200ci I know this has probably been asked before. The 1966 200 CI 6 cyl is listed at 120 hp. I am thinking about replacing it with a 1979 200 CI,,,,,,but

This applies only to 200ci
Thank you 78_200_C4, that's great info in that listing showing all 4 of the small Ford Six Oil Pump numbers! So there were two of the 1/4 inch drive oil pumps too. I wonder what the difference is in those first two? All I can think is that they first started using the Hydraulic Lifters in the 1963 engines so maybe they needed to make a adjustment in the oil pump volume and or pressure at that time.

A "M65" search at Mellings brought up 4 pumps.
The search page loaded in IE Explorer which I seldom use.
M-65 Height 4.420 inches Width 4.270 inches
M-65A Height 4.390 Width 4.240 inches
M-65B Height 4.970 Width 4.240 inches
M-65-C Height 5.370 Width 4.260 inches

Interesting I haven't been using the IE Explorer for years now but have been trying to get an older computer upgraded these last few days and been having a very hard time getting it on the Internet. It has the old Explorer 9 on it and mostly gives certificate warnings on everthing. Glad to see those oil pump details though thank you for sharing them.

"...If you are using Internet Explorer, you may need to download and use MICROSOFT EDGE instead..."
blank boxes on mine. Will not pursue, tho.
EDIT
(gota macbook pro, '11, os 10.13. 6, is Y...)

Last edited:
Don't really like that new Edge and it takes lots of Resorces to use it, Explorer 11 is still supported in Windows 7 to 10. But I can't use the Explorer 11 until after I get this old Vista machine upgraded to Windows 10. I might have to just put Win 7 on it first to get past this issue of not being able to down load any of the driver software and upgrade programs to get it ready.

Don't really like that new Edge and it takes lots of Resorces to use it, Explorer 11 is still supported in Windows 7 to 10. But I can't use the Explorer 11 until after I get this old Vista machine upgraded to Windows 10. I might have to just put Win 7 on it first to get past this issue of not being able to down load any of the driver software and upgrade programs to get it ready.

I have found that Windows 10 has no problem with installing drivers on the older computers that I have. Try a blank hard drive, install Windows 10 on it. This way you can always go back to Vista on the old hard drive if you want to.

OK, Chad,,,,,,,,,,finally got those intake numbers for you. I think the numbers you want to see are: D8BE 6080 BA. Now that I have seen the difference between the two intakes by looking at the book, I can say that it is also a "flat top" intake.

So you have a minimum of a 1978 large log head, perfect 🤩 its a great head to use!

OK, Chad...the intake numbers for you. D8BE 6080 BA
"D" for "70s" (C = 60s) "8" for 1978. good on ya mate...
Glad ya got 'the book'. We call "the Handbook".
Now ck 'Tech Archive' above, blue horizontal line...

OK, Chad,,,,,,,,,,finally got those intake numbers for you. I think the numbers you want to see are: D8BE 6080 BA. Now that I have seen the difference between the two intakes by looking at the book, I can say that it is also a "flat top" intake.
I believe the flat 78 head is the best one for a 2V conversion. You may not have to braze or JB weld it.

78_log10.jpg

o0O, ugly. They need to fill (in the pic) top left corner.
Ck out Matt's. I think it is the one in tech archive, justa bout perfect.
The fill, mill, fill, mill approach too~

No fill is needed if it is layed out right ...The one in the above pic would be better if moved to the right some and away from the valve side some. There is no reason to fill it, is a waste of time. I speak from experience and have actually done these things.

Last edited:
Nice job for doing it without a mill.
I cut the Log on my 200 to accept a Weber 32/36

cuttin12.jpg

Last edited:
"...Ck out Matt's. I think it is the one in tech archive..."
near bottom of middle 1/2 of page:
note dark areas~
That head needed brazing which if not done properly can and has ruined many heads. Your local machine shop may not want to attempt to braze a cast iron head.
The 78 Fairmont could have had a D7 or a D8 head. I have both of these heads that I removed from 1978 Fairmonts. I have the D7 head on my Falcon. The D8 head is on a 65 200 block that I ran for many years. The D7 head is flatter than the D8 head. Below is a "flat" D7 head from the link I posted earlier. The head in the 2V conversion that I posted was a 78. After looking at both of my 78 heads I believe it was a D7 head.
D7 head.jpg

Last edited:
"...in tech archive, justa bout perfect...."
I'd love to see some good pic of the heads (well - logs that is) as I have the 'M', a '68 170 and a '75 250. I was hopin for some real differences. I could never see any pronounced differences - hex, flat, round. For some reason I notice more at the runners. Might never seen the E head. May B all together (I've not done that at home) could point out variation. I all ways use yr when communicating. Still like 2C a pic line up (under good lighting) of the 3 or 4 'shapes'.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is the D7 head has way smaller soft plugs in the ends of the log than the D8 head.
Instead of milling the log I would enlarge the intake bore then enlarge the bore on a Classic Inlines Weber 2-1 Adapter. A Weber 38/38 would provide 1 barrel and 1 idle mixture screw for each 3 cylinders. I read that the Weber carb low speed circuit can be tuned with jets. Many domestic carbs had a rich low speed circuit to avoid cold drivability problems. Since most of my driving is on the low speed circuit I don't want the low speed circuit rich when at operating temperature. I have found that if the air fuel mixture is tuned the exhaust note changes. It can sound like a race car accelerating. A tuned low speed circuit can increase throttle response in traffic response greatly. A stock cam 200 with a tuned low speed circuit will wind easily to 5,000 rpm at a low throttle angle. A tuned low speed circuit can make a 200 very enjoyable to drive around town. You may realize that you never had to floor it to shift a C4 into 2nd at 40+ mph or 3rd at 80 mph (3.25 gears).
Air Fuel Graph AMC BBD.JPG

Last edited:
Ford cable throttle linkage for a large log head. The kick down linkage can also be converted to cable by buying a C4 kickdown cable kit and running one end thru the firewall right below the throttle cable. I mounted a 78 Fairmont gas pedal assembly 1 inch off the firewall. I spaced it 1 inch with 2 pieces of 1" square tubing tacked together. An additional hole for the kickdown cable was drilled into the top of the gas pedal assembly. The original kickdown linkage can be used if you have it. I used a 78 Fairmont column shift bellcrank to connect my early Falcon column shifter to a 78 C4. The Ford cable engine throttle bracket will bolt on earlier 65 block with one bolt. It has to be modified if you want to mount it with 2 bolts . (photo is not mine.)throttle linkage.jpg

Last edited:
Back