Header flanges for US Crossflow owners

'68falconohio

Well-known member


OK, I learned my lesson on posting something before I had it ready, but here's a test piece. I burnt this out of 3/16" CS to confirm hole location and fitment to the head. The port holes are 1.530"(good to slip 1.5" tubing through) and the bolt holes are .410-.420". There will be a little bit of taper to the bolt holes when cut in 3/8" but I will ream them with a .420" bit before they ship. The flanges will be 3/8" CS, I will check on SS if anyone is interested. I will have more pics of finished flanges soon, along with a price per flange. I'm going to move two of the bolt holes .010-.020". The test piece bolted up fine, but they'll be better if I move 'em just a smidge.

The top strip is something we added to help keep the flanges from moving while welding. I can zip these off with a cut-off wheel if you do not want them, but I plan to take advantage of them and leave them there when I make my headers. The tabs that connect them are only about an 1/8" wide. Even though the top strip is there, I would still attach the flange to the head or another suitable working fixture when welding/fitting the headers.

Also, I have a .dxf now for the intake side. I havn't done anything yet to confirm its fitment or set a dimension for the diameter of the port holes yet. But if folks are interested, we can get a batch of them cut too. (This willl take me a little time, I'm very busy with school right now)

A BIG thanks to CNC-Dude for helping me get the flanges re-drawn. After I lost the initial drawing, he was a big help in getting the flange re-drafted. (y)
 

CNC-Dude

1K+
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
'68falconohio":3cx9lyve said:


A BIG thanks to CNC-Dude for helping me get the flanges re-drawn. After I lost the initial drawing, he was a big help in getting the flange re-drafted. (y)


Stephen, I just hated to see you being so close to having something with that much potential, and then having your files lost like that. Im glad I was able to give you a hand to get back to this point! I hope they do well for you. Thanks.
 

gravelrash

Well-known member
i can buy the header plates off the shelf down here. if you get the numbers up i could prob send over a few to you guys.
 

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Two things to consider when purchasing from OZ, shipping cost and exchange rate.

1. Shipping could cost as much as the purchase price.

2. Exchange rate between Australia and the US favors the Aussies now:
What use to be $1.00US=$1.20AU is now $1.00US=$0.98AU.
 
hell I am down for a couple sets!!

was gonna make up a shorty NA header maybe and then a turbo header or two.

I am looking for an intake flage for the stock EFI boss section. I have a spare I can take a rubbing from and send you.
 

6cylfever

New member
I just got a 250 crossflow and would be interested in a header flange. Are you using hot roll or cold roll steel. Will it have enough meat around port holes to enlarge? Are you concidering a intake flange? The injection set up on my engine may not clear the hood and I might have to make my own intake.
 

'68falconohio

Well-known member
The mild steel I'm using is Hot Rolled, Pickled and Oiled. Stainless steel(304SS) is also an option if anyone wants it. I know you guys want to know a price per flange and I do too... I'm still waiting on the cutting house to give me a price per piece. I have a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss other work(employment), they should have it for me then. Once they give me a price, I'll give everyone a little bit of time to decide whether or not they want a flange and how many before I get a batch cut. I intend to cut 2-3 extras for crossflow guys that come about in the future. They are swamped right now with work but promised to work me in.

Intakes are definitely an option if anyone is interested. What I need from the folks wanting intake flanges are:

1) A rubbing or drawing for the injector scallops(dimension and location reqd). The head that CNC-Dude cnc'd for me was a carby head; there were no scallops and I don't own an EFI head to look at/check fitment with. If anyone has .dxf of the EFI head that they're willing to donate to the cause that would be just as good, if not better. I'd like someone with an EFI head to confirm that the flange I cut fits the head properly before I cut a batch. Rather than make everyone port the flange a bit to make it right, I'd rather it lined up correctly from the go. (XFlow', PM me if you can do the rubbing and I'll give you an addy to mail it to.)

2) What diameter do you want the port hole to be? I havn't had the time to check what standard tubing size is offered/what would be best. I would prefer to make the flange suit a non-ported head and the end-user would be required to port it for larger sized tubing if porting has been done. I think that makes the most sense for everyone.

3) Spec carby or EFI. I doubt the Carby guys want the scallops cut out in the flange and vice versa.

6cylfever, how much meat do you need around the port? Intake and exhaust? I don't have the revised .dxf in front of me right now or the sample flange we cut. The cutting house has my crossflow head and the demo flange. Some punk has my laptop that was stolen a few weeks ago with the majority of my work on it so I can't check. IIRC, there's at least 3/8" addl. radius around the ports, if not more. I will check on that and report back, if more is needed to satisfy everyone's setup it can be done, I just gotta know what everyone needs.

