T5 & 250

L6

Two questions please.

1. How much drama to fit a T5 to a 250.

2. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay for the gearbox and also any other bits and pieces required.

Series 2 (1987) XF Falcons came with T5's..

they used the same T5 from the XF to the EA.

all u need is the T5 from a XF falcon.. and u can bolt up any T5 from XF.. EA - EL.. AU T5's Gear Shifter are about 50mm further than the XF-- EL so thats y i havent listed them.. (Also make sure u get a 6 cyl T6. as the V8 T5's have a different length input shaft..)

I am doing a T5 Conversion to my 250 Xflow Cortina using a EF T5
Using a 3500lbs upgraded XR8 clutch tho (standard is 1800lbs)..

http://www.ford-cortina.net/cortina/1977-TE-Cortina/Buildup/t5-kit.htm

(If ur changing from AUTO)
U Need Manual Pedal Box, T5 Gearbox, XF T5 Bellhousing.. (can get aftermarket from Castlemaine Rod Shop), Clutch Cable, Clutch, Flywheel (Auto uses a Flex Plate).. and also keep the Bolts from the Flywheel.. as theyre longer than the Auto bolts. and yeh.. in 1 day u can do the complete conversion.. if ur quick and got all the right tools. and are prepared..

XF T5's = rare and pricey coz theyre hard to find... EA are same as XF tho.. and go for about $200.. dunno about in between.. but EF-EL are about $700-$800... Ford wants $1500 for a brand new T5 so yeh.. gives u a good idea on pricing.

Before posting this question I did some quite thorough searching of the archives and got a bundle of material but became lost between the info appropriate for US and Oz sourced parts.

P100 Ute":3ej8ra5p said:
Series 2 (1987) XF Falcons came with T5's..

they used the same T5 from the XF to the EA. all u need is the T5 from a XF falcon.. and u can bolt up any T5 from XF.. EA - EL..

AU T5's Gear Shifter are about 50mm further than the XF-- EL so thats y i havent listed them.

I think I read that there were variations in the strength of those used in XF, EA-EL, AU is that the case?

I am guessing the bolt pattern changed with the intro of the OHC, so a complete EA box will require the bell swapped with either a genuine XF bell (probably hard to find) or one from an aftermarket supplier.

the earlier the T5.. the stronger.

the EF/EL T5's have a tapered bearing.. these in the USA were konwn as a World Class Series or something ?

the older XF/EA T5's were the worst.. no syncho on 1st / reverse.

i duno about the EB- ED box's.. but the EF/EL T5's are the best.. if u can get a Xr6 box.. even better..

you could e-mail Ford thru their website. www.ford.com.au
and ask them for the specs on each T5 from the XF -- EL and that will give u the best knowledge on the T5's.

just had a conversion done cost including someone to install it and a h/d clutch cause of my turbo $1500.

P100 Ute":1lxno57f said:
XF T5's = rare and pricey coz theyre hard to find...
EA are same as XF tho.. and go for about $200.. dunno about in between..
EF-EL are about $700-$800...
Ford wants $1500 for a brand new T5 so yeh.. gives u a good idea on pricing.

Have been trying to hunt down a T5/XF bellhousing but nothing has shown up.
Is this going to be difficult to find
How much should I expect to pay
Is there a flat plate adaptor to bolt a "E" bell to a "X" motor?

yes.. the XF T5 Bellhousing is hard to find..

call CastleMaine Rod Shop.. they do an aftermarket bellhousing to bolt T5's to the 250 block.

i dont know how much it will cost. but i bought my kit (XF T5 Bellhousing/3500lbs clutch/heavy duty flywheel/clutch cable) all for $350

ass for a Adaptor plate.. i havent heard of one.. but the E Series starter motor is on the pasenger side... where as X series is on drivers side

and on a 250 block u cant put a starter motor on the passenger side due to how the engine is constructed.

so i dont see how u could do it.. my guess.. impossible..

L6":ipqg5nxt said:
P100 Ute":ipqg5nxt said:
XF T5's = rare and pricey coz theyre hard to find...
EA are same as XF tho.. and go for about $200.. dunno about in between..
EF-EL are about $700-$800...
Ford wants $1500 for a brand new T5 so yeh.. gives u a good idea on pricing.

Have been trying to hunt down a T5/XF bellhousing but nothing has shown up.
Is this going to be difficult to find
How much should I expect to pay
Is there a flat plate adaptor to bolt a "E" bell to a "X" motor?

Where are you located L6?

No not related. Sorry no reply Peter, been extra busy. I will PM or call you when I have stacks of time to reply properly. But your project sounds cool anyway. I knew you weren't in a big hurry so I didn't want to rush a reply. Will talk in the next few weeks.

xdee":1uzrnqzn said:
No not related. Sorry no reply Peter, been extra busy. I will PM or call you when I have stacks of time to reply properly. But your project sounds cool anyway. I knew you weren't in a big hurry so I didn't want to rush a reply. Will talk in the next few weeks.

That is fine, look forward to a call/PM when you have time.

Back