Header installation question...

SF223

I'm going to make an attempt at replacing the stock exhaust manifold on my 223 with a set of Clifford headers this weekend.

Anyone that has done this come across problematic areas?

I'm also confused about the stock intake. From looking at it on the engine, it appears that it shares a connection with the exhaust manifold directly below the carburetor. In the shop manual, it's possibly listed as the exhaust gas control valve.

Is the stock intake manifold usable or do I need to switch it out with a third party one?

Any help appreciated...

SF223":1d3hohnw said:
Anyone that has done this come across problematic areas?

Update:

The stock intake manifold does not work with the Clifford header, at least not with out major grinding.

Once I get that all sorted out, I'll put up pictures.

when I bought my '60 pickup with a someone had already installed a clifford alum. intake and a header (I don't know what kind though). After repeated exhaust leaks at the head flange I discovered that the header was welded improperly.The two center exhaust ports on my head are combined int one, while the header tubes were welded to the flange as if the ports were separate, leaving a void between them that did not sandw ch the gasket properly .I put a mig weld connecting the two header ports together, ground it to match the existing welds and have had no further sealing problems.I don't know if this is common, or if I just had a junkie header but you might want to check yours before you put it on.I also switched from hex head to button head allen bolts which alleviated wrench clearance problems.I hope this may help, and if you need an extra 223, mines for sale.

When you get it figured out i'd like to know i want to put duals on my 223.

Thanks for bringing this back up, totally forgot to update it, and I forget to take pictures of the modified manifold. :roll:

So I made some hokey drawings and I'll try to explain what's up.

The red image is a side view of the manifold middle where the carburetor sits, black circle is the cylinder of the intake running out either side.

The problem with Clifford headers (blue image) is that they come out too far from the head and hit the intake middle chamber where the carburetor mounts. So a good chunk of metal need to be ground out on the engine side. If you flip the manifold upside down, you'll see that the area that needs to be ground out is hollow. I used a metal blade on a Saws-All for the rough work, a grinder for cleaning up and a Dremel to make the new seats for the mounting bolts.

Make sure you make a good seat for the new carburetor mounting bolts. Since the studs originally terminated into the exhaust manifold, you'll either need to use a flathead bolt run up through the intake or a threaded shaft with a nut on both ends (green images).

It's not a difficult job, just a time consuming modification for a part that would best replaced with a Clifford or Offenhauser intake.

Manifold-Grind.gif

Back