CR calculations - updated after aluminum head chamber size

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

As a reminder, I'm building a '74 250 for my '62 Ranchero / C4. It's going to be .020 over, with stock stroke, the CI aluminum head, the CI intake manifold with a large 2 BBL or small 4 BBL carb, long tube headers, a streetable CI cam, and a DUI (I already have the DUI, so I'm definitely going to use it).

Heard from Mike today that the current batch of CI aluminum heads have 55 cc combustion chambers, +- 1 cc. I should receive my aluminum head within a couple of weeks.

With this information, I can update my CR calculations. Please check my arithmetic.

With stock, 6.5 cc dished pistons:

With stock type, flattop pistons:

With 255 pistons:

While I admire the courage of people who run their engines on the cutting edge of detonation, I think 10.77 is a bit too much compression for 87 octane street gas (which I might be forced to use on occasion) with a streetable cam.

I had once hoped to use Jeep 255 pistons with a .070 overbore, but sonic testing revealed that my block wasn't safe for that option.

There's still a slim chance I may be able to use 300 rods and custom pistons, but if not I'll probably fall back to the stock type, flattop pistons.

Bob the Builder

Remember that the 255 V8 pistons have valve reliefs in them.
Those will add a couple of CCs in your calculation.

Back