Blow thru carb, Supercharged 300 questions

Fordman75

1K+
VIP
It's been a while since I've thought about all this stuff. I've wanted to run an Eaton supercharger on a 300 for a long time. I'm working on a long term project now so I might as well go ahead and go with the supercharged 300 in it. I'm not an EFI guy so it's going to be a blow thru carb/s set up. Oh and I'll most likely be running E85. :mrgreen: For anyone not familiar with my project It's a 1984 F250 4x4 chassis that I shortened the wheelbase 45" and am mounting a 1954 F100 body on. When it's done it will probably weigh in around 5500-6000 pounds. It's going to be my year round driver, work truck, play toy. :mrgreen:

I have a some ideas, a few questions and concerns. :unsure:

I'm considering two different set ups right now:

1. The first is a M112 with an air to water intercooler and a single 4V carb.

With a single 4V how much of a problem will #1 & #6 cylinder leaning out be?

Even though it's more complex would a dual carb set up be a safer set up to run?

2. The second would be two M90 superchargers, each feeding it's own carb. Each carb and M90 would have a completely separate water to air intercooler set up. If I go this way I don't plan to have any balance tube between the two intake manifold sections. So it would be like two supercharged 150 c.i. 3 cylinders. :rolflmao: This set up is more complex but I think it would give even better throttle response. I also think with the dual carbs it would be less likely to lean out the end cylinders and burn a piston.

Can anyone see any issues this system might cause?

My plan is to build the system and get it set up on a very mild long block and limit the boost to keep the engine alive for a while. Once I get the truck on the road and drivable I'll start building a stronger short block and hopefully I'll be able to buy an aluminum head from Mike when he gets them done. 8)

I guess I'll just go for it. :unsure: :eek: Just like the rest of the project. It'll go or it'll blow. :rolflmao:

I have decided I'm going to run it on E85. I'm starting from scratch on the fuel system either way. So I'm just going to get all E85 compatible parts.

woodbutcher":11tbe304 said:
:beer: OMG.ANOTHER mad scientist among us.Rock on Ted.Good luck.Have fun.Keep us posted.Post pictures.PLEASE.
Leo

I think you are correct on the "mad" part. Building a 1954 Ford F100/F250 4x4 with a supercharged( or dual supercharged ) 300 running on E85 puts it's in the weird category. :mrgreen:

It'll be a year before I get into the engine much. But I'm already looking for a good deal/s on the Eatons. That's going to determine which set up I go with. If I get a good deal on a M112 I'll go single. If I get the deal on a pair of M90's then duals it is. :eek:

If I do go with duals I will be building my own intake manifold. So I guess I need to get a torch set up and learn how to weld aluminum!! :rolflmao:

Back