All Small Six Performance question

This relates to all small sixes
Well, everything in car restoration is a pain in the ass or a lot of fun, depending on how you look at it. I take my time and work through everything in front of me to be done.

I agree, just do not wanna pin my self into a situation that I can not get the headers installed and have to put the old manifold back on. Did u do the exhaust urself or go to a shop. Any issues driving it to a shop with open headers?

I agree, just do not wanna pin my self into a situation that I can not get the headers installed and have to put the old manifold back on. Did u do the exhaust urself or go to a shop. Any issues driving it to a shop with open headers?
I bought the exhaust from VI and installed it myself. I had to trim a couple of things to fit and tweak it a bit. Whether you get hassled about driving with open headers is probably a matter of where you live. I was ticketed once for running open pipes on a Harley, so it happens.

Yeh, good point. How long to install the headers do you think? My guess was at least 6-8 hrs minimum. I feel like getting the manifold is straight forward, granted the bolts do not give me any issues. The headers themselves should be more time consuming d/t issues people run into. I would think jacking up the car and coming form underneath would be my best bet, no?

Yeh, good point. How long to install the headers do you think? My guess was at least 6-8 hrs minimum. I feel like getting the manifold is straight forward, granted the bolts do not give me any issues. The headers themselves should be more time consuming d/t issues people run into. I would think jacking up the car and coming form underneath would be my best bet, no?
I installed them from the top and only removed the starter. I put in the studs at each end of the headers to position them, installed the nuts a couple of threads, and reinstalled the starter. Then I put in the remaining studs and tightened all the nuts. The hardest part was installing the lower tubes on my headers and getting them positioned correctly. I doubt it took more than a couple of hours all told to install the headers.

Yeh, the VI and Ebay ones are two pieces. The Clifford are one piece. My biggest concern, besides the starter, is the throttle linkage. Theses companies should provide step by step instructions. At least I think I now have a good approach to this. One last thing, did you have to many any carbs adjustments for idling/running after the install?

Yeh, the VI and Ebay ones are two pieces. The Clifford are one piece. My biggest concern, besides the starter, is the throttle linkage. Theses companies should provide step by step instructions. At least I think I now have a good approach to this. One last thing, did you have to many any carbs adjustments for idling/running after the install?
Setting up the linkage is very straightforward, but you can read up on what others have done since it's a common product (Lokar cables). I bought a jet kit but haven't fully sorted the carb yet. I'm replacing part of the floor and will paint the car and worry with all the engine tweaks then.

Oh, you did not run it with the 1v Autolite? I am probably gonna run it with my 1v Holley for right now. Others have said I should be fine.

Oh, you did not run it with the 1v Autolite? I am probably gonna run it with my 1v Holley for right now. Others have said I should be fine.
If you look at post #19 you'll see Kristas setup; Weber 38 with a direct 2bbl mount.

You will be fine with the 1v Autolite. For now.

I upgraded to the Weber and the headers/2.25" exhaust because of the greater flow of the large log head. I'm attempting to maximize the performance of the engine overall. After I look at the engine bores and check out the head, I'll decide on future upgrades. I know from using the endoscope that I have dished pistons. I'm sure I'll ask for input here when I get to that point.

H without the port divider? I heard it does not sound well that way.
I would suggest a port divider in any case, as the fueling changes for those two cylinders if you don't (I-E pressure differential affecting VE). With EFI, you can tweak to help (band-aid), but with carbs you can't, and those two will limit the others in any case.

Hey P, I installed my Clifford headers today. I am touching what looks to be the brass transmission lines. Should I heat wrap the headers? Obviously I will try to bend the lines away as much as I can. Should I be worried?

Do not wrap the headers cause it will promote cracking due to being brittle.

Wsa, what do u recommend? The lines are coming from the front of the block and touching the bottom header collector. I would imagine the heat would bust the lines?

Bend the lines away best you can without damaging them and wrap the lines separately to insulate them from the heat to prevent possibly coking the oil.
The lines will not burst unless they are plastic or rubber.

Last edited:
I would think that the stuff made for exhaust should hold up and easy to get, use some small hose clamps to hold.

Back