School isn't taking up any of my time anymore so I have a lot of free time right now...I may be leaving for some pipeline work soon though.

-Stephen
 

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
6cylfever":25mernki said:
I just got a 250 crossflow and would be interested in a header flange........ The injection set up on my engine may not clear the hood and I might have to make my own intake.

What vehicle are you planning on installing the crossflow in? If it's a Mustang, you shouldn't have any problem. MustangSix installed one in his 66 and had hood clearance to spare.

Check it out here: http://www.fordsix.com/XFswap.php
 

CNC-Dude

1K+
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
6cylfever":3t8w0hwc said:
I just got a 250 crossflow and would be interested in a header flange. Are you using hot roll or cold roll steel. Will it have enough meat around port holes to enlarge? Are you concidering a intake flange? The injection set up on my engine may not clear the hood and I might have to make my own intake.
What size header are you considering. I looked back at my original file drawing, and these flanges can easily accomodate up to 1-5/8" tubing if you need to go that large. If you need larger than that, I can modify the drawing to fit whatever size you need, and give it to Stephen so he can cut them for you.
 

6cylfever

New member
'68falconohio":2ebkna8w said:
The mild steel I'm using is Hot Rolled, Pickled and Oiled. Stainless steel(304SS) is also an option if anyone wants it. I know you guys want to know a price per flange and I do too... I'm still waiting on the cutting house to give me a price per piece. I have a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss other work(employment), they should have it for me then. Once they give me a price, I'll give everyone a little bit of time to decide whether or not they want a flange and how many before I get a batch cut. I intend to cut 2-3 extras for crossflow guys that come about in the future. They are swamped right now with work but promised to work me in.

Intakes are definitely an option if anyone is interested. What I need from the folks wanting intake flanges are:

1) A rubbing or drawing for the injector scallops(dimension and location reqd). The head that CNC-Dude cnc'd for me was a carby head; there were no scallops and I don't own an EFI head to look at/check fitment with. If anyone has .dxf of the EFI head that they're willing to donate to the cause that would be just as good, if not better. I'd like someone with an EFI head to confirm that the flange I cut fits the head properly before I cut a batch. Rather than make everyone port the flange a bit to make it right, I'd rather it lined up correctly from the go. (XFlow', PM me if you can do the rubbing and I'll give you an addy to mail it to.)

2) What diameter do you want the port hole to be? I havn't had the time to check what standard tubing size is offered/what would be best. I would prefer to make the flange suit a non-ported head and the end-user would be required to port it for larger sized tubing if porting has been done. I think that makes the most sense for everyone.

3) Spec carby or EFI. I doubt the Carby guys want the scallops cut out in the flange and vice versa.

6cylfever, how much meat do you need around the port? Intake and exhaust? I don't have the revised .dxf in front of me right now or the sample flange we cut. The cutting house has my crossflow head and the demo flange. Some punk has my laptop that was stolen a few weeks ago with the majority of my work on it so I can't check. IIRC, there's at least 3/8" addl. radius around the ports, if not more. I will check on that and report back, if more is needed to satisfy everyone's setup it can be done, I just gotta know what everyone needs.

School isn't taking up any of my time anymore so I have a lot of free time right now...I may be leaving for some pipeline work soon though.

-Stephen
Stephen I haven't torn down my engine yet. The exhaust ports don't look very big. I see your from Ohio, I'm asnowbird in AZ right now but will be back in Mich in two weeks. I'll tear down the engine there and get back with you than Marv
 
found a local driveline shop that builds rides on the side. I dropped off my V8 S10 driveshaft to get shortened and will be talking to them when I pick it up to see if they cna cut me some SS 3/8" flanges for my header. I am going to have them cut for 1-5/8" tube (minor opening up will be needed for weld el's) I have a lead on a shop in Nashville that can do them but will be a little costly since I don't have a CAD file of these (no CAD at work....go figure) I am hoping to have something lined out by the end of the month on these.

I will update when I find someone who can supply these and with pricing. When I do have some cut I will mostly likely have an initial run done of half a dozen sets.
 

CNC-Dude

1K+
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
I got pricing in the neighborhood of $60.00 each for the 3/8" mild steel header flanges I drew up for Stephen for this Crossflow project. That was laser cut instead of plasma. Plasma sorta' introduces issues that aren't present with laser cutting making plasma a little less desireable as an option for use in this application IMHO. I also have intake flanges drawn and can make them available if anyone is interested in making their own custom intake manifold for about the same price.
 

ozjello

New member
I know this post is old now, but wondering if anyone ended up producing the crossflow exhaust flanges?

Thanks,
Tim
 
Top