Head swap help needed

Just rechecked the RPM's and I was at 1800. I was wrong, I must have not lowered the idle all the way when I was messing with the engine as I am now able to lower it to about 900 rpm, which sounds right by your figures. I imagine the cam is stock
The carb swap included a new power valve and the Jet's are the same, so I am inclined to believe that I am in the normal range now.
It is shifting better.
Still have yet to take it out for a spin, but maybe today if all goes well.

:wow: yes at 1800 rpm the carb was completely by passing the idle circuit so the mixture screws had no effect. Yes also that trans would shift really hard at that high of an RPM and probably would start breaking some other drive line parts in short order.

:beer: Congrats your are now in the ball park on the engine tune. What did you end up setting your base timing at? With a stock cam then I would probably start at 10 to 12 degrees base timing, then set the screw for your curb idle speed (the one that controls the throttle blade opening) so it idle's at about 750 to 800 in neutral. Next adjust each of the Idle mixture screws to get your lean best idle, then reset the curb idle back to the 750 to 800 range. That should get you very close on a usable tune, then take it for a spin and see how it dose and fine tune it from there. Good luck (y)

Everything seems to be going well. I do have some liquid on my intake bolts and suspect that I need to seal the head gasket again. The gasket I used previously was supplied by the previous owner, so it was a bit suspect. I ordered a Vic reinz set and am hoping to do this over the weekend.

Which bolts are wet holes? Is it the front two?

I am going to thread some temporary studs first. Should I use dressing on the gasket.

Yes the front head bolts are wet on exhaust side front is also close to the water pump impeller so make sure it doesn't hit and damage the water pumps impeller or keep it from turning. You could try re torquing the head bolts after the engine is warmed up good. I have not used a Victor head Gasket lately mostly I been only using the Felpro Perma Torque PrintoSeal and you don't use any sealer on them. I suspect that the Victors are the same type of gasket. You can check their recommendations at their Web Site or ask Bill (wsa111) he uses the Victors.

:unsure: So how you doing on the repairs and tuning any updates yet? :nod:

Back