BW-40

A

Anonymous

HI , I BELIEVE MY CAR HAS A BORG WARNER 40, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IT AND A BW 35 ?, I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT HAS A LOCK UP CONVERTER, WHAT DOES THIS DO?????"....................THANKS

No it doesn't. My Falcon should have a BW 40 in it, but has a BW35 for some reason. The 40's were calibrated for the high torque EFI engine. There was no longer a stronger C4 auto to option up for the stage 1, 2 and 3 tow-packs Ford offered.

I think the first BW 35 came out in either the 1959 British Ford Zephyr/ Ausrin Cambridge or 1963 Triumph 2000. The local Falcon got this before the C4 came into being. It is a generic name for the box, and was also modified for the Saab and Austin 1800 fwd cars. Then it got a smaller external case to become the Rover 3500's BW 65...Volvo also used these. Even Cortinas with Kent pushrod engines ran BW 35's!

I know nothing else. The BW 40 is just a revamp that copes with the load better than the BW 35 does. I don't trust a BW tranny as far as I could throw it, even if it is light, efficient, and smooth if set up properly. And that's no disrespect to the fine work Borg Warner have done with these one-size fits all automatics.

BTR, Borg Warners new name plate, made the lock-up clutch BTR LE 65/85/95 auto's. Aisin Warner did superb little AW44 lock-up clutch autos but they were for sub 3 litre engines, Volvo 760 GLE's, Toyota Cressidas. They have been reworked for high-boost Volvo242 Turbo's...one is on Art Carrs US website. Then the kick a$$- teak tough AW 30-40 series became the auto for Lexus, (first seen in Toyota Dyna trucks!) and Toyota Crown, Jeep, Mitsubishi Pajero...that is one bomb proof unit in a way a BW 35/40 can never be!

my falcon had a bw40 in it and it isnt efi which is an 84 xf

Back