Questions about conversions 1V to 2V

my YF (on a "car's" 170 - 2 dip sticks, one near dizzy, other in pan) is denting the hood w/o any a/c housing or the 2 legged tension spring or bail style "screw posts" that the thumb nut threads onto to hold the a/c housing/filter element. I'm still tryin to ID the air cleaner housing I got with it in '83. It sits on a long wire arm on the passenger side below valve cover or at valve cover hight. It IS oe for some ford I'm almost certain. Can't seem to get a pic on here offa Snap fish. The part that comes over the V/C & snaps onta the carb's top ring is only 3/8th to 1/2 inch at the most. Imagine me tryin to get one of my 250's in there. This site has been very helpful (see my 5 # list, I think there's bout 2 more items, I'll look in my archive, but several don't wrk 4 U guys cuz mine's a "truck" not a nice 'stang/falcon, etc).
I could not see what Slade's done in his pic but that's a new one on me, even the 4 or 5 yrs. I've been lookin at his pic never could tell, till it wuz just mentioned here. I get what's been done now, but...Is it the triangled screen or the long narrow oblong one? 8)

Thanks!

The 4180c Holley 4-bbl carb has a primary with choke, and a secondary without air horn.

4180.jpg

If you use two older style Lemans bowel 2-bbl carbs with the air horn cut back like the 2300 series six pack carb, you can back to back them, have one on the rocker cover, one over the intake, and get 4-bbls of carburation without any space limitations

510-0-4365-1.jpg

If the 2-bbl without an air horn is placed where its is now, and the other carb with and air horn is placed to the right and down, you'll get 4-bbls of carb operation without air cleaner or clearance issues. A Cobra6 style intake around the opposite way will allow everything to package perfectly. Its an air cleaner everywhere the world over

See http://kastang.tripod.com/offenhauserreview.html

21"x 2" Paper Style Replacement Air Filter Fits Cobra Style Oval Air Cleaners

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section7.pdf

BYAJG815 Large oval for Cobra filter £30.20 and
BYM-9600-C302 Ford Racing “Cobra” air cleaner 21-1/8” x 10-1/16” aluminium top £96.86
This oval aircleaner assy, looks good under the bonnet of most Cobras. Comes with PCV connection, mounting stud & wing nut.
The bottom pan is flat. The element is a replaceable “paper” element. Fits a 4 barrel carb with the common 5-1/8” top platform.
Height required from the carb platform to the top of the air-cleaner is approximately 58mm. The wing nut is clear of the top a further
14mm. Aluminium top with “Cobra” in raised letters.

Stamped steel
1964½ 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1972 1972 1973
http://mustangpartshouse.com/engine/air ... item-.html
Part No. ENG-606
Ford No. S1MS-9600-CHR
-Air Cleaner Element, #S1MS9601A

http://www.naparts.com.au/PDF/SEC2%20NA ... 0LOW-2.pdf
40803 AIR CLEANER INSERT 40803 21" x 10" Oval 2" Tall
21" x 10" Aluminium or Chrome
Steel Top. 2" Paper Element, Fits
Carburetors with 51/8" Neck
40804 Chrome Steel Single Carb
40806 Chrome Steel Dual Carb

ludwig":7mzv7bpc said:
Chad, yes that is the 'drop base. It only rises about 3/4" above the top of the carb but the walls are like 3" tall. It sits down on the valve cover sorta.

Thank you, bud!

It seams like you guys have all the links.

This is, in my opinion, the best money has to buy.

http://mmb.maverick.to/gallery/files/1/ ... /after.jpg

after.jpg

It follows the French Renualt/Citroen/Peugoet or Toyota Lancruiser or Hilux SR5 way of remote filter location with a simple 2-bbl Weber style carb. Its been done that way since the 1955 ID 19 'Goddese' engine.

motorDS19-1956-2.jpg

Toyota were still doing it in the export carb SR5's with 2.366 liter four cylinder engines in the 90's and Naughtees.

2002.06.14_ToyotaHiLIx_SR5_eng.jpg

Classic Inlines sells the kit because a little 450 hp 250 Turbo engine makes a car do sub 11 second quarter miles with one of these kind of remote offset air cleaner adaptors,

http://mmb.maverick.to/gallery/files/1/ ... /after.jpg

I guess need to provide re submit the evidence and let the details sink in. Maybee the language I'm using isn't helpfull, but the evidence speaks for itself.

MEL Mercury Edsel Lincoln 223 i6 side air cleaner,
Early Bronco, F100, F150 offset air cleaner on 170 cid or 250 cid its all the same,

A smart Ford standard part offset air cleaner after a fashion. Each solution doesn't ever help reduce total carb height or hood distance because they don't use the good old Aussie 250 2v Ford logic of shifting the carb to the right hand side of the engine bay, or the Mopar 340 and 440 Six Pack Tripower 2-bbl 2300 and 4-bbl Holley 4150/4160/4180c method of savagely cutting down reducing the height of the secondary parts of the carb package.

