dui dizzy question

Mike,
I have two exploded views for distributor assemblies that are in my '68 shop manual for falcon, mustang, etc. The exploded views show no gasket and Ford doesn't mention it any of its procedures for removal/installation of the distributor. I agree, your images show a gasket, BUT, according to Ford in 1968, they didn't exist. I'm on business travel this week, I'll scan them in next week and link them as you did. Maybe someone else can get a set of pics up before I can?

With that said, I hope a gasket can be used to fix the leak, or maybe we can easily make the hold-down better, or check the o-ring. We'll have to see what can be done, but yeah, they leak. btw, were we supposed to receive a new hold-down clamp from performance distributors when we bought the DUI, because I didn't?

AzCoupe":6uz1lzmn said:
Of course this is assuming the distributor shaft end-play checks out, but I'm guessing since Ford originally intended for it to be there, the end-play will check out just find. Guess I'll have to prove that too.

The sarcasm in your post wasn't necessary. And yes, you will, because my pic says they weren't there. Also, my load-o-matic distributor didn't leak without a gasket.

My '68 pic says they weren't, your '75 says they were. Both pics seem to be from Ford so neither side is completely right. We just need to figure out why they're leaking, because distributors without a gasket do not leak.

Stephen

First, I dug out my 67 shop manual and the gasket wasn't shown in that diagram. The illustrations I posted were out of the Master Parts Catalog, so maybe the gasket was an optional part? Who knows.... As for them not mentioning the gasket, I don't think they mention the o-ring either? The other thing that puzzles me, if they never leaked, why did Ford make a gasket? Could it be that it was an optional part, and only installed if and when it was needed, during routine service?

Next, it still seems to me that if a gasket fixes the problem and doesn't adversely effect the end-play, then it's a viable solution. However, the only way anyone is going to accept this as a solution, is if I can prove that it doesn't. Correct? Therefore my statement was meant to be factual, rather than sarcastic. Sorry it came across that way, I guess it's just how you interpret it. ;)

Performance Distributor is looking into the problem. Could be it needs a larger o-ring, or it may be beneficial to add a second o-ring. They are also going to verify the size of the groove, to see if any adjustments are needed there. And they have agreed to see what they can do about making a better clamp. I think some of the first units included a clamp, but it was only for a short time.

Whatever they come up with, I'm quite certain they will work with anyone that is having an issue. The gasket just seems to be the quickest and easiest fix for the moment, even if it's only temporary, or until another solution can be found. Unfortunately some guys on this forum are quick to jump to conclusions, and a few derogatory statements were made, which I deleted. I just think we need to give them an opportunity to fix the problem, rather than criticize them. You can't fix a problem if you don't know about it. I've been selling the DUI for three years, yet this is the first time it's been mentioned, therefore I think we should cut them a little slack and give them a few weeks to work it out.

Mike
Thanks for getting with Davis on this. You are right about this not being brought up before. When I noticed my drooling (the Falcon, not me) I searched the forum and saw no reference to oil leaks so I assumed it was just mine. I guess everyone else assumed the same.
Since my leak isn't much of a problem I'll pass on the gasket approach. Hopefully Davis will find a solution and maybe offer a hold down clamp too.

Guys, i just ordered some special distributor o'ring seals made from viton.

This seal will withstand higher temperatures & it seals better than buna rubber when exposed to oil.

I will let you know when i have them in.

If the o'ring groove on the DUI is the same as the ford distributors 1.122-1.125" in diameter they should seal fine.

Since i don't own a DUI, i will need several guys to try them out.

Otherwise it will be an improved replacement for the seal on the loadamatic & duraspark distributors which are not available.

The corvair owners use this type of seal on the pushrod tube seal with great success. Bill

Gee, I'd like to know; does the DUI need a gasket or not, whether for clearance or sealing. Davis should know the answer. Is a gasket going to cause a clearance problem and is it absolute for the sealing the leaking problem. Davis should know the answer to all these questions. :roll:

I didn't have a LOM or DSII to compare, so I went out and bought one today. After comparing the DSII to the DUI, I think its safe to assume that the current o-ring is to small. The groove on the DUI is actually slightly larger (.015) in diameter, but the outside diameter of the installed o-ring is smaller (.018). That doesn't seem like much, but obviously it enough to result in a leak. If I remember correctly, the early versions had a larger o-ring, but several customers complained that the dizzys were to snug and difficult to install, so I think they changed to a smaller o-ring. I just don't remember for sure, as that was more than three years ago. At any rate, I sent the info to PD, so I should get a reply tomorrow. Should be an easy fix. ;)

The owner emailed me this morning and assured me they will do what is necessary to resolve our issues. He also said they shipped me a new hold down clamp to try out, as they don't have a block to test fit. No idea what it is, but I'll know in a couple of days.

I now have some larger O-rings in stock, which should do the trick. If you have a DUI that leaks, send me your address via PM or e-mail, and I'll ship one to you. No charge.

I'm going to have some custom gaskets made too, which will only be two to three thousands thick. This will help seal a dizzy, but won't adversely affect the end play, and can be used on any distributor.

I'm also having some custom billet hold down clamps made up, which will also work on any distributor. ;)

I now have distributor o'rings which match original specifications.

However mine are made of a superior material "viton"

Viton can withstand temperatures up to 450 degrees F.

They are resiliant which means they do not flatten out after in an engine for many miles.

They need to be installed with silicone grease when putting on the distributor & when placing the distributor into the block.

Yes they will require more force to get them in, but there sealing ability is paramount compared to the standard buna rubber seals.

A distributor gasket between the distributor & the block is not needed with these seals.

I have many seals available.

The first one who PM'S me with name & address will receive a free seal.

The cost otherwise will be $5.00 per seal.

These type of seals are space age technology & hold up to oil leaks on corvair pushrod tube sealing.

These seals will last for many years.

See for sale section of this forum Bill

DSCN0302_0014_edited-1.jpg

After looking into it, it looks like one of their guys was just putting the wrong (smaller) o-ring on them, when he worked on them. Therefore not all of the DUI's have the smaller o-ring, only the ones he assembled.

I haven't been on this forum for months, been working on our Barracuda. now I'm getting ready to sell the mustang, two project cars is too much and I'm really glad to find this posting. Out DUI distributor is leaking oil too but inside the distributor! I'm about to pull it and put in a points style just so I don't have the next owner calling to find out what went wrong. I'll buy the seals from Az coupe. thanks for being here. I could not figure this one out.

If you have oil inside the cap, you have a different problem. You need to call Performance Distributors and let them know. More than likely they'll have you send it in for service, which is usually free of charge.

I finally put my oil gasket seal for my dui dizzy and oil is still leaking any one else have that problem.

Back