Gas Mileage???

Inline6Merc

I was wondering what mpg numbers you all were receiving with your aluminum head setups? My setup is not getting great mileage but on the other hand I have a lot of performance parts. I was wondering how it compared to others setups that are similar to mine.

-Curtis

Two things that I see in your signature is a C4 automatic and 3.50 gears.

Automatics of this vintage are not known for great mileage.
That's why they came with 2.80-3.20 gearing maximum, not 3.50s unless it was in the Rancheros.

Mike's dyno testing with Pony carbs indicated that our sixes like smaller primaries, 1.00 to 1.02.
Your Autolite is the 480CFM which have the 1.02 primaries. What jetting are you running?

Just my $0.02.

Howdy Back Curtis:

What kind of mileage are you getting? Are you using an aluminun head? What kind of driving are you doing?

Adios, David

Rocklord, I'm not sure about the jet sizes. The carb came form pony carburetors. I took the top of the carb awhile back and can't recall the jet sizes. I want to say the primaries were in the 40's and the secondary's in the 60's. But that is not definite.

CZLN6, Im getting between 13 and 14mpg's city/highway with the aluminum head. That's driving it fairly nicely. I might get on it once or twice to get on the freeway but other than that, nothing much more.

I'm wondering if the transmission, torque converter, and gears are ultimately killing my millage....Maybe a T5 swap is going on the to do list :LOL:

-Curtis

Today, I found a vacuum leak between the head and intake manifold. It seems to be leaking between ports 3 and 4. All get that fixed and see how much my mpg increase.

-Curtis

My gas mileage doubled with my T5 conversion. My almost entirely stock '63 170 went from about 12mpg with the factory 2sp AT to an honest 25mpg around town with the V8-T5. I retained the 3.20 gear 7.25" rearend. http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=58031

My Mustang realized a increase in mpg as well when I swapped from the 3-sp FMX (about 15mpg) to the 4-sp Top-loader (22mpg). This is running the 3.00 gear 9".

So, seconding Rocklord, most any manual transmission will do you better than the automatics of time.

Yea, there is room for improvement. Compare your build to mine in my sig line. You have a lot lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle. I agree, your 3:50 gears are hurting you. I'm tickled with 18mpg and my setup.

Kelly's Falcon gets around 5.5 mpg on the street! :shock:

That's running E85 too.
It burns a little over a gallon per quartermile pass.

I know that we're not a good comparison to anybody else, but I thought I'd just post up for some fun!

Later,
Will

So it turned out I had a vacuum leak at the intake. I was getting 14" of vacuum at idle; so I went ahead and cut new gaskets and now I'm pulling 17.5" of mercury. It seems as though when I back the idle screw all the way out on the carb, the engine still runs. Any ideas why that is? With the screw all the way out, it idles at about 900-1000rpms. I'm gonna have to top her tank off and see what kind of new mpg numbers I can achieve now.

-Curtis

Back