Budget carb improvements on 200 ideas.

A

Anonymous

My son and I are fixing up his 1967 Mustang with a 200 3 speed.
Any hints or ideas are welcome.
So far he ordered a set of Hooker headers, we plan to run dual exaust.
We would like to improve the carb set up.

Thank you,

Russ

BTW: This is a great site.

eng2after.jpg

Here is a pic of cleaned up engine ready to put back in.

Russ[/img]

Howdy Russ:

Nice looking engine. Are you looking to maintain a stock appearance? Are you planning other mods? What are your goals? What is your budget?

For stock appearing you could move up to an Autolite 1101. It has a cfm of 215, compared to 187 for a 200 1100. It was used on full size FoMoCo cars and trucks from '63. '65 and later had automatic chokes. It was used in '69 only on FoMoCo vehicles with the 250 six. While fairly scarce, they make a good upgrade for a stock appearance. Gas and vacuum lines and linkage are all the same as with an 1100.

Upgrading to a '68 or '69 distributor, with both vacuum and centrifugal advance makes for a nice, stock appearing, improvement. You'll think that you have a new carb.

If you are willing to leave the realm of "Stock appearing" there are many other options

Adios, David

Howdy Russ:

Nice looking engine. Are you looking to maintain a stock appearance? Are you planning other mods? What are your goals? What is your budget?

For stock appearing you could move up to an Autolite 1101. It has a cfm of 215, compared to 187 for a 200 1100. It was used on full size FoMoCo cars and trucks from '63. '65 and later had automatic chokes. It was used in '69 only on FoMoCo vehicles with the 250 six. While fairly scarce, they make a good upgrade for a stock appearance. Gas and vacuum lines and linkage are all the same as with an 1100.

Upgrading to a '68 or '69 distributor, with both vacuum and centrifugal advance makes for a nice, stock appearing, improvement. You'll think that you have a new carb.

If you are willing to leave the realm of "Stock appearing" there are many other options

Adios, David

David,
Thank you.
We are not going for the stock look, just neatness and cleanliness.
We got our Hooker headers today, and intend to run 2" dual exhaust.
Leaning towards adapter to 2V carb.
We installed a Pertronix point replacement module in the stock distributor.
We intend to use Pertronix "Flame Thrower " coil.

We only pulled engine to clean up engine bay, and engine. It turned out pretty good in MHO.

My son is still in high school and has limited resources (read $) but we have all the tools and equiptment to do the work even a lift.

His goal is to get some more pep, and to keep car in a clean condition. It is a daily driver status car, and he likes the head turning looks he gets. Typical teenager goals, good looking, good sounding, fun to drive. I of course want to keep it safe, and reliable for him.

Would like to hear your opions on various 2V carb set ups for the 200.

Many thanks,

Russ

Couple things that maybe some of the experts can chime in on.

- Unless you've had a head/cam rebuild, i've read that running dual 2-in exhaust will acutally casue you to loose power since you won't have enough backpressure. It was suggested to me to not run bigger than 1 1/2 if you are running true duals.

Since you've got the dizzy already done, I would recommend the Holley 2100 2-bbl carb from Stovebolt. You can get an adapter from Clifford for about $50, and the carb is only $60-ish for a rebuilt one. It was a super easy install works with the stock linkage with minor modification.

There is a link on one of the pages that shows the different setups but this was one of the better mods I did to my car.

Good luck!

The requirement for backpressure, per se, is a myth. The real reason that you sometimes see a loss of power or torque is that a better flowing exhaust often leads to a leaner mixture due to better scavenging and more air being ingested on the intake stroke.

That's why modern EFI engines can show such significant improvements with just an exhaust change. They automatically compensate for the mixture variation and more power results. For ex. a 94-98 V6 Mustang will make as much as 20hp more just by bolting on a set of V8 2 1/4" duals. Adding large tube headers might add 10 more, a whopping 20% improvement in power and torque by REDUCING backpressure.

On our older carbureted engines, however, we have to be aware that the engine can "lean out" if the exhaust backpressure drops significantly. A change of jetting might be in order if we expect to gain power.

Engines are dynamically complex machines and it's a vast oversimplification to state that a difference in exhaust pipe size will have a great effect. It might have a positive, negative, or zero effect on a given engine. On most 200's, with conventional turbo style mufflers there's probably no difference to be seen between a 1 1/2" dual exhaust and a 2" dual exhaust. And I'd bet a six pack that a 2 1/4" system would show no significant loss of power either.

I've seen good results with 200's using the stock V8 2" dual exhaust systems and don't hesitate to recommend that as the most cost effective system.

Back