DUI Performance Distributor ?

Howdy All:

I realize that the DUI system parade is well under way, led by very enthusiastic cheer leaders, but- for the record-

*All ignition systems will do better when kept in top tune. All engines will run more efficiently with a little more initial advance then stock specs call for and tuned for your total engine package.

*No, your Autolite 1100, with a SCV, will not send a correct vacuum signal to either a DS II or a DUI system. They both require a ported vacuum signal. If you have a performance cam with lowered engine vacuum, you can try a full manifold vacuum source to either of the better distributor systems. Autolite 1100s after '67 do not have a SCV, but do have a ported vacuum port.

*The DUI system does not have a multi-spark discharge as with an MSD6A unit. An MSD unit is not necessary to use an DuraSpark II system. The MSD 6A unit can be added to either for a multi-spark feature.

*The DUI system is contained. The coil and module are on or inside the distributor cap, for a much cleaner underhood appearance. THe DUI distributor is physically quite a bit larger than a DS II.

*Both have vacuum and centrifugal advance built in. Both are very reliable. Both offer a significant improvement over a Load-a-Matic or point type distributor.

*Recycled DS II systems are quite a bit cheaper and very reliable.

The bottom line is- maintain what you've got, tune to get the most out of it.
Some folks prefer Dolly, some prefer Paris. Your choice. Which ever way you go, enjoy it.

Just remember-A day without sunshine is like...night.

Adios, David

CZLN6":3g8xnes2 said:
Howdy All:

I realize that the DUI system parade is well under way, led by very enthusiastic cheer leaders, but- for the record-

*All ignition systems will do better when kept in top tune. All engines will run more efficiently with a little more initial advance then stock specs call for and tuned for your total engine package.

*No, your Autolite 1100, with a SCV, will not send a correct vacuum signal to either a DS II or a DUI system. They both require a ported vacuum signal. If you have a performance cam with lowered engine vacuum, you can try a full manifold vacuum source to either of the better distributor systems. Autolite 1100s after '67 do not have a SCV, but do have a ported vacuum port.

*The DUI system does not have a multi-spark discharge as with an MSD6A unit. An MSD unit is not necessary to use an DuraSpark II system. The MSD 6A unit can be added to either for a multi-spark feature.

*The DUI system is contained. The coil and module are on or inside the distributor cap, for a much cleaner underhood appearance. THe DUI distributor is physically quite a bit larger than a DS II.

*Both have vacuum and centrifugal advance built in. Both are very reliable. Both offer a significant improvement over a Load-a-Matic or point type distributor.

*Recycled DS II systems are quite a bit cheaper and very reliable.

The bottom line is- maintain what you've got, tune to get the most out of it.
Some folks prefer Dolly, some prefer Paris. Your choice. Which ever way you go, enjoy it.

Just remember-A day without sunshine is like...night.

Adios, David

David, thanks for the reality check. We have to be smart where we put our money. it's too bad the six dist. is about a 100.00 dollars more than a v-8. it seems most upgrades are 30 to 50 % more to stay with the six :cry:

grocery getter":xoa9v51o said:
David, thanks for the reality check. We have to be smart where we put our money. it's too bad the six dist. is about a 100.00 dollars more than a v-8. it seems most upgrades are 30 to 50 % more to stay with the six :cry:

My thanks to David for his comments as well and my in addition my thanks to Mike for the effort he puts into trying to get us the parts we want. I don't have the fogigiest idea of what would be the additional tooling, start up or change over cost to run a batch for the inlines would be, but I'm sure that there would be at least some. We to often fall under the "less is more" sales and production philosophy because for the most part we are considered a "nich" market. If everyone on this forum was into performance and Mike's sale of these distributors skyrocketed, the prices would come down.

My thoughts. (opinions) :LOL:

I am a thrifty guy. I found a DSll dizzy and converted the 68 200 and it works great. This worked for me because I am the kind of guy that will spend hours tinkering with something that I could buy for one hour worth of my wage. This is who I am, a builder or a tinkerer. It's what I enjoy doing. I like solving problems and figuring out how things work.
If you enjoy tinkering and solving problems go for it. Just remember there is several things to do when making this descision.

As for the DUI. 8) Most of us are limited on time and resources (shop, dist recurve kit/where to find it which one fits, patience) This is where the DUI dist comes into play. I have built race engines for many years and this dist is about as trouble free as it gets. Drop it in plug in one wire and plug in the tach, set the timing and go. 8) The intial price is higher but once you get it, the parts are readily available and cheap 8)

Go to any race track anywhere in the US and look at the dist in the cars. There are more variations of this dist than all others combined. You will even see stock pullouts from the wrecking yards. I have used stock versions of this type dist on engines with 400+ HP. With the better coil this thing will have plenty fire for anything you want to do with your six.

When I was a young man I saw these new electronic distributors as crap and thought they would be a problem :oops: I guess I just didn't want to change. :LOL: Plus I didn't get to set the points when I did a tuneup :devilish:
It's funny how our opinions change over the years. :roll:

I have a question that I already posted on a nother thread. does a MSD work with a dura spark their site does not show a schematic for the duraspark. A friend of mine gave me a msd-5 years ago and I was thinking about putting it in my car.

1961 falcon with a 144ci stock and block bored to allow a durasparkII

Iceman,The Msd box will work with a Dura-spark distributor but you DO NOT need it with a DUI distributor.

realize that the DUI system parade is well under way, led by very enthusiastic cheer leaders, but- for the record-

I need a cheerleader smilie! :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyone know how to hook one up to a MSD box? I have deep pockets and am always trying to gain a couple of extra horsies.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Later,

Doug

Doug,

They can be hooked up to a MSD, but there is really no reason to do so. The only way to do it, is with a crank triger, so its a pain in the arse. But it can be done. I guess the only reason one would want to is if you are using injection. There is an article on this in the August issue of Hot Rod.

Just run the DUI as a stand alone, and see how it compares to the DS/MSD system. I think you will be surprised. Common sense says it shouldn't make any difference, but it does. ;)

Could you hide a little nitrous vessel in the MSD casing? Then use that split convoluted tubing to cover the "wires" back to the dizzy, and feed the nitrous into the vacuum line. Just an out there idea...

OK Doug, here's how it's done. :p Buy the DUI, pull the DUI parts out of it and buy some MSD parts to put in it. MSD offers a coil and module for the GM type HEI. It won't make any more power but it will satisfy the need to spend money and it will get you some MSD stickers. :p

PSSST! Between you and me the HP is stored in the stickers. :LOL:

The DUI vs DURASPARK II comparsion could go on forever.

The DUI is a fantastic unit, it is brand new as far as shaft & bearings in the housing as compared to the duraspark which is a rebuild from very well used componets.

The DUI will fire fouled spark plugs & the key + is the advance curve, which is custom tailored to your engine.

The duraspark with the msd is a great combination, & if the advance curve is right on the performance would be very close.

The duraspark when you purchase it from your parts store is a poor compromise of the proper advance needed for the best performance, heavy springs & improper total mechanical advance & the necessary vacuum advance all add to its poor performance.

Only a dyno with equal advance curves in each distributor would tell the difference.

The main plus of the DUI is its new, easier to set the advance curve & is a one wire deal plus the tach wire.

Plus you get a new distributor gear, not a glass beaded gear that you get with the duraspark & i'm sure there is a lower bearing in the housing of the DUI where the duraspark only has a top bushing & relies on the lower shaft hole in the block for stability.

All I can say is the DUI in one of my vehicle's rocks. William

Back