ford CFI ran off duraspark dizzy?

now since all I need to run a EFI setup is a proper timing signal (IE square wave) SO if I took a duraspark dizzy and locked out the timing and hooked that up to the EEC4 for a CFI setup it should run right? the ECU would be firing the coil then and controling all timing. as far as the pulse timing being correct that is not as critical on a CFI setup since it all goes to every cylinder anyway? so am I WAY off the wall here? once I get my 350 running I was thinking about playing with a CFI setup. I konw I could hook it up to a durapsark as is bout would just get extra timing but should be enough to tell me if it is going to work out.

No, it won't.

Duraspark uses an analog "hall effect" trigger, the TFI distributor uses a digital PIP signal. The EEC box for the CFI won't recognize the hall effect signal from the DS. You would have to have a machinist combine the TFI distributor guts with a Duraspark or points distributor case.

You could try a 4 pin GM HEI unit, this will change the analog sine wave into a digital square wave.

The problem with that is, one "window" in the rotor of a TFI distributor is larger than the other 5. The computer uses that window to tell which cylinder is number one.

Well, on the sequential injection engine that is. If it is throttle body, I don't know. Guess i'll have to go in my garage and look at it.

I haven't had a TFI setup in a few years but how tough would it be to take a shaft out of a points or duraspark dizzy and put it in a aussie EEC4 body? worst case I see is having to mess with the bearings in it and maybe turn a section down on the end for the hall effect

I think it would be an easy task for pretty much any machinist to make something work.

What about using breaker points? All you need is a signal to trigger the module and points act like a digital signal. Of course you may have to replace them every 100,000 miles or so :roll:
Joe

Lazy JW":3og71yth said:
points act like a digital signal.

Not even close. Their movement may look digital to your eyes, but to a computer their action isn't even remotely close.

Back