All Small Six Hex-Top Vs Flat-Top Large Log Heads

This relates to all small sixes
Y cant U tell the castings? Only gota pic? (not in posession?) I notice the hi rise of the log and that lill flat line B4 the begining of the passes - both help me think "M" as suggested, but no I cant read in the pic either.

That IS a good job on the '2v direct mount' (esp w/o the mill/fill/mill sequence of opperations). If it IS the 'M' head (as drag suggests) I can now C Y they advise me to use mine for such opperation (Y I saved it asside, Y I purchased what I requested [lrg log] but didnt get).

I can never tell these heads from one another by shape. For some reason "I just dont see it". Castings is more helpful for me (ie yr). After having 3 motors (1 170, 2 250) and getting a head shipped U think I'd become familiure. ATK @ 3 X the cost may B more reliable then the junk yrds. My spare head was bought'n paid for B4 shipping from a yard that now seems to not know what they had. "U got the late model large log? "Do" or "D3"? sure I was told... then I geta 1975 model in the mail. Shippin's not cheep frm N.Fla.

I can't read the casting number on this head.
It looks like the 2V conversion turned out great.
No brazing!View attachment 16367
The pedestal over cylinder #1 is a standard one, but should be the special one with the oiling outlet and the block off plate on top. I think its for extra distributor gear oiling?

If you look close at the 2V conversion photo if looks like it might have been milled then welded on one side.
If you look up Steve Aab he is a very accomplished guy who I think could afford to have that head professionally welded + cooled in a furnace.

Yes the workmanship looks top notch on that Log Head. I used to get my Model A parts Welded at a place there in the SoCal area called Cyclone Excelsior Weld great company they did the Furnas Braising and Cast Iron Welding I wonder if they are still around somewhere?

Yes the workmanship looks top notch on that Log Head. I used to get my Model A parts Welded at a place there in the SoCal area called Cyclone Excelsior Weld great company they did the Furnas Braising and Cast Iron Welding I wonder if they are still around somewhere?
I have read Facebook posts where people take their head to a local machine shop to be milled + brazed.
Many times they have commented about the head cracking.
I have also read about cracked heads being sold to people who may pay $2,000 + for a rebiult 2V conversion log head just to have to buy another one.

I have read Facebook posts where people take their head to a local machine shop to be milled + brazed.
Many times they have commented about the head cracking.
I have also read about cracked heads being sold to people who may pay $2,000 + for a rebiult 2V conversion log head just to have to buy another one.
That happens a lot here with the Aussie 2V head. I've got a few that are cracked, even though they can be repaired no one really wants them.

The pedestal over cylinder #1 is a standard one, but should be the special one with the oiling outlet and the block off plate on top. I think its for extra distributor gear oiling?
I'm not sure when the changeover date was. But yes, the early rocker arm supports had a special "oil dump" built in to the front one. Later heads have a plain pedestal the same as all the others.

Back