Blown crossflow 200

The following is the casting numbers for the crossflow heads along with the combustion chamber volume, combustion chamber shape, and valve size. The crossflow head can use the 1.72 roller rockers found on the Cleveland and 429 heads.

Cast # Volume Shape
C1 47-49 kidney
C2 41-42 closed
D 42 closed
E1 57 closed 1mm larger inlet valves
E2 50 kidney 1mm larger inlet valves
XD-XE alloy heads - 57cc
If the head is not off a XD-XE, it will have a letter and number marked in between #1 and
#2 cyl of the inlet side.. its clearly marked either C1, C1A, C2, C2A, E1, E2 or D..
If you cant see any casting codes, then it is a XD-XE head

MustangSix did a write-up on rebuilding a 250 Crossflow and included some of the differences and similarities between the AU and US 250. A good read:
https://fordsix.com/ams/australian-250-crossflow-swap.50/

Hope this helps

Thanks Rocklord, Im not familular with the whole set of casting codes, so you have enlightened us there. I have a couple of spare heads which are varied, plus the one on the car, which is the bigger valve open chamber units. the article you references is dated 2001, I got involved slightly before that, I had a couple of phone conversations with Mustangsix, and I was living in Perth at the time and visited JD at his home. I initially came on the forum to discuss the 250-2v heads that were virtually unknown in the US at that time, this sparked quite a bit of interest. Its such a pity the clasic inlines head all fell down, but thats life. Since JD bought his stuff locally from Perth, and Perths water is corrosive as buggery, almost all alloy heads need welding. Now that I live in Victoria where drinking water is rain water and quite pure, corrosion is almost unknown here. RIMG0126.JPGAnyway heres a piccie of my alloy head

Hi aussie7mains from vanJack.. long time lurker, sometime poster and Queenslander.. unfortunately not retired yet. Good to hear from you. Very intrigued with your supercharged xflow xp. I let myself get talked out of staying on gas in my 89 xf van when putting it back on the road after an extended off road period due to being overworked and underrepaired. Back on the road running regular fuel again. In the meantime bought an xh van, (what a revelation an extra 50 kilowatts was..), which has been my daily since.. Been thinking about supercharging the xf but just more after the torque than the hp. I put an ea cfi manifold on the xf with a 390 holley, still gotta tune it though. Very nice dash gauge setup.. approve.. Just a fellow Aussie Ford tragic saying g'day.. J.

Hi aussie7mains from vanJack.. long time lurker, sometime poster and Queenslander.. unfortunately not retired yet. Good to hear from you. Very intrigued with your supercharged xflow xp. I let myself get talked out of staying on gas in my 89 xf van when putting it back on the road after an extended off road period due to being overworked and underrepaired. Back on the road running regular fuel again. In the meantime bought an xh van, (what a revelation an extra 50 kilowatts was..), which has been my daily since.. Been thinking about supercharging the xf but just more after the torque than the hp. I put an ea cfi manifold on the xf with a 390 holley, still gotta tune it though. Very nice dash gauge setup.. approve.. Just a fellow Aussie Ford tragic saying g'day.. J.
Mine has a tonne of torque available at any time, I recon its like a 5.5litre V8 in that regard. There is no need to rev it, Im only taken it to 4500rpm a couple of times, it is still pulling really hard at that. I was going to blow the 250-2v I had in the car when i bought it, but didnt like the idea of having the blower directly over the exhaust, I also thought of the SOHC VCT engine. I had a Fairmont ghia at the time with one, (pick of the SOHC sixes) I looked into it, but the thermostat housing was a troublesome area. In the end crossflow seemed easyest. Im really pleased with it. As to lpg it works really well with boost, runs smooth as a turbine, no knocking etc, and 97c/litre. I do use a lot of it, 23litres per 100km.

Yes, I like that torque.. always liked driving v8s .. had an xt Fairmont wagon back in the day.. factory windsor and burgundy interior.. still miss it.. and later a 302 xd ute. Ah well, them days gone.. Anyway well done with xp ute.

For clarification, The E2 head with the kidney chamber, that's considered open? I ask because I would normally assume the closed chamber had the smaller 50cc volume and the open would have the 57cc chamber. Is the E2 the best for performance, with the smaller open chamber and larger inlet?

I would consider the head Ive shown to be open chamber it has the bigger valves, I run 9:1 CR on a 200 with flat top pistons, this works well with LPG (propane ) and boost. It would also work well with petrol and NA. The 200 crossflows were rated at 88kW with the small two barrel Weber carb, thats to DIN, so actually fairly good for that application (117bhp) the log 200s would not go anywhere near that in stock trim. They go about as well as the log 250s. IMO the head I have is about the best for performance, the EFI 250s had near on the power and torque of the 5litre V8s. (155bhp). The standard carby intake for the weber carb seems to work OK, but Aussiespeed have two and 4 barrel manifolds which are almost certainly better. Crow in Australia has a good selection of cams to pick. The 250s are not big revers and work on lotsa mid range torque, I,m not sold on the whole roller rocker thing, its uneccesary unless your going all out, but you do need to have new rocker pivots (iron if you can find them) and pushrods, again Crow can provide the stuff you need, retainers locks etc. Other than that there isnt much to concern you, oil pumps are best when replaced by the JP brand (Adelaide, look under Nornda) and stock volume is plenty. These old things are bomb proof.

Last edited:
Back