Can someone *please* tell me what this carb is???

65fback

I popped my hood today to look at the carb and dizzy setup as I remembered the vacuum setup looked weird to me last year when I bought the car. The car runs fine, I just want to know what is on the engine so I can start putting together a plan.

Background: the car is a '65. It originally was a 3 speed stick shift. The engine was swapped out at some point in its life for a '66 with a slushomatic.

The vacuum from the slushomatic runs to the intake manifold, not the carb. Also, the vacuum to the dizzy runs from.... the intake manifold, not the carb. That got me looking closer at the car. The carb just does not look like any Autolite 1100 pics that I've been able to find. Nor have I been able to visually identify the carb against any other pics. The carb does say 'Autolite' on the side and the number "DOPF-9510L" with "4530 OCJ" under it is stamped on the back. There is no tag. The stamped number says it's an AUtolite 1100 used on Mustangs '66-'67, but like I said, it does not look like any pic of any Autolite 1100 I've ever seen.

Here's some pics I took today. One is of the weird vacuum setup. The other four are the four sides of the carb. I didn't think to take a 3/4 view shot of it. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/65fba ... arb?page=1

So my questions are: does anyone know what this carb is? And can I tell what my dizzy is without pulling it?

I'm pretty sure it's a Holley 1940. It was a service replacement carb for the 1100--yours is about a 1970. See this thread

As for the distributor, it should have a part number on the side of it. If you can see that without pulling it (at least the first part), that'd probably be the simplest way.

Plot thickens. Found the part number for the distributor. C5DF-E. Its for a200 manual transmission without thermistor. At least for 66. I don't have a65 repair manual yet. So how is the loadomatic dizzy working? The car is running fine. At least as far as I can tell. I've never had a 6 before.

65fback":3aclgqry said:
Plot thickens. Found the part number for the distributor. C5DF-E. Its for a200 manual transmission without thermistor. At least for 66. I don't have a65 repair manual yet. So how is the loadomatic dizzy working? The car is running fine. At least as far as I can tell. I've never had a 6 before.
Yep, that's probably a LOM distributor. With the advance being connected directly to manifold vacuum, it's still getting vacuum to advance, it just isn't as optimally curved as it should be. I haven't tried an LOM distributor without a matching carb, but I'm guessing switching distributors or using an SCV carb might help performance. I'm not sure if the 1940 has an SCV port or not.

Of course, there's always don't fix it if it isn't broken haha.

It sounds like someone has played around with swapping the engine bits around, so I would ensure that the block is post-64 vintage to ensure that the DS2 will fit.

The engine block is a '66. I discovered that last year while beginning to take stock of my purchase. I can understand why someone converted the car to slushomatic, just wish it hadn't been done to mine. :roll: What can I say, the car is in pretty good shape for the price I paid, it's a fastback which is what I've always wanted. I figured dealing with a minor inconvienence in the transmission was a small price to pay.

Besides, P/N of the Loadomatic is a '65 PN, so no way it could be a pre-'65.

In your situation I would just ditch the LOD the way it's hooked up not going to work well. If you want to stay with a point distributor you can look for a 1968 up. Otherwise the DSII is probably best bang for the buck.

Thanks all for helping me identify the carb. I would have been forever figuring that one out. It's not listed in the Falcon performance handbook.

A DSII dizzy is definitely in the plans. I think seatbelts and dual master cylinder are first though. That and finding out where the heck I put the '69 steering column I bought previously for the '66 convertible went...

Back