Mallory Dissy

i brought a 2V head Xctasy and triple 1/3’4 su’s, all on a match ported lynx manifold, the head is fully ported and flowed, bloke is sending me the sheet, carbs are rekitted, head is bare with all new valves, springs, etc, also got a brand new set of Yella Terra roller rockers cheap, so now i will need oil through lifters and pushrods, i am going to whack it all on and hope for the best as i dont want to rebuild the bottom end and run a big solid cam in while trying to sort carbs, so now i need some decent spark and a lesson on SU tuning, going to use head studs.

Cool. SU's are fine to work with, you'll love them. The 2" or 1.875 or 1.75 HIF 44 and 48's flow well over 245 cfm each with the right bellmouths into the carb.

The SU variables are dashpot springs, which controls flutter and creates an accelerator jet action, the type of jetting (later bias or fixed needles) and main jets...there are some really good basic jets which 202 Holden guys use, and the 2V has similar needs. OA6'S on HIF'S were the normal default jets for a worked XU1 or stove hot 208 stroker based on a 179 or 186.

Read through wsa111's posts on the 302 Windsor oil through lifters, he's used em. Seams to be the right stuff to use.

As long as the rockers are oiled and you use the recommended pushrods for the rockers, the whole kit should will work fine, but you need to be aware that its an FE style pushrod system with a few quirks . US guys have always had pushrod to rocker issues in service with the YT roller rocker. Ricksmol and others experience is typical. In an Aussie YT roller rockered 250 with that engines 9.38 deck to crank register, they used Holden 186S pushrods and a certain type of lifter, but in an early US style 200 its only 7.803", and needs a correspondingly way shorter pushrod than that 186 item. Make sure the pushrod diameter matches the type of fitting on the roller rocker, and that there is enough cup to pushrod clearance at maximum lift....its a known problem point. There must be a margin without any contact. And it has to be the same diameter, its very easy to be a few thousanths out.

As the late Brad Girdwood used to say, its awfully easy to screw up a 20 grand engine. But its even easier to muck up an old 200. With a few questions fielded, you'll get all the answers you need, either here, or at the GM-H sites. Its the Holden guys we need to bench mark, they've been making over 300 hp with there L6 since the early 70's, and what they don't know about YT valve gear, SU carbs, and breaking in cams on stock six cylinder blocks isn't worth knowing about.50 years of Red motor experience is a perfect match for a cammed, carbed and 3vee'd Xtra Rapid XR 200.

The rest you'll sort out, heaps of helpful Holden guys are your first port of call, since the late 60's, triple SU'd Holden 179 Reds were making 240 hp or more!. Just three 3.8 Jag, 3.7 or 4.0 Aston Martin or Vanden Plas 4 liter HD8s made over 265 hp a cake walk.

i know the engine has one noisy lifter, so was going to replace, as i want to sort the carbs, i might just use all my gear for now, keep the roller rockers for the fresh build, how much HP is decking the head worth taking into account the thickness of head gaskets these days, not sure what style of gasket is on mine now. Most gaskets i have seen are .050.

Back