All Small Six Solid lifter question

This relates to all small sixes

fast64ranchero

I ran into two problems when I tried to get my engine primed to fire up.
The first problem is when I primed the oil pump I never got oil to the rockers and it got me wondering if I have the correct lifters. I( need oil through solid lifters). Have any of you guys pulled a solid lifter apart? the one I pulled apart has a solid puck inside with no way that I can tell for oil to go through it to feed the push rod and rockers. If I remember right I need Lifters for a FE? If not what is the cross over lifter?
Thanks for the help

The small block Ford (SBF) like a 289, 302, & both 351’s had Lifters that are used with the oil through type push rods.

The small block Ford (SBF) like a 289, 302, & both 351’s had Lifters that are used with the oil through type push rods.
Is that the lifter to use on our small 6? I was thinking they used FE lifters? or is that just for the standard oil flow through the rocker shaft?

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt, the FE would be for a stock rocker type shaft that oils though the block, head and then shaft. The 302 would be if you need oil up the pushrods to oil Aussi after mkt rockers. One thing to think about is the FE 200 lifter is 3/8'' and the 302 is 5/16'' I think, but I have used 302 lifters on 3/8'' rod end without problems. What rocker are you using?

Terra Yellow rockers and I think I have FE lifters in it, that would explain no oil to the top end. So, SBFord lifters Is what I need to purchase. My push rods are custom length Smith Brothers with 5/16 balls with 3/8 tube

Yes, use SBFordV8, of course the push rods you have are oil through, there maybe a little difference in lifter height, let us know if that is the case when you get them.

Looking I see Comp Cams has a lifter with EDM hole, more $ but if it helps keep the cam and lifters in good shape be worth the extra dollars. Thanks guys!

If you have not sealed off the block oil passage at the block surface or put the rear cam bearing purposely blocking the passage up the block, people say you may leak oil at the head gasket. Not sure how big a problem it is. But I RTVed it off, being careful not to pump it too far and mess up the cam bearing, some people tap it and plug it.

At the risk of offending you, the small knock in oil galley plug is in place behind the cam sprocket, I have let that one slip by before, it is so easy to miss.

I used a small freeze plug in the oil galley and epoxied over the top of the plug to stop oil flow, as far as the plug behind cam sprocket, I.m pretty sure it is in place. been a while sense I built this thing.
As for bad news, I ended up with anti freeze in the oil pan before I even started it. only thing I can find is the water jacket on the head is not correctly positioned at the back of the head and not covered correctly by the head gasket. Head is at the machine shop for pressure testing. If it passes the head will need repaired at the water jacket area.

Back