Front 3 cyl. running cold and rich?

nastyf150

I just put in the duraspark 2 ignition in my modified 300. I have duals run out of my headers and went to the rear to check the exhaust fumes. I had the both pipes run out behind the pass. rear tire, so I had the advantage of checking the one against the other. I notice the front pipe was releasing hot exhaust and the rear pipe was issueing forth cool and rich exhaust.

I though maybe i had some rockers on the first three out of adj. I took off my rocker cover and checked them, they were fine. I tried adjusting my Edelbrock carb to get the fumes down on the back pipe. Didn't help. I thought it might be spark, so I pulled #1 wire. I didn't notice much of a change? THen I pulled #2 after putting 1 back on. Then I pulled 3 after putting 2 back on. Still not noticing a remarkable difference at idle.

I eventually had 1,2,3 all pulled of there respective plugs. It would not accelerate when I hit the throttle, but it did not shake too bad from having the plug wires off. I put the plug wires back on and cannot notice any miss or weakness in throttle response or drivablility. Look at my signature--this truck is bad 8) I am during my break in period and am loosing patience. It begs to be flogged! :eek: But I am worried about these symptoms at idle.

I drove the truck about 10 mi. and then stopped to check the exhaust--both were hot and no considerable difference in the gas smell at the tale pipe.

I have the open plenum C-class offy and a open 2" riser to help my throttle linkage clear the manifold. Since there is no dual plenum-why are the first 3 cyl running richer at idle? Could the first three not be firing at idle or firing weaker? Could I have made a error in wiring up the Duraspark 2 ignition to my 85 TFI harness? Could my duraspark ignition control module be bad, I got it off my 81 bc it was a blue relief and the one I bought at Oreilly's was a yellow?

Remember--It runs great and pulls haaaaard through the gears, but idling for long periods makes the front 3 fumy.

Jeff

Since you have an open plenum manifold I suspect that what looks like rich plugs is an ignition problem and you are not lighting those three cylinders.

An ignition problem affecting 1-2-3 would occur on every other firing event, so it's not something banked together on the distributor.

I think the first thing to check would be to make sure you have the plug wires in the proper 1-5-3-6-2-4 order. If 4-5-6 were correct, but 1-2-3 (3-1-2, for example) were wrong, you could get that kind of symptom.

THere is no miss during acceleration or cruise that i can notice--if the wires were wrong (and i did switch them just to hear the backfire) then bkfiring would happen.

Let me restate--it pulls really, really hard during acceleration! Just gasy on 1,2,3 on idle. I have narrowed it down in my mind to 2 things: 1) The Edelbrock is overloading at idle and the richer fuel mix makes the exh. gases cooler or 2)the ignition system is weak on 123 during idle for some reason.

I remember a thread a while back about a bad batch of dist caps.
One way to check the cap is to pull the dizzy out and install it 180 degrees out. Then rewire the cap for proper order. Then see if the problem goes to the other cylinders.

I am back from W.Tx via San Antonio und das Schlitterbahn!!! Wowza! :p :p I found out what my problem was--there was a vacuum leak on the long nipple off of my old stock intake.

Das Offenhauser intake has the port below the carb and i just took off the original nipple und filled the hole. I didn't notice the two little vacuum ports pointing down toward the headers. Plugged them, now it is a smooth idle, no black smoke, and it now is the scurge of the South!!

Thanks guys,
Nasty

Hey Geez,

I know it my be too far, but I will be shooting the city of Gulfport and Ocean Springs, MS the 3rd and 4th of July. When you look into the Gulf for your fireworks display, look to the right.

Sometimes you have to let the combustion out of the cylinder--right into the sky!! I hope to keep my 300ci blowin' up inside but let the pyro into the air :D

I work the 3rd and 5th, haven't had the 4th off in years!! We have a burn ban here so if I want fireworks, haveta go to the beach.

Back