Installed Alternator

A

Anonymous

I had my Generator removed and an Alternator installed. The shop that installed the unit explained the method of getting the alternator to work properly, I had to give the gas pedal a pump to excite the Alt. and this would show on my idiot gauge as a charging position. Now it's been about a year now and the pumping of the gas pedal is not getting it. Does this mean a Alt going bad? I hear about Discount Auto or Auto Zone giving a quick test of your charging system. It's a portable unit that rolls out to your vehicle and they just make a few connections. Has anybody done this? Is it a reliable test? ...ZZ

ZZ Top":20oieiox said:
I had my Generator removed and an Alternator installed. The shop that installed the unit explained the method of getting the alternator to work properly, I had to give the gas pedal a pump to excite the Alt. and this would show on my idiot gauge as a charging position. Now it's been about a year now and the pumping of the gas pedal is not getting it. Does this mean a Alt going bad? I hear about Discount Auto or Auto Zone giving a quick test of your charging system. It's a portable unit that rolls out to your vehicle and they just make a few connections. Has anybody done this? Is it a reliable test? ...ZZ

I can't speak for Autozoo or Discount Auto. I work at an advance autoparts, and for us to test an alternator, it has to be out of the car.

Personally, I dunno about some of those tests. Something tells me that it will tell you if it's bad, but also might tell you a good alt is bad. That way they can sell more alternator's.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

8) the vat testers that are used to test batteries do also check the condition of the charging system. i have had this done many times over the years and have never had a problem with some one trying to sell me parts i dont need.

what do you mean by "Now it's been about a year now and the pumping of the gas pedal is not getting it."

do you mean your gauge doesnt go into charge?

I had this problem when I had a battery tooo small for my engine (previous owner). when I got that fixed...it went into the charge..but only ever so slightly.

I would check the wires and gauge before I go to a bad alternator. I also had a problem with one of the bolts holding the wire on the back of the alternator fall completely off. THAt was hard to find as it looked like a solid connection!

If it's a one-wire alternator it has to reach a certain speed before it will begin charging, hence the need to pump the gas to bring it up to "field excitation" speed.

In your case, since you've retained the indicator light, there should be a second wire to one of the other terminals on the alternator. Check to make sure that's connected.

You can test the alternator in the car by starting it up, checking the voltage and then revving the engine to get the alternator going. It should read 14-15 volts when charging and around 12V if not charging.

Yes, it's a one post alternator. When I start the engine and rev it up. the Voltage indicator shows it charging. Now after I drive it and turn it off. The needle wouldn't go to charge no matter how much I rev it. But, when I drive it for a longer period of time, the needle will unknowingly jump to the charge position. Another thing that bothers me, is when I turn on the blinkers or apply the brake. The voltage needle shows a direct drop with each blink. Do you think I need a bigger unit, because I don't even have a radio in it and with the set-up I have now I don't think it would work properly. Does this sound like it's makes any sense...ZZ

One wire alternators need to reach a certain RPM before they engage.... if the alternator is not engaging then something is wrong with it, sounds to me like it may be bad....

As for the blinker, mine does that too, I never worried about it too much as my MR2 does that also...

As for the alternator, if you are having trouble with the single wire method, most of those alternators, like my powermaster, can be changed over and wired 3-wire style to bypass the internal cut on, and the alternator will then run when the ignition is turned on....

You might want to change the wiring over the a 3-wire setup first. Or look into a new alternator.... Summit sells the powermaster alterantors...

Back