MPGmustang 3rd dyno

MPGmustang

1K+
VIP
Dyno results in!

I'll be running my new engine (in sig), I think I better before it gets 110 outside. this time I have my sig, this is a baseline test before I go to mikes dyno shop for fine tuning. making sure what my AF ratio is then getting a slew of jets, I have suspects that I'm lean at higher speeds (65+) but right on at lower speeds (45-) so the dyno will consist of a few tests.

I'll only have 30 mins' on the dyno so Im making a list of things I want to try. as this is baseline for the new engine what should I be looking for?

I have a few ideas myself:
#'s :eek: (1st in 4th gear as base, and several others in 3rd with various timeings like before)
AF: @ wot = 12.5:1 and cruise ~13.5:1 (any steady speed/gear)
at what vacuum level my Power Valve opens up, looks to be 6.5 vac, but the dyno didn't do much, just jumped from 13.4 to 12.1 very quickly

Results:

Max HP: 101hp (flat line from 3760rpm-4460rpm)
Avg HP: 87hp (range is 2000-4500rpm
Max TQ: 162tq (1900-2200rpm)
Avg TQ: 144tq (1800-4500rpm)

Links to my previous motor...
Dyno1 = 67hp/116tq: pony carb, auto trans, pertronix
Dyno2 = 73hp/143tq: pony carb, t5, pertronix

Thanks guys!
Richard

So, if I read the changes correctly, the biggest ones are the DUI and Cam.

I'd say you'll get the biggest increase from the cam.

I put my money at:

90HP/170ft-lbs

Thanks cobrasix you were really close to the money on your guess, closer than mine...

I was hoping to get higher in the 110 +/- range but still what I have done is pretty good

well I think I want a bigger carb. this pony carb has done it's best and I think i've finally exhausted my mods for this single bbl. we saw it lean out when it reached 4800rpm, and it did it consistantly, meaning the mech fuel pump can't keep up at those RPM's, I'll add an electric fuel pump and control it via switch for when I need it. but other than the range, mech did just fine.

I'm really amazed at the peak HP, it really hugged the numbers consistently

with the 65 jet it stayed around 13.1:1 AF
with the 70 jet it stayed around 12.5:1 AF

as it's summer, and it tends to get warm, I'll run the 70jet to try to keep the car cooler. oh and it made ~5hp more.

like last time I pick the 2 best pulls and avg them together, the first couple pulls were giving 95hp, and I thought hey, why not change the jet, I went from my 65 to a 70, I have nothing inbetween.

the 70 jet is when I first saw 100hp, I made my minimum goal just barely, tripple digits in HP.

I'm not too sure where I wanna go from here, bigger single or take it off and modify for a 2bbl. either way I have enough of everything else to make more power IF i can get more air. I know at least 20hp if I went 2bbl.

what do you guy's think?

I think that's really good for a peewee engine and a guy with practical smarts. So cool.

Very Nice!

And having max torque @ 2000RPM is solid gold!

I would agree, you 1V is likely at the end of it's range. I'd be willing to bet you can get to 105-110 just going to an autolite 2100. I don't think your fuel pump is the problem. I'm running a stock fuel pump with a Holley 4V carb pulling 147RWHP and it's fine. I think the 1V is just at the end of what it can do.

Yah I still have the old 1bbl on my engine and it starts to poop out over 4K rpm, but you can tell there's way more to be had. I've got a 5200 and a Holley 500 to try out this summer.

Hey Gene, sounds like the "kid" just called you out :LOL: We need to work on that fresh air ducting for yours!

gene,
I honestly think that my "pony" carb is really well too small and flows @ 165cfm, I bet if I got a bigger 1bbl carb I'll hit 110hp. I want to test this though, I would like to get my hands on a few carbs. like a carter yf (215 cfm) to take advantage of the 1.75inch log hole. direct bolt on and should take holley jets (easy to find)
I just find it fasinating that both our engines were making .5hp/cid and I possible have less than half your carb, so maybe you were under carbed too with your holley 350.
I know I'm "under carbed" so i wanna try a bigger carb before any radical changes take place.

That would be interesting to see what the power would be with the Carter yf...I bet someone on this board might have one lying around... :)

Howdy All:

MPG- "I honestly think that my "pony" carb is really well too small and flows @ 165cfm"

I'm confused. Stock Autolite 1100s on 200 engines from 1964 to 1967 are rated @ 185 cfm. These all had SCVs for the LoM distributor. The 1100 for 200s were down sized in '68 & '69 to 156 cfm, but the SCV was eliminated and replaced with a Ported vacuum source for the distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance. How did you come up with the 165 cfm rating?

A 1969 Autolite 1101 from a '69 Mustang with a 250 is a nice upgrade over the OEM 1100. It has no SCV and has a ported vacuum source. It has a 1.75" T-bore and is rated at 210 cfm. It was replaced in 1970 with the Carter RBS. It is rated at 215 cfm.

Cfm ratings for Carter YF/YFA carbs by engine sizes.
1.) 170 ci carb was rated at 150 CFM.
2.) 200 ci carb was rated at 187 CFM.
3.) 240 & 250 ci carb was rated at 193 CFM (1975-1979).
4.) 250 ci with RBS was rated at 215 CFM (1970- 1974
4.) 300 ci carb was rated at 220 CFM.

These are just some ideas for other one barrels in your quest for dyno gold. good luck.

Adios, David

David,
It's more of an educated guess, I know I make 101hp at the rear tires, so I'm looking for 100hp on the falcon calulator @ 4000rpm, with my specks by changing the VE
http://www.falcon6handbook.com/compcalculator.asp

so I change to the following
3.72 BORE*
49cc
.050 head gasket
.010 deck
70% VE
4000rpm

And receive
204ci/3.3L
9.3:1 CR
165cfm
98 estimated HP (close to what I acheived on the dyno)

I hope I made sense... if this method doesn't work well then I tried and like i said it's really an educated guess.
note: I know there are drive train losses, but I don't think the engine is "spinning" or "reving" more than the rear tires, it's all "direct" drive (so to speak)

That carb by year list is great! I'll be looking to get my hands on one from a 300ci, 220cfm or the autolite 1101 215cfm as I already have the jets for it. I think a 1bbl is worth a try, I still wanna upgrade to a 2bbl but I'm gonna wait for funds to settle before I do that as my car will be down for a while.

edit: I put stroke, meant bore...

MPG, let me look in my stash later today to see what I have. Might need to be rebuilt but I have some that we might be able to let ya have for testing purposes (y)

CobraSix":35kf8191 said:
I want someone there with a video camera!

Maybe it can be FSPs first live web cast event
Cobrasix, we do have live streaming video at the track let me see if the boss will be around and get it online for that evening. If so I will post the addy as an anouncement.you folks might have to watch some of the other stuff between runs but it would be cool for everyone to see!

Back