Mini-Starter...

Pete,
Yes sir, that's the correct 8.5" flywheel for the smaller bellhousings, and the teeth look to be in very good shape.

Just for reference and IIRC the 8.5" is a 132 tooth count ring gear that is particular to that flywheel...i.e. there is another 132 tooth count gear that works on the automatics/flexplate or torque converter style (not sure which)...from what I understand the auto 132 tooth gear is not a swap for the manual 132 tooth version YMMV ;) .

If anyone has the precise dims (outer and inner for 132 tooth ring gear for the 8.5" manual flywheel, then I'd love to have them to add the tranny info pages (I've got the specs for the 9", 136 tooth gear, but not the 8.5").

The one I could find on Rockauto using "1965", "Ford", "Mustang", "200/3.3L", "Manual", says it's a 157 tooth gear...wrong one...Rockauto stuff is usually pretty spot on.

At any rate the 132 tooth gear for the 8.5" dished manual flywheel can be very hard to find. I'm not aware of current production. So for the price of that ebay flywheel with free shipping, IIWIYS I'd snag it, even just for the ring gear (realize I'm getting to this thread after the auction closed, so I hope you did, if not...) You might check with Tom's Bronco Parts in Medford, Oregon (I know they carry the 136 tooth for the 9" flat flywheel) or John's Mustang out of Houston, TX (he carried a 132 tooth manual gear at one time).

Thanks- I didn't want to bid without knowing for sure if that was the correct flywheel, but- armed with all the information you provided- I'll know what to look for next time (I'll just keep searching on eBay)! For sure I don't need any more parts laying around (wife is starting to comment on the clutter / value of all the stuff that is already laying about :unsure: ).

Car is running great. I think the reason I notice the sudden "surge" at 3k rpm has to do with the mechanical timing advance. I might disable the mechanical advance and see if that smooths things out at the top.

Back