Duraspark II - MSD wiring questions

jalberg

I have put the new coil in place after attaching the wires according to the wiring diagram I downloaded from MSD. That is, the red wire (that goes with the unused white wire) is plugged into the harness. The positive and negative wires are directly on the poles and the harness is over them. So now I have two main questions.
1) The diagram simply shows the wires from the harness going off into space. Of the wires I took off the previous coil one went to the distributor and the others came from some place. Both of them are now unconnected. The one to the distributor will disappear with the old distributor. Do I connect the remain one to the C + wire coming out of the coil harness? What do I do with the one coming out of the TACH side of the harness?

2) The diagram says the heavy red and heavy black to the battery. Do they mean that literally? Do I extend the wires (they won't reach) and connect these directly to the two terminals.

If these questions have already been answered I apologize, but after looking at the posts I am still stumped.

Thanks for your help.

) The diagram simply shows the wires from the harness going off into space. Of the wires I took off the previous coil one went to the distributor and the others came from some place. Both of them are now unconnected. The one to the distributor will disappear with the old distributor. Do I connect the remain one to the C + wire coming out of the coil harness? What do I do with the one coming out of the TACH side of the harness?

The Duraspark adapter harness plugs into the DSII distributor, so the plug from the distributor doesn't really hang off into space like it shows in the diagram. As far as your existing wiring, the small red MSD wire will plug into the car's hot (+/C+) wire that went to your old coil, the neg (or Tach) wire that went to your old coil can be attached to the tach terminal on the side of your MSD box (or tach adapter if necessary, see the MSD tach compatability charts for details). That should take care of all your existing wiring. I also chose to remove the wires from the Ford horshoe coil connector and feed the orange and black wires from the MSD into it so they could snap on and make a clean OEM looking connection.

2) The diagram says the heavy red and heavy black to the battery. Do they mean that literally? Do I extend the wires (they won't reach) and connect these directly to the two terminals.

I shortened the heavy black wire and attached it to a good nearby ground, but I did extend the heavy red wire and run it to the battery (actually attached it at the hot side of the starter solenoid, directly off the battery). I used an even heavier gauge wire when extending the red wire.

Back