engine paint

A

Anonymous

what paint to use for painting the engine ? block and head ? do i realy need a heat resistend paint ore will a 2k paint wil do the job ? how about powdercoating them ? how about powdercoating the block and leaving the pistons, crank and the rest of the stuf in it ? wil it hurd when it wil be go trough a oven with a heat of 170 graden ??? wil it effect some parts ?

give me some advis for how to paint a engine !!!

If the paint isnt heat resistant, most likely it will probably flake off the head casue of the amount of heat the head conducts. Powerdercoating might keep the engine from expelling heat as well as standard heat resistant paint. I used that ceramic high hea paint on mine and it seems to work fine. Except the head is flaking the paint off a bit.

Down here with the high temperatures in summer, where metal out in the sun can get hot enough to fry eggs on, "exterior house gloss" is plenty good enough for engines(not internally).
Dont know about your stuff, but its probably fairly good.
A7M

the thing you have to remeber about powdercoating is that it has to be sandblasted before it gets coated. i wouldnt leave everything in the block if i was you. ;)

Except for the area around the exhaust ports, the engine is generally no hotter than the coolant, roughly 200F or 95C. I use cans of Krylon engine enamel and have had no significant durability problems as long as the engine was properly cleaned first.

If color choice is not too important, Rust-O-Leum makes something called Appliance Epoxy that works very well and has an extremly high gloss. I use it on a lot of things, esp the black

I have tried lacquer to color match an engine and it did not work well at all. chipped and was not very reistant to fluids.

I'll vote for 2K on anything other than a concours restoration. Three light coats, and it's much more solvent proof than uncured enamel, and easier to apply than powdercoat.

MustangSix":1eokropo said:
Except for the area around the exhaust ports, the engine is generally no hotter than the coolant, roughly 200F or 95C. I use cans of Krylon engine enamel ....

I did a very thorough prep job before using Krylon on the Chevy I did. It worked great, with some very slight peeling at the exhaust ports after a year of daily driving. Otherwise the Krylon was quite durable (had the motor for years), but bright colors are susceptible to staining from antifreeze. A Prestone leak put yellow streaks in the Chevy orange :unsure:

MustangSix":262pmjpo said:
Except for the area around the exhaust ports, the engine is generally no hotter than the coolant, roughly 200F or 95C. I use cans of Krylon engine enamel and have had no significant durability problems as long as the engine was properly cleaned first.

If color choice is not too important, Rust-O-Leum makes something called Appliance Epoxy that works very well and has an extremly high gloss. I use it on a lot of things, esp the black

I have tried lacquer to color match an engine and it did not work well at all. chipped and was not very reistant to fluids.

Yup. Not had alot of experience with I6's but on 289's and 302's and the Pinto 4 banger if you clean the surface well a regular can of engine enamel works fine and is long lasting. And I think Krylon is just about bulletproof. That stuff seems to last forever.

Back