Distributor advance slots??? Timing questions

frank b

Those of you that have either recurved your distributor or have had it apart for other reasons, do you recall what slot you are using?
I decided to recurve mine with the mr gasket spring and I found that I have a 21L slot !! That's 42 degrees right! the other one was 18L so I rotated it to use the 18, installed the lighter spring, and bent the tab for the heavy spring. The truck ran like crap, pinging like crazy and I had to pull the vacuum advance hose off just to get home. So I put it all back the way it was. I guess it was reaching full advance too soon? Either way I don't plan on doing that again. I do need to do something because my truck pings under load, at any rpm, or gear. If I give it more throttle it gets worse first then goes away, and if I let off it goes away. I suspect it's too advanced and want to try just a different slot, maybe the 18L again, or a 13L. I see a lot of information about the duraspark distributors online in the V8 that are running 13L, would the 300 six need more advance due to the longer stroke?

Stock 82 F150 300ci with the stock 1bl.

Back