ED engine into XF on straight LPG???

A

Anonymous

If i put an E series engine into an XF and run straight gas will i need to keep all of the wiring and sensors and computer etc etc.
I imagine i wouldnt so this would eliminate all the hassles of putting a newer OHC engine into an XF.
I figure (but im no expert or even very learned) wouldnt all i need be the complete engine and manifold coupled with a gas carby and all the gas equipment necessary. Would i still need to use the sensors and computer if the injectors werent running?
I had a look at Dad's dual fuel EA and it appears that the gas system doesnt require to be tied in with the factory wiring/sensors and computer.
The car will definately be manual and using the newer 5 speed gearbox that was with the newer motor so no auto computer required.
If this is easy as i think it is (it probably isnt) then i would prefer to use this engine and gearbox for general smoothness more power potential and more general engine strength when i turbo.
I dont think ill be able to operate the dual runner manifold without the computer so ill most likely use an ED motor and 'box. Is the dizzy computer controlled in the ED?

Am i right in thinking that i dont need to install the difficult wiring loom and hence computer or am i living in fairy land? Feel free to shoot down my theory and point out the bleeding obvious if ive overlooked something.

Thanks
Dan

Ok I work on taxi for a living, thyre all LPG and all ef/el falcons.
the dual tract intake isnt coltrolled by the ECU its vacuum held closed and opens when the vacuum drops.
However the ignition is controlled by the ECU, but Id say you can use the electronic dizzy from the XE to make the fine go.
The only thing might bhe clearance under the manifold, not having tried this I cant be sure it will clear, but theres a good chance.
The sump is also different, but again the earlier one might fit.
The mounting pads on the EA/EB I feel will allow the xe isolators to bolt on, so in reality it should be fairly easy.
Use a GRA mixer which bolts straight onto the EFI manifold, with a OMVL convertor or similar. Get the ignition curve set up for LPG, select pistons to get around 9,7:1 comp, and dont be tempted to ditch the exhaust manifold, as they work very well.
A7M

That was great info.
Im pretty sure the engine will physically drop straight in if i use XG or XH engine mounts. (The XF ute with the 4 litre)

What are the XE isolators?
Would a carby XF dizzy fit as well?

Also what is an OMVL convertor?

Sorry about the dumb questions.
Thanks
Dan

Im pretty sure the engine will physically drop straight in if i use XG or XH engine mounts. (The XF ute with the 4 litre)
GOING IN IS OBVIUOSLY NOT THE PROBLEM, AND I DONT THINK YOU NEED THE XG MOUNTINGS, XE SHOULD FIT ONTO THE OHC BLOCK PROVIDED ITS EB.
What are the XE isolators? RUBBER MOUNTINGS
Would a carby XF dizzy fit as well?
YES, ALL THE SAME AS FAR AS I KNOW EXCEPT ADVANCE CURVE WHICH YOULL HAVE TO ALTER ANYWAY.
Also what is an OMVL convertor?
ITALIAN BRAND, VERY NICE IF A LITTLE EXPENSIVE.

Last time I looked an OHC distrubitopr would fit a crossflow block and vice versa. I was going to use the late EFI distributor with crank angle pickup in the crossflow block for my aftermarket EFI.

I think from meomory you had to swap the gears over on the drive shaft. One was different to the other.

This is a matter of punching out the roll pin and swapping them over. Worst case might require you to drill a new pin hole to get the gear in the right place. No big deal though.

The XF carby model still had a computer comtrolling the ditributor. It was like a miniature EECIV module thing. They are not a bad setup but it would be easier to get a normal electronic dizzy which just has the six pointed rotor and stator inside it. I think XE falcon would be what you want for them.

The other thing mention was the dual length runner manifold. This is computer controlled on the EFI cars. The actual butterfly is moved by a diaphram using vacuum but the computer switches a vacuum solenoid valve (VSV) at the right rpm around 3700 rpm.

If you just let it switch by vacuum naturally it will not switch at the right time and it will be slow to operate unless you are absolutely flat to the boards with no manifold vacuum at all. Also if you are flat out at say 1500 rpm it will switch to the short runner and that is way too early.

Even ford switch it at 3700rpm which is too early. A standard XR6 engine shows a dip in the torque curve just after 3700rpm. which picks up again at a round 4000rpm. moving this switch point up to 4000 rpm gets rid of the dip in torque.

Mark, on the el/ef s I work on there is no switch the throttles move when the vacuum drops as you give the thing the big rev without load, this seems to work just fine with the LPG, Ive even thought of keeping the short passage open all the time, LPG needs more manifold space.
A7M

The XF carby model still had a computer comtrolling the ditributor. It was like a miniature EECIV module thing. They are not a bad setup but it would be easier to get a normal electronic dizzy which just has the six pointed rotor and stator inside it. I think XE falcon would be what you want for them.

The XF carby leaded petrol engines also had the normal electronic dist.
The computer control ignition on carby models started Jan 1986 with ULP

Back