this forum floating around lol.

But please do document your journey with project. I'd been willing to post your findings, progress, etc on a website for all to see.

Check the video link below from Power Nation. Its a full tilt build of a 300, but I imagine the methods applied to the 300 could transfer over to a 223. For instance, like boring out the cylinder to use a modern off the shelf forged piston, along with some other ideas? They added a turbo to their setup as well, and was making well over 500HP. I'm sure a 223 can easily get close to half that.

The 242 diesel seems like it could be a good starting point for a turbo motor.
I don't know, but I imagine it would have forged crank, rods and pistons with a good sized dish in them.
With the dished pistons and a gas engine head the static compression ratio would be low enough to run a lot of boost.
Add head and main studs and it might even stay together. :giggle:

Back