MY Crossflow DIY FI intake starts to take shape

mike1157

I was gonna save this progress for my video, but that is just too much of a pain in the ass.

The intake is coming along, I got the throats to all of the ports radiused in, and built the remainder of the transitions to get the air from the throttle body going the way it's supposed to go.
To recap, the intake runners are built from 16ga. 1.750" exhaust tubing. The finished inside diameter of that tube ends up being 1.625" Considering that the stock port in this weenie head is 1.400, that leaves about 1/16" all around that I'll have to blend.

The rest of the thing is built from 2.50"16ga. exhaust tubing. I split a 2' piece that acts as the front of the manifold at the runner entrance, and split a 2.50"J bend to make the back turns. Finally, I'll plate the thing w/ 16 ga sheet metal.

The intake flange plates, and the TB flange plate are made out of 3/8" plate.
dhe4.jpg

eud4.jpg

nf9d.jpg

Now I don't know if the stupid thing will work or not, what I know about intake manifold design could fit on the head of a pin. All I know is that the turbo intakes I've seen on BMW's, and certain Jap cars kinda look like this, so hopefully, I'll be OK.

Tommorrow, I'll fit the injector bungs, and the TB flange plate, then weld that sucker up.

Your fabrication is fabulous as usual. For the high end stuff I think they like to put the tubes inside the plenum a little bit with the bell ends away from the wall. Definitely not worth the work for what we're doing. Your design looks good. I was looking at your other pics of your cold side piping, seems like a long ways to get where you're going. A lot of volume? I guess you have to work with the engine compartment you have. Once that thing's on boost, it should make stupid power. Wish I had your ambition. Go get it done.

Well here it is. For better or worse it's done. I honestly planned to try and TIG the thing together, but I suck so bad at TIG, and I'm so comfortable w/ MIG, I just had to go with what I knew best.

The injector bungs were a concern this morning. How to locate six bungs, get them all spaced properly, taking into account for height, and angle.

How was I gonna do that?

I went to to Home Depot, and bought 1/2" wood dowel. Exactly the same size as the interior of the injector bung, below the O-ring relief. I also bought a piece of 1"x 3/4" wood rectangle stock. Once home, I drilled the wood stock w/ a 1/2" wood bit at the spacing I decided for each port. I cut the dowel into (6) 3" long pieces, and jammed them each into an injector bung. I stuck the other end of the dowel through my wooden fuel rail, and stuck the whole menagerie into the holes I drilled on top of each port runner. I tilted the assembly as far as I thought reasonable, and tacked each inj bung in w/ the MIG. I checked the thing to be sure it hadn't moved, (at least I thought I checked it) and then proceeded to attempt my hand at TIG-ing the things in to the runners. I got it done, but I thought it a huge pain in the ass, and I'm certainly not good enough to make it look all pretty.

But, I managed.

After that was done, I took the jig apart and finished the thing by welding the plates on top and bottom, then welded the TB plate on the snout of the thing.

It was at this time I noticed that the one end injector bung looked ............skewed.

I don't know whether it'll be a bad thing, but that sorry assed thing is in there at a slightly different angle than the rest of them. To add insult to my methodology,.the one right next to it was about 3/32" lower than the rest of them.

I tell you,..it doesn't matter what I do,..I'm gonna screw up something, somehow regardless of what I do to prevent it.
If I have to have that bung machined out of the port runner because of the slight misalignment, I'm gonna be one ****ed off mofo.

At this point, I am absolutely SICK of cutting, grinding, welding this intake. I hope like hell it works. It is light however, only tips the scales at 13 lbs. If I could've made the thing out of aluminum, it would've been half that.
a3aw.jpg

xmws.jpg

drag-200stang":14i5kfmt said:
Your fabrication is fabulous as usual. For the high end stuff I think they like to put the tubes inside the plenum a little bit with the bell ends away from the wall. Definitely not worth the work for what we're doing. Your design looks good. I was looking at your other pics of your cold side piping, seems like a long ways to get where you're going. A lot of volume? I guess you have to work with the engine compartment you have. Once that thing's on boost, it should make stupid power. Wish I had your ambition. Go get it done.
Thanks,...I'm always critical of what I do because I want to be one of those guys that turns metal into art w/ a TIG. Problem is,..I don't want to learn on my intake. Especially on this build where that thing will sit just as high and proud as the obnoxious hot side on the other side of the motor. I see the long pathway as a necessary evil to try and keep charge temps as cool as possible. If I was using an A2A I/C the tubing would have to take a similar path anyway. So we'll just have to hope I don't have a bunch of lag to deal with.

That's like soo bitchin'. Mike. Shouldn't that part of your Shoe Box be called the "The Galleria Monster"

Like, oh my god!
Like - totally
Encino is like so bitchen
There's like the galleria
And like all these like really great shoe stores
I love going into like clothing stores and stuff...
Its like so bitchen...
Super-super nice...
Its like so bitchen...

It does look a little, like too small to me...

Lag won't be a problem, not with that cam and that turbo.

Look compare Lincs 200 with Georges 250 Cortina...the plenumb in a log 200 is about 800 cc, the turbo 250's get as big as 6300 cc with the cat box intakes like George has. The stock EFI 250 turbo which is similar to the 4.9 efi, is about 2300 cc. Your's filled up with water would be about 4 liters or 4000cc, and 100% of total engine capacity is fine.

Nismo guys are using about the size you have.

Lag is primarily a cam verses turbo and intake issue...a large intake, large cam, large turbo will have lots of lag, a small intake, small cam, small turbo won't have hardly any.

George found that as you went wild with the cam, the ability to build almost instant boost was just insane, even with over 500 thou lift and 291 degrees of at lash duration.

He had a 6300 cc US Postal Service letter box with a 4.9 EFI twin throttle body, which incierated tires at the drop of a hat.

You'll have next to no lag with what you've got.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... &p=1619556
xctasy;1592065 said:
And on a turbo charged 250's, like Georges old Crossflow, his F150 4.9 EFI twin bore throttle body got him into the 10's.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1238

George":2sbt6u5o said:
It is a 250 x-flow with ...
BA turbo, Wolf EFI, Motorsport 363 injectors, Aires forged pistons, shotpeened rods. ARP small end and head studs, head work, custom intake with trumpets, intercooler behind factory grill, C4 transmission with extra clutches using Phill soderstrom value body and 2800 rpm stall, 044 pump, 9 inch diff with mini spool 3:00, big GT drums on the back and rod shop conversion XA discs / HQ calipers on the front, 5 studs all round, MH Slicks, VH44 remote brake booster, electric water pump and thermo.

The car was driven to calder and ran a 10.8 using the smaller T04 turbo...it has more power now with the BA unit.

The reason I am getting rid of it is because I bought a capri that I was going to put the motor and box out of the cortina into...BUT after getting the capri home, I realized that the motor will not fit without modifying the firewall, so I opted to put a V8 instead. Now the wife has dick tat ed that the sporty corty must go!.

The cortina is still registered, so with the aid of a RWC can be transfered without going through the pits.

The body is in good condition with very little rust, but the paint is very old and flaky.

This car is for someone who is willing to spend some time to get the beast shining again with a bit of bodywork and interior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6gmsQJqMY4

the capri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxSXPXmdC4

If anyone is interested...let me know

Cheers

Well,..it's done-done. Painted, decorated, and plumbed ( if only in mock up stage)
s8j5.jpg

xujh.jpg

Those are 6o lb/hr EV-1's in there. That should be enough fuel to feed 500 HP.

Back