All Small Six Oil pump for 1961 Falcon - Melling has two options.

This relates to all small sixes
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of ordering a replacement oil pump for a 61 Falcon. I'm not sure if it's the 144 or 170 (how do you tell them apart?). Regardless, Melling offering two pumps which they say work for both engines. Are there any brands other than Melling to consider? I haven't found any searching.

One of the pumps has a neck which is 5/16th of an inch longer than the other. There's an M-65 which is the shorter, and an M-65C which is the longer. How do I determine which to order?

Additionally, both pumps only come with one gasket. Does the pump need two (one for the engine block surface, and one for the pickup tube), or is one supposed to be a metal to metal contact?

Thanks

To ID your engine look at the vin number or Warrantee Door Jamb tag number if you need help to decode it post it here. Also look for the block Casting / Desin numbers these can give a close General idea of the year of the block and if it's still the orginal engine. On the top of the road draft tube boss is stamped a letter code for ID purposes, this is located on the driver side front corner of the engine block just below the head gasket parting line. Good luck

The pump does not need a gasket to the block. The gasket is for the pickup screen.
You are going to have to see which pump you have in your engine. Both are standard pressure. Only difference is length.
Give Melling a call & see if they know.

If your engine is still original to your 1961 car and that could be a big if after all these years, so you need to at least check the block casting numbers first if you happen remove the oil pump yet. That said both the early 144, 170, first 200 engines from 1960 to 1964 all used the same oil pump with a standard lenght mounting and a 1/4 inch oil pump drive, so in my OPIN this is the M-65 oil pump but find out if this is a 1/4 inch drive pump. The M-65B & M-65C are for the newer 1965 up Ford Six'es and they all used the bigger 5/16 inch drive oil pumps. The extra lenght of the M-65C would maybe help if you are planing on using the ARP Main Studs instead of Main Bolts. The Melling oil pumps are great but you can also get a Sealed Power Oil Pump which is probally also good quality, though I gave never used anything but Melling's. Best of luck

I appreciate the responses. Thank you.
So I took out the old pump today. I tested it by submerging the bottom in oil and turning the shaft by hand. Oil began to flow out of the top. I'm not sure if that's a definitive test or not.
The drive shaft has some wear on the section that was in the distributor. Photo below. When inserted into the distributor gear I am able to rotate it slightly back and forth, just a little, but I am able to. Any potential issue here?20210621_155040.jpg

What dose the oil pump drive shaft measure across the flats? Looks like it might be a 5/16 if so that would mean you have a newer engine. That much wear like that at the distributor end might be the cause of your problem carfully check out the hex drive end of the distributor shaft. I have had a no oil pressure situation once or twice from a worn out distributor shaft that let the oil pump drive shaft slip in the distributor hex end. Good luck

Measuring flat to flat is 1/4.
I am going to pull the distributor and check the end. Is it possible to replace just the hex drive portion of the distributor?

Being the 1/4 inch drive than that makes it one of early engines (144 or 170) so then it will use the Melling M-65 oil pump. No the hex is broched into the bottom of the distributor shaft if it's worn out you would need to replace the center shaft or find another distributor. Best of luck

Thanks for the help. So, I ordered a distributor/pump/new shaft. That way all bases seem covered. The distributor is a remanfactured Cardone. I've read mixed things, but the price was good and not many options out there. So, hopefully ok. I'll keep the old distributor as well.

The oil pump arrived. It has some machine marks and some excess material on a seam. Any risk of the coating or material flaking off? Or, am I just overthinking it and go ahead and use the pump?

Attachments

• 20210626_094015.jpg
    20210626_094015.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210626_094045.jpg
    20210626_094045.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210626_094129.jpg
    20210626_094129.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
It will be ok with a just a light cleaning of its exterior and if you wanted to you can also grind off any of that excess casting flash, that's what they did in some of those shiny areas. It's not absolutely nessisary but I often do deburing and extensive grinding inside and out while prepping some of my personal performance or racing short blocks and heads removing all that kind of casting flash so there's no chance any of it could ever break off, it also can help in some areas of the head to help return the oil back to the oil pan quicker. Still after tearing down several hundred engines over the years I haven't yet found any casting flash that broke off during the engines use. After you do any cleaning and or grinding, and are ready to install the oil pump squirt some engine oil into the neck port and turn the pump so that its primed good. Best of luck

Back