Single Rail G/Box -> Shifter Detaching

A

Anonymous

My 1st post in nearly a month...lol

Ok, anyone who has owned a single rail 4sp, has probably found that the nylon ball pivot at the end of the shifter, has the anoying tendency to wear out it's threads, and then lift up straight out of the transmission, when you are in heavy traffic, leaving you with no gears.

I am being driven nuts by this, as It as happened to me 3 times in the past 2 years. I am so peeved (by this and other assorted ford problems), that I was looking at buying a holden HZ/WB ute.

Does anyone have any PERMINANT fixes for this problem.

I have used loctite, brought a new assembly for $50 (I was really peeved when I found them for $15 yesterday), and this time, I have wrapped a new thread in thread tape. I was going to fit a hose clamp over it all, but the damn thing wont stay on, due to a bar cast into the housing.

Cheers,
Dylan

Try this one;

Drill four holes into the shifter hole, put the ball pivot in, and insert four self-tapping screws in through the freshly drilled holes in the shifter mount, into the nylon ball pivot..

Apart from that, I'd suggest its new gearbox / car time.... :unsure:

BTW, whats this about needing a new seat?

hmm, pretty extreme...lol. I was almost thinking of welding those metal fold down tabs onto the box housing. Melting the nylon would be a concern though.

Had to buy a new drivers seat, becuase where the reclining mechanisum joins the seat on the old one had snapped, so it always felt like it was loose, as If I leant back, the seat would too. Not much fun when going uphill....lol.

It's typical Ford crap, this auto-reclining function on seats, Bullet. The XE had a neat centrefold bench. Wife had it break on her. Lota fun!

Now its got a nice safe XB bench!

Welding?? what was that about extreme? :LOL:

Come round and look how it is on my 503. I think you'll find its a Piece, I probably just messed up the description.

Either that, or you'll need to Modify Your Driving Habits.. Loctite in the threads worked Extremely Well for me!!

Disco,
Do as everyone else has done.
Obtain some 1/16 welding wire or any fine but pliable wire.
Start on top of the tangs and wrap the wire one around the plastic nut.
Loop the wire arond the gearbox housing and secure/tighten.
Start again from the other side and do the same securing the plastic nut at the other side.
With the plastic nut in the correct position the wire will hold the handle and nut in position.
Noel.

Noel, you must be related to Noel Tuckey from Dirty Wheels in "Wheels" and Street Machine. You are very cunning!

I don't do manuals. I like to hear the never ending rattle of my BW35 three on the tree gear linkage. Hate the lever to fall off. Not very romantic, mate!

As for the wire idea, thats what is holding my nylon bush/nut in place. Hasnt missed a beat yet. "touch wood"
i'd say, give it a go.
-Mike.

Thanks for the tip, Noel. The gearbox came like that, I picked it up s/h, but its been recently recond. I'm assuming the gearbox shop did that to prevent the shifter popping out.

Good to hear about an easier solution..

XECUTE,
No I have only met one motoring writer/journalist and I thought he was a pretentious prat.
Full of his own self importance.
But I would rather fix something the easy way that works than spent hours and a million dollars to go the factory way.
Which may or may not be better.
Noel, the lazy bastard.

Bravo! As*ole and B*llsh** free zone then!

I've driven behind a few single rails, and I think they are pretty good aside from the gear whine. Why the heck hasn't any body sorted out a decent fix...is it that Ford, Valiant, Leyland and Borg-Warner made too much money from the ball joint botch up?

Hey, has anyone seen Silver Bullet S-pack lately?

Maybe:-

1) he Gunned his Single Rail and Took the Nylon Ball out again, or
2) His seatback collapsed again aften shooting uphill. ( Tip a wooden bear crate holds the thing up in emergencies...empty of course....just taking the pi** out of you when you aren't here to defend yourself!)

Perhaps some :) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) will provoke him into action!

1161 posts from this guy!!!

lol, yeah I'm still around, just havent been visting very often.....lol.

Got a few odds and ends to take care of, and then I can settle back into my usual routine of visting here each day before starting work.

BTW I cheated on my post count, you have actually put up more posts than me....lol.

Like buying books?

/me sees the $$$ flying out of his wallet......

Silver Bullet the Penthouse Photographer (from your profile anyway)...didn't know there were that many Penthouses in Oz!

We were scared you may have gotten emasculated during a photo "Shoot"

Disco', your too clever for me. I'm just a thick Kiwi who uses big words. You're a clever Aussie who uses simple words...so simple I can't understand 'em.

I'll forget about the books...my last Wheels and Street Machine subs sent me into an a negative cash situation.

All I know about stripping nylon threads I learned form Noel Tuckey/George Ambrose in Dirty Wheels, a Wheel column. I'm so old I remember Rombsey Quints.

oh, I've just spent a couple of hundy I'd previously earmarked on a new diff and registration on some quite exxy computing books. Namely Unix and C. Since what dylan does is running on a street somewhat parallel to mine, I'd assumed he was taking care of uni shizz.. and whatever else comes assorted with that!

Still, you cant be totally thick! I mean, one who works on roads.. hm. Perhaps you're on the wrong end of the shovel there.. One who can recite articles located in Street Machine mags up to, not restricted to 15 years in age would have to have the brains possessed by Wallace Footrot and The Dog combined!!

:unsure:

Geez. With accolades like that I'll need a g-clamp to get out the door on account of getting a swelled head!!!

XECUTE,

LOL, nah, I'm not really sure how tireing it is taking pictures for a particular classy publication.

I'm actually a second year Software Engineering student.

I see you are a Civil Engineer. Are you by anychance a member of the IEEE, or any of those sorts of engineering societies? If so, is it worth it? From the publications I have read, they all seem to still focus on the more traditional engineering fields.

Cheers,
Dylan

Hey addo, were not off the topic here...this is all about knobs and shifting!!!!

Silver, I'm not a member of the NZ equivelent IPENZ yet. I'm actually an NZ Certificate In Civil Engineering, which was done at Polytechnic and partly by correspondance school. Had to get five years of work experience to get it, but I'm not quite a professional yet... almost there!

I do process control/quality assurance for some of our contracts, road roughness measurement, nuclear density tests, pavement designes, inspections, all the nasty computer lookup tables and data manipulation that's such a cost killer for contractors. And liason with professional consultants. Not bad for a country kid whos only built earth dams and did materials testing in a lab from 1990 to 2001. Didn't mean to go so far, but all the smart Kiwis decided to leave and become Aussies :rolflmao: :eek:z:

So I'm here minding the fort until they come back!!!

hey fellas, sorry to but in on your convo, but thought id let ya know a large sledge hammer also has no problems holding your drivers seat up!!!!!! i had one holdiong mine for about 3 months!!!! :eek: untill i finally got round to replacing it! could serve as an iteresting weapon too!

-matt-

Back