Need your help to identify ford flathead 6

A

Anonymous

:unsure:: Looking for some quick schooling on early flathead Ford six's. I have a early dirt track sprint car from the 40's that originally had a Ford Flathead six engine. Can anyone tell me when the engine was first used in a production car or truck? What were the Cubic inch displacements and how many years were they used? I am new to these engines and would like to find out more for the restoration of this car to it's original configuration. One last question are speed parts still readily available for this type engine? Thanks for your time!

Jeff (hissonut1) hissonut1@msn.com

E-mail me if you would like me to email back a photo of the car in its heyday.

The one I was wondering about has the distributor on the front which is the 41 to 47 model G by that web site. That is exactly the information I was looking for and I really appreciate that link!
Did anyone manufacture a hi-po intake manifold or split exhaust manifold for this engine? What about racing type cams?

oh, well in that case, i'm glad to have helped

an intake or header shouldn't be that hard to get fabricated, if nothing else turns up

I recommend installing a 48 and later flathead six, instead of the G series. I have a friend with a stock '47 two door sedan with a G series. Power is not the problem, oil pressure and distributor accesability is. The later H (and M) series engines are a lot better. The one to find is actually the M. This was a bus / two ton truck motor. It is 254 cubes instead of 226 by virtue of its .200 larger bore. H series motor production ended after '51, but M production continued through '53 on F-6 and F-600 trucks. The M block is identifiable by the part number cast into the oil pan rail on the drivers side. If you find a complete, untampered with engine then identification is easy because the M head has the letter M cast as part of the part number and the oil pan has a wider sump that looks tacked on. I had to buy a truck to get my M motor (they are not easy to find). As for split exhaust manifolds, please see my reply about flathead six speed parts a couple of posts back. Good luck and post some pictures!

I run the M-series 256 flat six motors in my cars. If you are serious about running one I know where there are a few laying around for sale. A little costly, but they ARE hard to find these days. Vinny G.
P.S./If you are wanting to run dual exaust (split manifolds) I know of a company that will perform this task, but you will need two stock exaust manifolds. One will have to be from the automobile and the other from a truck. The difference being is that the down tube is aft of the carb on the car and the other is forward of the carb, on the truck. If you need more info just email me. Good luck. Vinny

Back