All Small Six Happy RPM

This relates to all small sixes

Little 200

I have early 67 200 with stock block all internals . Have a 32/36 progressive Weber 2 bbl / electronic distributor with 60,000 volt coil with 8 mm wires / headers and 2-1/4 exhaust . What is a happy rpm this can run on highway ? Haven't had a six in a lot of years just don't want to kill it . Thanks for your time !

I have almost the exact same setup. Pedal to the metal for me is around 75mph on a 2.73 rear end, which is in the 3.3k rpm IIRC.
3k ish is my happy place. vibrations calm down and she's not stressed. it's been a couple years since i hit the highway tho... i may be mis-remembering those numbers...
Last drive was LA-Napa... very pleasant, back in 2019

That is what I wondered does the 200 do around 2800 to 3000 without straining. Changing rear gear but didn't want to oversee it .

Hi, I have a two barrel on a warmed up 200. She pulls smoothly to 4,500 RPMs, maybe a little higher. I know guys here will wind it up more than that but not me. With 3.50 : 1 gears and 31" tires my Bronco turns 2,900 RPMs at 70 MPH. Your power band and peak RPM has a lot to do with your choice of a camshaft. Good luck

B Ron's got it: drive train ratio - tire diamiter, rear gear, transmis (x-fer if 4 WD). There's on-line 'gear caculators' to do it w/math if U want...
3.3/200 run higher revs than mine (stroked @ factory as a 250/4,1). Some up to 5 & even 7K...
What kinda driving do U do? The caculator helps show 'power" v av v "MPGs" & U can play not pay to figure. We guage want by 80% of our driving RPMs on normal days. Again: what do U want? power (track)? MPGs (DD)? average? As a bronk driver I go 'average" plus a lill toward power...HTH~

Last edited:
My 200 runs at 2200 rpm at 70mph. This is with a 3.73 ratio diff, .68 overdrive from the t5, and a 25 inch tire.(205/60/15). Mine is happy to go 80-85.

I think that you would find it difficult to hurt a 200 with RPM.
If it is in good condition, it will run out of breath well before RPM.

Back