All Small Six 200 Autolite 1100 spacer

This relates to all small sixes

idealtrucks

I have a 68 mustang with a 200. I'm wanting to go back with the original Autolite 1100. I need a spacer. From looking at ones out there to buy, it seems they changed sometime in 68. What is the difference between what I'm seeing out there and my car?

All the 1960 to 1968 Ford Small Six Engine's have Log's with an 1.500 (1 1/2) Inch Carb Mounting Opening, the 1969 to 1983 have a 1.750 (1 3/4) Inch opening. Sometime over the early years Ford Changed the Carb Mounting Stud Spacing and made it wider so there are two different ones of them. Measure the Center to Center spacing of the Autolite 1100 that you will be using and match it to those Spacers that are available with the 1 1/2 Inch Hole if your engine isn't any newer than 1968 (Check your Log Head Casting / Design Numbers or measure the Carb mounting hole to know for sure. Also back in the day we used to just Slot the Carbs Mounting Base a little so they could be used on either one of those spacers. Best wishes.

So, I think I have found another snag. I took the carb off, a Carter yf, and measured the opening at 1.5 and the stud spacing seems to be 2 15/16". Started looking at casting numbers and it appears I have a 77 model. I think a 250 actually. Does this change what I'll be able to find to work? Someone had rigged up a throttle cable and id like to go back to original linkage and a 1100 so the air cleaner won't hit the hood.

As far as the later Log Heads such as your 1977 there would be no difference they use the same head on both the 250's and 200's Six's. So you will need to make your own Carb Spacer / Adapter to be able to go backwards to mounting a Auotlite 1100.

Does the Carter carb have a SCV? What model distributor is on the car? Care must be taken to use compatible parts, and who knows what's been swapped in the past. A '68 with a later engine should be okay, but you never know... If you can find an 1101 carburetor it will fit the 1.75" intake bore and looks just like an 1100.

in several ways you are headed toward a less drivable car.
Many of us use them as daily drivers and like some of the stuff you're removing.
Seeking a more oe car? Shootin for 'concourse'? Just curious, what is this going toward~

Last edited:
I was wondering the same things that Chad asked. I also have a '77 250 head on my '66. Getting rid of the 1100 and the Load-o-Matic was a huge improvement.

Not concourse for sure. Just a good driver. It just seems the the cable linkage is cobbled up with some poorly welded on brackets. The attachment to the carb linkage is "rigged" at best. It won't return to idle very well. The original air cleaner is hitting the hood when it's closed. Just like to get it working and looking nicer.
As far as running, the carter YF seems to run just fine. I've worked with the carter YF on my 240 and 300 for years in my trucks. They are good carbs.

The bore I have appears to be a 1.5". Would it work to take an original spacer, and drill out the mounting holes to make them wider? Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/1963-68-Carburetor-Fairlane-Ranchero-EBC3UZ-9A589KT/dp/B075LS7DTV
That way it would have the original linkage mounting as well.
The carter on it right now does not have an SCV. Carter YF and standard distributor.
Those early Carb Spacers do not fit on the Large Log Heads correctly and you would have a major Vacuum Leak trying to fit it on. In order to use one of them you would need to fashion up a 1/4 inch adapter plate to match the head be able to bolt on the Carb Plate the hole parts not so hard as it can be tapered to match up. Can you post some pictures of what you have. As far as the Cable Throttle Linkage that could be fixed to work right. And if you have a 250 Six in your 68 Mustang then the engine mounts probably need some adjustments to their Height so that you have the proper Hood clearance you need. The 250's can fit into the early cars but getting the engine mounting right is the first thing that needs to be done right.

Yeah, I'll get some pictures of everything this evening so we can see what we have. Just bought the car recently so I don't know the history of it. It's a T code, so I'd just assumed it was an original 200.

This is a pic of what the previous owner put on my car. It's a 250 head, and he put the stock spacer on it with an 1100 carb. Note the huge vacuum leak.

IMG_20221229_074149813.jpg

Yes indeed you have a 250 Six in there, and you also have the later Duel Advance Distributor too these work fairly good for a Point's type. For your Throttle Cable Issue you can get a replacement for a 1975 to 1977 Maverick 250 Six like in the Link below. Should be much better than that old Moded one that they used, (it even looks like its off of some different brand like a GM or?) the Ford Cables will have a built in return spring and the snap on connector to fit onto the Carb Lever Ball that should get it to work correctly.

Pioneer Accelerator Cable CA-8440​

Wow, what kind of carb spacer is on there? Looks like it might be a cut-off and plugged EGR valve version. Here’s a pic of what you probably need.

D57E02DE-C7FF-453C-8763-C4D05E7BA386.jpeg

A cable like that looks much better. Also I do think there's someting like a cut off EGR on the spacer I have. I guess I just need to get a spacer for a later model 250?
Any suggestions on what kind of throttle cable bracket? I can't seem to find anything from a google search. Seems there's no pictures of how that setup is supposed to work.

As far as I know the spacer is the same (as is the whole head) for 200/250. I think they're all as in that pic from '69 when the 1-3/4" intake bore was introduced up until the EGR system was added later in the 70s. The more knowledgeable on here may know of some exceptions.

A cable like that looks much better. Also I do think there's someting like a cut off EGR on the spacer I have. I guess I just need to get a spacer for a later model 250?
Any suggestions on what kind of throttle cable bracket? I can't seem to find anything from a google search. Seems there's no pictures of how that setup is supposed to work.
Like the above Cable a 1975 to 1977 Ford Maverick or Comet 250 Six OEM Throttle Cable Bracket will bolt right onto your engine. When I used to do these Cable Throttle Swaps into earlier model Cars and trucks I would get all the Factory parts the Gas Pedal, the Cable, the engine Bracket, even the few bolts they used. Then install them into an early model Ford it's quick and so easy it's as if they were designed for them. Your Cater YF Electric Choke Wire Plugs into the Alternators Stator, and you need to have a Hot Air Stove Pipe from the Choke Housing down to that Hole in the Exhaust Manifold where the old Tube has been broken off.

A couple other things you might want to clean up - Scrounge another exhaust manifold if you can. The crude crimp on that cut-off EGR line is a major exhaust leak waiting to happen. And the little intake manifold vacuum manifold fitting has one line I see, but it goes in a strange direction - What is it connected to, if anything? There's a couple vacuum leaks waiting to happen there.

Yes indeed X2 that's a good catch TrickSix, that Vacuum Line from the Manifold Vacuum T Fitting is going into the Fresh Air Line in the Exhaust Manifold so yes it is a Vacuum Leak. That Manifold Line should go into the base of the Factory Type Air Cleaner to draw fresh Air into that line and then into the Carb's Choke Housing. If you have an Auto Trans then you would need a Vacuum Line going to Transmission Modulator if you have a Manual Trans then that should be capped off. Other Vacuum Lines would be used for Power Brake Booster if you were to have one or another could be for a Vacuum Gauge if you wanted one. Best wishes.

Back