carburetor for turbo?

A

Anonymous

what carbs are you guys using, and on what size engines?

has anyone used the Carter YF's with any degree of success, or have you all gone to 2-bbls?

well I am gonna shot for using my stock 1100 with additional fuel supply (n20 fuel nozzle and a hobbs switch) the 110 has a nice large 2" opening that I can clamp onto easily with a silicon hose. if it works even better. main reason for it is that it will be the least amount of work for me right now and is what I have around plus my 250 head is not even close to being ready yet.

nick

sorry- blow through. i have McInnes' book, but the carb modification section only really says i need to seal the throttle shaft, and reroute the power valve channel.

is it really that easy?

At low levels of boost, below 9 pounds, that is all. Since the fuel in American domestic models gives good pressure up to 6.5 psi in most cars, there is no need to do any modifications from 4 to 6 pounds.

Please read Dave Emaneul's book on Holley carbs. It's early 1981, and had some 1988 inclusions. It has a turbo section which covers what H.McInnes states. It also covers the ported vaccum the dissy needs to run off, and the control of a boost retard system if you want more boost. The fuel pressure is the issue, so follow there lead on that. You can't expect a 9 psi turbo boost to allow a 6 psi fuel load go into the carby at full boost.

There is onfo on boost referencing the adaptor plate you'd use on the Holley or Ford 2100/2150 carb you can use. This allows you to forget about teflon bushing or sealing the throttle, a pain of a job. The adive is worth every cent! The Holley~Weber 5200 can cope too, but its a little harder to calibrate as it doesn't like to have to take more than 3.5 psi of fuel pressure.

Remember, a turbo is there for boosting, and everyone ends up using all the boost they can. I'd follow Dave Emaneul's advice.

The latter big log heads found on the last 1977 onwards 3.3/4.1 engines is a stout piece of kit with big runners, big valves, and sits in a low compression engine which is just aching for some boost.

At 9 pounds of boost, there is over 1.5 times the power. If you have only 100 hp, you'll get 150 hp easily with no mods to the 1-bbl, just the carb altered per McInnes and Emanuel's advice. In practice, guys get close to 150 hp with just a small cam and some good 2-bbl carburation. A V8 spec Ford 2150 found on a 302/351/400 V8 truck is designed for 129/140/164 hp net, so it will liberate a lot of power. The best carb is possibly the 2V 351 C carb found in old 1972-1974 V8 Torinos and some Mustangs. Able to do about 216 hp net, from memory.

When its turboed, you get a proportional increase. A swap to the original spec that Jack Colins used on his 250 1-bbl before the cross flow six got dumped in was a good baseline. Just use the stock compression, and you will be fine. Don't go over 8:1.

The total amount of boost, say 9 psi, is diveded by two, and added to your compression ratio. It can't go over 11:1 with a stock cam (or 6 psi), not over 12.5:1 with a longer duration cam at the 270 degree (9 psi).

The stock 1-bbl carb emaculates the 200 or 250 past about 125 hp. With the later head, and a 2-bbl, you'll get up to 150 hp on a stock engine with 265 to 270 cam and a good exhast. With a turbo, the exhast can stay the same with just a j-tube, and you'll still get a great boost of up to 225 hp with 9 pounds of boost.

The big bell 200, or any 250, is the best to modify as it gives more room to fit the turbo and exhast plumbing with the low-mount V8-style starters they have.

xecute,

I though turbos were less sensitive to compression ratio and you could infact run higher "compression ratio" then with a supercharger (which is what it sounds like you are talking about).

Slade

8) you can run slightly higher compression with a turbo than a supercharger, not much though, as the boost comes on a bit later, and in a smaller amount initially. but where a supercharger increases boost in direct relationt o rpm, the turbo increases boost at the rate of the square of the rpm change. with a supercharger, double the rpm you double the boost. with a turbo double the rpm, the boost goes up X4.

correction to the boost issue.....14 psi is 100% more hp........if u had 100 hp u would get 200hp at 14 psi.....so 7 psi would add 50% more equalling 150hp

but i cant even figure out how to put my avatar..........so........

14 psi is a 100% gain only at 100% efficiency, which doesn't happen. You need to look at density ratios not pressure ratios when you're looking at power gains. Typically the density increase is only about 3/4 of the pressure increase so 14 PSI could be expected to yield about a 75% gain in HP.

Red_Racy_Six_Pack_Pony":8ayiff34 said:
very true............but how do i put my avatar on....... :LOL:

You are linking it to your own computer. It needs to be uploaded to the net, then linked to it from there.

BTW.....can....someone....please....go....over....to....your....house....and....pry....off....your....damn....period....key.... ;) :D

heh :p . sorry, im used to using periods. it helps create a sense of confusion :eek:

Best turbo: high 70% range.
Average turbo: 65%.
Rootes: 45%.

Old CR X (1+(boost/ATM)) = new CR
9 lbs., 9-1 CR:
9/14.7 = .612
New CR = 1.612 X 9 = 14.51-1.

Back