benefits of swapping distributors - PONY CARBS' RESPONSE

A

Anonymous

I just emailed Pony Carbs, and they said that there is no performance benefit of changing to a dual advance dist. (with vacuum + centrifugal advance) if my current one (Loadomatic) is operating properly.

I didn't think this was true....is it?

The loadomatic cannot provide any advance at higher speeds under WOT condition. As vacuum falls off, so does advance. That's ok but not optimal as the engine needs more advance at higher speeds regardless of throttle openings. In fact, this was one of the published shortcomings in a couple of hiperformance engine buildups that were published in the early sixties.

I emailed them what MustangSix said, and here is their reply:

"The statment you sent on 3/26 is not true. It is ventrui vacuum that advances the dist. timing, not intake manifold vac."

And I checked the shop manual, and what they said is correct. When intake manifold vac. falls, venturi vac. takes over.

So maybe the Loadomatic isn't as bad as everyone thinks. :unsure:: :unsure:

Well, I'm not going to get into a distributor debate with them. I can only say that for me, they do not perform as well as the later distributors that I have swapped, even when they work properly. Every engine builder has a preference for what he uses. Mine is to use a later distributor.

But then too, I have never used an 1100 in any performance build up either.

Your choice.

I think what they are missing is that the 1100 does not provide either ported or manifold vacuum (they probably know this and are missing something in the question). The circuit in the 1100 is a constant combination of the two and the stock Loadomatic is designed to work with the signal from the 1100. The resulting control that is possible with the later Dizzy is not possible with the Loadomatic.

With that being said, it always depends on what you are trying to do. For a car that mom is going to drive to the grocery store once a week there is no need to upgrade.

Find a copy of the manual for the 66’. There is an excellent explanation of this marriage between the 1100 and the Loadomatic.

Good luck, Ric.

I was asking them about upgrading to the '68-69 1100 (which has ported vacuum) in conjunction with the dual advance distributor. Their reply was that there was really no benefit in swapping from the early 1100/Loadomatic combo. to the '68-69/dual advance combo. if the first is functioning properly.

I've read the whole section on the Loadomatic and 1100. Sounds like a pretty good system when everything's working like it's supposed to.

It is a good simple setup that makes a reliable 90-100hp at the flywheel. If the stock performance level is your goal without the hassle of trying to mix and match parts, then you know what your combination needs to be.

The only aftermarket distributor I think is still available is the Mallory dual point, but I'm not sure that's still in production.

I agree with Jack. The "Loadomatic" dual vacuum advance dizzy is a good simple basic setup. And Pony carbs may be correct when they say that there is no real "Performance" gain by swapping it out for the dual advance unit, HOWEVER, from a reliability, troubleshooting, and above stock performance standpoint, the later dual advance is superior. The dizzy can be recurved, and controlled to a much higher/more granular level, and when there are problems, the dizzy can be throubleshot with much greater ease. Additionally, when there are other problems, they wil be easier to spot. And finally, there are problems that are unique to the Loadomatic that can be very, very difficult to pindown. That alone is worth the swap.

That is just my 2¢

Bill

Back