All Small Six Different fuel filter on 1100?

This relates to all small sixes

gserafini

Subscriber
Can I rig a different fuel filter on the Autolite 1100? I want to put a clear filter before the carb for a couple weeks to see what I’m catching. I used ti have a filter before the fuel pump but I think it’s causing me issues. Any ideas on how to add a clear filter after the fuel pump? Or how to get rid of this screw in filter and put a temporary in-line filter for it with fuel hose? Not sure how it would clamp on to the threads

Attachments

• IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
You can see my old in-line filter on the right part of the photo before the pump. Got rid of that going straight to the pump now

You can replace the brass fitting with a brass female flare fitting then use a short piece of steel fuel line with a flare nut.

I highly advise against those glass filters with end caps, VERY prone to leaking regardless of manufacturer, fire bad!

Go with something like a WIX 33003, that is a sealed 'one piece' in line fuel filter.

Attachments

• wix.jpg
    wix.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 10
There's a section of rubber fuel line between the hard line from the tank and the fuel pump. I spliced in a clear pleated element filter there to catch crud and monitor the situation back before I replaced my tank. I've left it in since for a while to see what was coming through. But it's clean now so I think I might delete it, or at least change to a metal can version. After using those metal screw into the carb filters on my 1100 for decades, I finally looked through a new one a few years ago. And then I looked through some others to see if they were all the same. I had always thought that those filters had a little pleated element in them or something and, you know, filtered the gas. But all they are is one layer of not very fine screen, not really much of a filter at all!

You can see my old in-line filter on the right part of the photo before the pump. Got rid of that going straight to the pump now
filtering before the pump is good safeguard for the pump. However it takes very little restriction in a suction actuated filter to vaporize the gas. This is usually what is going on when a pre-pump filter causes running issues. If you've got a dirty system it will not take much accumulation in the filter to cause lack of fuel at the carb. Since it's already plumed perhaps a clear filter in that pre pump location. ?

There's a section of rubber fuel line between the hard line from the tank and the fuel pump. I spliced in a clear pleated element filter there to catch crud and monitor the situation back before I replaced my tank. I've left it in since for a while to see what was coming through. But it's clean now so I think I might delete it, or at least change to a metal can version. After using those metal screw into the carb filters on my 1100 for decades, I finally looked through a new one a few years ago. And then I looked through some others to see if they were all the same. I had always thought that those filters had a little pleated element in them or something and, you know, filtered the gas. But all they are is one layer of not very fine screen, not really much of a filter at all!
That's good to know! Think I need to replace that thing then

filtering before the pump is good safeguard for the pump. However it takes very little restriction in a suction actuated filter to vaporize the gas. This is usually what is going on when a pre-pump filter causes running issues. If you've got a dirty system it will not take much accumulation in the filter to cause lack of fuel at the carb. Since it's already plumed perhaps a clear filter in that pre pump location. ?
Yes this is what I think is happening. I think i've got some stuff in the tank (not too much) but enough to block that fuel filter before the pump. Trying to find a way to put it after the pump so it gets a stronger push through of gas and does'nt have to pull that gas through a filter. If my pump gets blocked up after a while I'll just replace it and the tank if it is that bad

You can replace the brass fitting with a brass female flare fitting then use a short piece of steel fuel line with a flare nut.

I highly advise against those glass filters with end caps, VERY prone to leaking regardless of manufacturer, fire bad!

Go with something like a WIX 33003, that is a sealed 'one piece' in line fuel filter.
This is what i'm looking for, thank you! I think im going to put this wix filter right beofre the carb, and run nothing before the pump for right now and see how the car is running and how much crud makes it to the filter. If it is bad and eventually messes up the pump, i will just replace that and the tank itself because it'll be time

I have heard the same thing.
Not a contradiction, just FYI concerning the end-cap clear filters. Use them on all carburetor applications, mowers at work and 3 vehicles for many years (like, 20). No issues of any kind. Suction side of mowers and 2 vehicles, pressure side of the other. 🤞

Not a contradiction, just FYI concerning the end-cap clear filters. Use them on all carburetor applications, mowers at work and 3 vehicles for many years (like, 20). No issues of any kind. Suction side of mowers and 2 vehicles, pressure side of the other. 🤞
Okay so I got the adapter on the carb and ran it with this online filter. Drove about 20 miles going good so far! Only a few small particles but minimal and nothing major. I’m not going to worry right now haha. Only thing is that the filter is looking really full, is this normal?
IMG_7438.jpeg

Back