Duraspark II distributor on 223

Tricks56

Can anyone tell me how to do a duraspark II conversion on my 223? How does it compare to the Pertronix ignition? What should I look for? What should I buy? What years work? Do I have to change the carb? Will the vacuum advance work with the original carb? Do I have to modify the distributor in anyway? Is there a difference in fuel economy? I've seen a few posts about this topic but I want to know more. Some pictures would be nice too.

Can anyone tell me how to do a duraspark II conversion on my 223? How does it compare to the Pertronix ignition? What should I look for? What should I buy? What years work? Do I have to change the carb? Will the vacuum advance work with the original carb? Do I have to modify the distributor in anyway? Is there a difference in fuel economy? I've seen a few posts about this topic but I want to know more. Some pictures would be nice too.

Not a drop in job but almost, you will need a 1975 to about 1984 300 distributor to do this mod, have not started doing one for my 223 yet but have done a few swaps in early 300’s. If you are up for all the work it's a much better distributor than you would have using a Pertronix in the Load O Matic because the later 300 distributor's has a better Duel advance system than the stock early one. From a 1975 to 1982-3 will work get complete system i.e. coil, control box, wiring harness. Vacuum advance will not work with the original carb it can be changed to later model unit or you will need to mod yours so the spark control is blocked off. You will need to compare to your old distributor for the possible mods you will need to swap the old distributor drive gear onto DSII and match it's position to that of the old 223 distributor's Drive Gear Location. The 300 distributor body is the same and fit's into the short block hole. Fuel economy should improve power is better and will be smother running.

I did this last year and have been driving it all summer in a 55 Ford. I picked up a 300 distributor on EBay and a gear I was planning on reaming to fit the Distributor shaft but the gear I got did't need reaming, it fit perfectly (I've heard there are some gears that will work this way). I got a new oil pump shaft and milled it down on one end to fit the oil pump and it all fit in the block just fine, (I had to shorten the new pump shaft, I don't remember if I did anything to the distributor shaft, just make sure everything is the same lenght and lines up right) then I hooked it up to a module like I've read about (the blue tabed one) which ran fine but I also tried the GM HEI module and it works good too. (I had a bit of a rough spot at low rpm but think it was a carb adjustment). My carb is a holley 1904 with no spark control valve and I hooked the vacuum line up just like on the old setup and it runs great. I didn't notice any change in gas mileage one way or the other. I rebult the engine a couple years ago and everything is/was in good shape, it ran fine but I wanted to get away from the points setup. I was hopeing for a little power gain but don't notice any difference. I did a GM HEI swap on a 1959 Jeep 226 and did notice more output or at least some changed in more get up and go but not with this swap, still... it does work good.

Brad

Tricks56":sl30hsg2 said:
Do you know what year model of distributor you picked up?

All the duraspark distibtors that have a vacuume adavance funtion the same. 1975-1982?
As long as it has a vacuume advance and it does not have point its the one you want.

I don't know the year but like 80broncoman said I think that's all you need. It's pretty easy really, I think screwing around with the pump drive shaft was the biggest deal, make sure it fits the pump and is the right lenght. Once it's in you just wire it up, you will need different plug wires since the ends on the new distributor are different than the old ones. I just bought a set of V8 ones and it gave me extra and more variety for lenght.

Brad

BradW":qyaq77fs said:
I don't know the year but like 80broncoman said I think that's all you need. It's pretty easy really, I think screwing around with the pump drive shaft was the biggest deal, make sure it fits the pump and is the right lenght. Once it's in you just wire it up, you will need different plug wires since the ends on the new distributor are different than the old ones. I just bought a set of V8 ones and it gave me extra and more variety for lenght.

Brad

IIRC the first couple of years used the same cap and rotor as the older points distbuors from when ever up to 74??
After that the distbutor body is the sam as the 75 model on it just uses a different cap and rotor.

Back