I trust that everyone here can see in between the lines of the many incarnations of 223 Edsel, 170 Bronco and 250 with F100/F150 air cleaner, and the many alterantive 2V 250 and Classic Inlines head packages. The two are left and right bows to the soulution. I've invented nothing, but the under hood carb space and air cleaner solution is a fresh variation of two age old late 60's design solutions from the smartest Detriot engineers, since the 2V 250 was an American spin off development, just like the first All Aussie 1972 Falcon was really a US design study which got done in the US first..

All this talk is talk about the solutions and 'things' that already exist.

When you compare to the Australian 2v way of moving the carb to the right verses the US log way of just fidling withthe air cleaner housings, a joint approach of doing boath allows you to fit a 2-bbl carb under the hood with ease.

In this, we have two methods of underhood clearance, the Aussie way, and the US way. Each have merrit.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... aner-1.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... LEANER.jpg

As for me, the following are basic Paint alterations, but show the basic idea I tired to convey with as few links as possible

The 90 degree turned air cleaner is either a dual snorkel version of the cut and shut stock 3.3 item from the 80's, or the common Cobra item

of the 1st three large pic the 3rd looks most likely to fit my 1/2 inch space. The "carb hat" one (I think is CI's) is too high. This odd oe housing that (all metal) came w/the "car 170" in my bronk is about that low. It sits the ac element over to the passenger side. May B

"...MEL Mercury Edsel Lincoln 223 i6 side air cleaner,
Early Bronco, F100, F150 offset air cleaner on 170 cid or 250 cid its all the same..."

it came w/the "170 bronk" engine and they kept that with the pan (remember I got 2 dip sticks) when puttin in the 'car 170'. I always thought it might be from who-knows-where (even non-ford) or the "car 170" engine. The only ac housing on a I6 I've seen is one shown on another thread here (I think Ron's pic) and it's on the 'wrong' side (driver's). To me it's kinda round and ugly while this one is more angular and thin profiled (esp the over-the-valve cover part. The rest is just a standard circular element housing seen in over the carb models).

The previous owner may have swung it around, but the Early Bronco 170 engines all had drivers side air cleaner elements far as I can tell.

airdia6Cyl.gif

And the 1904 1-BBL Holley glass bowel equiped MEL 223 engine

me6oRIeoW0sycXGTIL99wNQ.jpg

Thanks "X",

Yes, that's similar to what Rich posted for the bronk pic (actual photo). Mine, the piece from the wing nut to the 'canister,' is 1/2 that high, flat and svelte, comparatively (girl'd have an expanded ego w/this 'shape'!). Your sketch-style view of the '66 - '69 I6 in-a-bronk reminds me the vehicle had an I6 till '74, I believe (the last 2 yrs - the 200ci) so that leaves 5 more yrs that this thing I have COULD be a 170/200 bronk ac housing? (or a car's, or not even ford's). The inquest goes on (30 yrs worth now, low level thank goodness... imagine!).

He also (in a separate post) put up the 'sideways' a/c U have w/the glass bowl(ed) carb but w/o any engine to refer to. I've never seen that glass bowl! Very cool. And now I see it AND the odd ac actually ON an engine. Glass bowels I've seen look to be older and on more tractor-like (hang under) carbs. Idea musta been 2 observe cleanliness, dump if dirty? May B I saw em on (ford) Ts or As? May B british or italian 50s & 60s? One of the 2 engine bay fuel filters I use is glass torpedo shaped. There's a clear plastic one that's more afordable. Both U can observe the fuel & filter, change when desired. Much rather have something like the glass bowl on the Holley 1904.
8)

I see that side mount air cleaner with the glass bowl carb is a current flea-bay B I N auction...

JAGGUY":2l7zfgss said:
I see that side mount air cleaner with the glass bowl carb is a current flea-bay B I N auction...

nice (the pair!), but they go on a 223, no? Wanna adapt them to the 200/250? Might not B very hard at all.

Glass bowls were just a Holley 1904 thing....other carbs were done by Aisan for the FJ series 4 x4 Landcruisers and other Jap cars which usede the 2-bbl Aisan carb. Ford Courier 1800's used it, I think.

aisancarbmonikersd40fj60carb.jpg

There are two blown up 145 hp 223 Edsel 6 1904 combos. We were shown the red one first.

Edsel2231904HolleyAirCleanerUntitled.png

Edsel2231904HolleyAirCleanerV2.jpg

They won't work with the spring towes in the X shell unibody Fords, although perhaps a Fox body or Early Bronco without EGR would be able to make one work. The 223 was found in very wide engine bays and the 223/262 engines had very long branch intakes. Nice to see how Ford used to do there sixes. By the time the 170/200 and 250 came in, the engine became very narrow. The 2v intake was a return to the early 223/262 manifolding, with the carb far out from the rocker cover of the engine

There was a lot of variance, some offset

edselsix3627-41329320540-4v2.jpg

Edsel2231904HolleyAirCleanerV3.jpg

See http://www.collectioncar.com/files/3627 ... 0540-4.JPG

can14.jpg

attachment.php

fw

looks more '40s USA than '60s USA to me...

Again I just luv pic!!!
best thing bout the 'puter.
(Even better than DVD 4 some reason)
. :oops:
So Ken (the gent from Ghent) how you doin on yer 1V to 2V conversion?????

Back