Hello Again.. ( Autolite 1100 Rebuild questions, too )

Hey All,

I introduced myself about a year ago before the forum modernization, and my original post appears to have disappeared; otherwise, this would've been an add-on to the post. I am basically repairing and trying to get my 1966 Mustang Convertible more daily driver ready. I recently purchased brand new suspension, new hoses, fuel pump, starter solenoid, battery / ground cables, engine gauge harness, alternator and headlight harnesses, vacuum lines, brake lines, spindles, and getting ready for disc brake upgrade in the next couple weeks. I plan on upgrading to a DS2 set-up, and possibly upgrading the alternator. My car is all mismatched with different parts; block is from a 78 Fairlaine, exhaust manifold is from 63 Falcon, and cylinder head is from a 65 Mustang. It's matched with a manual 4 speed ( having issues identifying the transmission but it looks sort of square shaped) with a hurst competition shifter. The 3.3 straight six was rebuilt mid to late (05-08) 2000's, but I do not know to what extent. The LOM distributor based on part # was supposedly used for automatic transmission. The car has always run fairly well, but I've decided to use it as my daily driver ( because I love this Mustang and I'm 29 ) and begin to upgrade the reliability. I'm not too concerned about "originality" since everything else about the car seems to have already been changed.

Anyway, I finally have an opportunity to work on my Mustang again. I'm getting ready to rebuild the carburetor, and it's something that I'd like to tackle myself. If not, I found a reputable shop near-by that will do it but it's sort of pricey at about $350 (however, includes tuning carb and timing). I'd rather attempt to do it myself because I feel I'd enjoy it, but I've never rebuilt one.

I've been searching through the forum for any additional tips and possible guides. I want to ensure I build this correctly based on future plans. I plan on purchasing a DS2 with module/coil shortly to replace LOM distributor. I understand that I will need to plug the SCV in order to get it to work correctly. Is there a specific plug that I can purchase for this cause, or are people fabricating their own pieces? Also, some time ago, the original pipe for the hot air choke broke off; I was going to purchase a kit from Napa to fabricate a new one and flare it to fit correctly. Although, again, I want to use what's most ideal, so is it better to use the original hot air or upgrade to an electric choke? How do you also identify difference between 65-66 and 67 and up Autolite 1100's? Is it during the break down?

I plan on purchasing a rebuild kit from Vintage Inlines to support the cause :p, or locally if they're unavailable. I'm in the Garden Grove/Anaheim area in SoCal.

Here are some photos in case someone out there can identify which specific Autolite 1100 that I do have or any other observations.

IMG_4133.JPGIMG_4132.JPGIMG_4131.JPGIMG_4130.JPGIMG_4129.JPGIMG_4128.JPG

I constantly creep these forums and try to search for what I can before posting anything, but I really appreciate this community. I hope all is well.

- Richard

Hi, I would get the rebuild kit and some carb cleaner and go for it. A lot of the guys here have done it plenty of times. You did not say why you are going to have to rebuild it so I wonder why. I did my Bronco carb over 25 years ago and it is still fine. The kit comes with instructions and diagrams and if you can follow it you should be good. I would get the hot air pipe and leave that as is. I would get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook because it is a great reference. When you go to the ignition upgrade some guys use direct manifold vacuum for the distributor. Good luck

Check out Mike's Carburetors for some pretty good videos on how to do the rebuild. They're very helpful.

That is a real nice ride you have. Probably is a good idea to id your carb, not likely but you could have a carb from a 170.Rebuild it before paying 350 in my opinion. Also I think Vintage may have a new universal replacement carb for about that amount if yours is too far gone. Definitely go DSII soon it will run much better. You can get a rebuilt DSII custom curved for your vehicle from a member on here, WSA, I think is what he is called. He is a six enthusiast and will provide technical help from what I understand. Also get the Performance Manual it is a valuable resource.

WELCOME "back" !
After going to vintage inlines dot com to order the "Performance Handbook" go to the 4th horizontal line above & click on "classic inlines tech archive". U can spend alot of good time absorbing the archive while U wait for delivery of the book. These will answer the Qs U asked here.

Make sure the block (2 sources listed will assist) IS as U say to install the DS II as the shaft/gear will not fit the early block w/o enlargening. Glad you've been researchin enuff 2 C the LOM/SCV feedback system must match. But there's lots more. The search-a-thread above can instruct on converting the carb to non-SCV (so it's usable w/DSII distrib. etc) but I'd just start again w/proper post '68 one ($25 @ junk yrd). Even if they say "It's good" I'd rebuild it.

Keep talkin...

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

@Bronco - My desire to rebuild the carb is to reinforce my goal of reliability since it will be my daily driver. I don't have any knowledge of when it was last rebuilt... although the carb did run fairly well, I also noticed that the carb was leaking near the top somewhere because it would get a light coat of fuel on it. I'd also like to cosmetically make it a appear a little cleaner (y) . Thanks for the additional information, it's very helpful. I will definitely pick up a kit soon; besides the basic kit, should I be wary of any other components to replace that aren't included in the kit? I'll be picking up the Performance Handbook this weekend :beer:

@cr_bobcat - I'll definitely check out those videos. I think I came across those before on Youtube and planned on watching them to learn the process before jumping into it.

@bmbm40 - Thank you, sir. Based on everyone elses input, I feel encouraged and look forward to rebuilding my first carb. I'll be messaging WSA soon to get one of his rebuilt/recurved DS2's.

@chad - Thanks Chad. I was searching online for some local junkyards ( pick u part , car-part.com ) but could not find any carbs. Any other suggestions on where to look?

I'll keep you all updated along the way. I should be finishing my suspension installation this weekend, and ordering my disc brake set-up. I decided to do the arning/shelby drop last weekend to improve the handling geometry, so that's all ready for the new UCA to be installed now :p. Also, I've been considering using NiCopp brake lines over stainless steel, any thoughts about this? It's from my understanding that it's more pliable and rust resistant. Thinking about fabricating them myself since there's a slight change of travel with the dual master cylinder and proportioning valve ( and besides the fact my front brake lines were so rusted that I just cut them off :roll: )... and although it may take a good afternoon to complete, it sounds like fun doing it...

Cheers! :beer:

- Richard

sounds like ur makin a new car !
on the brakes - have the correct MC as even disc/drum
(as apposed 2 disc/disc) may need a lrger capacity resounoir than the 1 in it now…

"...@chad - Thanks Chad. I was searching online for some local junkyards ( pick u part , car-part.com ) but could not find any carbs. Any other suggestions on where to look?…"
I think it's "car-parts dot com"
that has been very helpful 2 me. In the NE area there R NO prts in the yards older than 10 yrs - thay send em all to the crusher.
That source asks "yr/make/model" so U may need to research ur needs (being different in those 3 paramiters) than ur own vehicle.
Also make ur inquirey in as lrg a geographic area as U can afford the shipping. The fairly well known 'scare bird' frnt disc
conversion is an example. U buy from the after mrkt typical MUSTANG prts houses they assemble an OE 'kit' 4
may B $650 while if askin us we can ID yr/make/model 4 U and it will B less than 1/2 that price...

Back